brown bag lunch?

Options
Hi
does anyone have ideas/recipes,,,etc for lunch on the go?Most days I am at work or in need of something quick and easy..not TOO much prep time(SOmething that could be done ahead of time would work)
I think i need maybe"lunchbox" ideas.Thanks

Replies

• wannabeeskinny
    Options
    Hi
    does anyone have ideas/recipes,,,etc for lunch on the go?Most days I am at work or in need of something quick and easy..not TOO much prep time(SOmething that could be done ahead of time would work)
    I think i need maybe"lunchbox" ideas.Thanks
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I usually pack a turkey sandwich. Takes hardly any time at all to make. Or a tuna fish sandwich. Sometimes leftovers from the night before. Soups in a can are really easy too, just watch the calories and sodium.

I also grab easy things to eat throughout the day like an apple, string cheese, yogurt, etc.

It's the best way to stick to your plan!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I tend to make sure to pack leftovers from dinner for lunch when I can. Other than that I always keep Michelina's Lean Gourmet frozen meals and canned, reduced sodium soups on hand for quick things to grab. I always bring snacks with me for throughout the day, too...string cheese, yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese (more filling than yogurt alone), carrot and red bell pepper sticks (I pre-chop them once a week and measure the amounts into baggies so I can grab them quickly) dunked in fat free ranch dip that I pre-portion at the same time I chop the veggies... You could also try chopping up a head of lettuce at the beginning of the week and store it with a few paper towels on top, upside down, in the fridge. This wicks away water and keeps the lettuce fresh (I'm not a big fan of the stuff that is pre-chopped at the store). You can add other salad veggies to it, too (skip mushrooms and tomatoes, though...they get funky). Cook up some chicken and pre-portion it for salads. The grocery stores carry single serve packets of dressings now so you could buy a pack of those and have dressing pre-measured. If you like your salads wet, like I do, add a little fat free cottage cheese to help out. It's all about planning ahead. If you just take a little extra time once or twice a week (turn lazy Sundays into food prep Sundays) it can make all the difference with your diet! Good luck!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I bring to work a turkey sandwhich, fruit cups, fruit, nutrigrain bars, yopliat, and veges on a daily basis. Then i eat every 2 hours or so. Last night I had chicken for dinner, so I made an extra piece. For lunch today I have half a chicken breast shredded on wheat bread. It looks so yummy. There are a million things you could bring!:smile:
  • wannabeeskinny
    Options
    some good ideas here
    I should add i have no way to heat anything.My choices get uber limited with that.
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    If you're like me, then you like "meals" and not simple snacks. What I try to do on Sundays is prepare three different meal entrees and then I add a fruit or raw veggie! :heart: For instance, this past Sunday I portioned off a 3 pound package of ground turkey and make turkey spaghetti meat sauce, and turkey patties. Then, I roasted a whole chicken and also prepared some roasted chicken breasts. I boiled some noodles, prepared some mixed vegetables and made sure I had oranges and apples in the fridge! On Monday, I packed spaghetti and an apple. Tuesday, I packed baked chicken breast and veggies (did it for Wednesday, too!), and yesterday I ate a turkey burger with lettuce, tomatoe and salsa! Each meal that logged in was less than 500 calories!!! It's cost effective for me, since I'm a single parent, and gives me variety! Try it one week and see how you like it! :flowerforyou:
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    Last night i made baked turkey meatballs. I took lean turkey and mixed it with a little egg beater, some hidden valley ranch seasoning, a handful of oatmeal (healthier than bread crumbs and you cant taste the difference.) I baked them in a pam coated pan at 400 for about 30 minutes. Yummy and portable. One pound of turkey made 12 huge meatballs at only 50ish calories per ball. I had them with a little spaghetti sauce. Also good in wraps.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Last night i made baked turkey meatballs. I took lean turkey and mixed it with a little egg beater, some hidden valley ranch seasoning, a handful of oatmeal (healther and bread crumbs and you cant taste the difference.) I baked them in a pam coated pan at 400 for about 30 minutes. Yummy and portable. One pound of turkey made 12 huge meatballs at only 50ish calories per ball. I had the with a little spaghetti sauce. Also good in wraps.

Those sound yummy.

I usually use leftovers from the night before, make a sandwich the night before (sans liquidy veg), pre-make a salad, or do a lean cuisine (careful with the sodium on those bad boys).
  • wannabeeskinny
    Options
    now im really hungry..;lol
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    some good ideas here
    I should add i have no way to heat anything.My choices get uber limited with that.

Can you use a thermos that keeps things hot? That way you can heat it up in the moring, put it in the thermos, then have a hot lunch! :)