logging exercise

Options
I wear a pedometer to count the number of steps I take each day .. according the this peometer 10,000 steps= 250 calories burned .. My question is... is this considered normal daily activity ? and if I log this as exercise am I cheating myself ? do i only count exercise over and above this ? All comments appreciated, . . thanks & have a great day everyone :)

Replies

• ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise. Normal walking doesn't elevate the heart rate enough to really account for any significant calorie burn. Just sitting in a chair for 5 hours will burn 250 calories.
  • tickletickle
    Options
    depends what you have your activity level set as, i have mine as sedentary so i can log cleaning etc, as some days i do more or less than others. If you are lightly active i wouldnt add it.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i wouldnt log it as extra, either.
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    i agree for logging cardio exercise i really means stuff that makes you at least a little out of breath, so in would only count that
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a company that made pedometers, so I can offer up some expert advice.

7,000 steps/day is what is recommended by the CDC. The way to reach 7,000 is to wear the pedometer from the time you get up to the time you go to bed and add a 1/2 hr walk to your day. You would then log the 1/2 hour walk as your exercise on MFP.

If you are reaching 10,000 steps/day that means you are doing above and beyond an extra 1/2 hour walk added to your day. To be on the safe side calorie-wise I would suggest logging a 45 minute walk, moderate pace for the days you reach 10,000. For 7,000 it would be a 1/2 hr walk on top of your normal daily walking.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a company that made pedometers, so I can offer up some expert advice.

7,000 steps/day is what is recommended by the CDC. The way to reach 7,000 is to wear the pedometer from the time you get up to the time you go to bed and add a 1/2 hr walk to your day. You would then log the 1/2 hour walk as your exercise on MFP.

If you are reaching 10,000 steps/day that means you are doing above and beyond an extra 1/2 hour walk added to your day. To be on the safe side calorie-wise I would suggest logging a 45 minute walk, moderate pace for the days you reach 10,000. For 7,000 it would be a 1/2 hr walk on top of your normal daily walking.
    What would you do if you have atleast 20,000 to 25,000 on work days.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    change your lifestyle to active if you have a job or other function that requires a lot of walking. I sit on my *kitten* all day and stare at a computer so I am definitely sedentary until I get home !
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    change your lifestyle to active if you have a job or other function that requires a lot of walking. I sit on my *kitten* all day and stare at a computer so I am definitely sedentary until I get home !
    Thanks for the advice. I do have it at active. But wasn't sure if that was the right one.
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who offered advice .. i work as a receptionist (at a primary school) so although technically a desk job i do do a bit of walking during day. But I think I will take the advice to only log a 1/2 hr walk or 45min for over 10,000 steps ..
    thanks everyone :)