Greek Yogurt, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Chobani is the best, I get the 0 fat...I also use the plain zero fat in place of sour cream.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Yay, Liberte or President's Choice plain 0%. I use it instead of sour cream and occasionally as a spread on a bagel instead of cream cheese. Even my son accepts it in a taco now.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    YAY! Fage 2%.... i don't think you'll be disappointed!
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Yoplait, but I love the Oikos.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started with it. This morning I mixed a spoonful of apple butter into the yogurt, then added my cereal. It was delish! I have seen others sweeten their greek yogurt with a bit of honey, stevia, etc.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I really like the Chobani pomegranate greek yogurt.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Chobani and Fage are awesome. I like the plain first thing in the morning.

The stuff with fruit is yummy too, but only for a snack. We eat way too much sugar, so if it isn't sweet, we don't like it. Get used to less sugar, and your taste buds will enjoy more natural tasting foods a lot more.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for the yoplait brand but Chobani is really tasty. Love the blueberry, mango and peach flavors!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yea. I only eat the plain kind because I watch my carbs and sugar but I *really* love it. Much more than regular yogurt. Oh and I get the cheap kind from Aldi's.:blushing:
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    Chobani--I like vanilla but you probably won't--try cherry or blueberry. To me it's like ice cream. Yum. You will become accustomed to the taste over time. It's just way better for you will more protein and all--it's like a little complete meal and great post workout!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Is it always so thick? This stuff like like cement!

I actually use the plain Greek yogurt in the place of sour cream in recipes. Comes out great--particularly in Mexican food.

If you don't like it straight up put it in recipes. It comes out great as a substitute every time.

The real kind of Greek yogurt is thick because it is strained yogurt.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yea!
    Plain with Splenda & fruit….
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Try a different flavor. I find that strawberry is often quite tart anyway. I started out with the honey and vanilla flavors, which are sweeter. I also like Chobani best, as other posters have said, followed by Oikos. Even if you don't like to eat it by itself, try the plain kind as an additive in food. Lots of people swear it is a good replacement for sour cream. Myself, I stir it into pasta sauce or thick soups/stews where I might otherwise use a strong cheese. In some of these things - like in lentil soup, I actually prefer the yogurt to cheese! Now, I just keep a big thing of plain Chobani in the fridge for cooking and add my own fruit or honey if I want it by itself.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Definitely try some different brands. They all have slightly different flavors and textures. They are all much thicker than regular yogurt, but some are less thick than others. You might like the Chobani better. I find it a bit too thin for my tastes and much prefer the Fage.

And if you end up just not liking it plain, it can make a great addition to various recipes as a substitute for sour cream (works great in muffins or pancakes). It's also quite tasty in a fruit smoothie.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't like it as yogurt at all, and that's fine. People tout it's greatness, but it's not like you have to eat Greek Yogurt to be healthy, period, at all.

I think it shines as a replacement for sour cream. It tastes like a spoonful of sour cream, which to me is nasty on a spoon, but awesome in, say, enchiladas.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Chobani! The black cherry flavor is my favorite! The plain is also great for smoothies, or sometimes I'll have plain Chobani with a half-scoop of vanilla protein powder mixed in.

Everyone is right though, the fruit-on-the-bottom, while delicious, has a ridiculous amount of sugar in it. I recently discovered Skyr, which is even creamier than Greek yogurt. It has the same amount of protein but only 9g of sugar for the flavored ones. But I don't think you'd like it, OP, because it's SUPER creamy and not very sweet! It's even taking me a while to get used to how un-sweet it is.

If you're really into going for Greek yogurt, shop around. I found a bunch of Chobani Honey today that were on sale for $.50, because they expire in two days-- but I bought four because my family will totally eat them before then!

Another tip: if the texture and un-sweetness of the Greek yogurt is too much of a shock at first, try adding 1/4cup of granola like Ezekiel 4:9. It has carbs but no sugar, and it gives a nice texture to the yogurt.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't think Yoplait is *actual* Greek yogurt; I think it's "Greek *style*", meaning there's a protein added to get the thicker texture, it's not actually strained to get the proper Greek yogurt texture. I'd stick with Chobani and Fage (my favorites,) and even the Oikos is better than the Yoplait.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I really like the Chobani pomegranate greek yogurt.

Oh ya! That is my favorite too! Love those little jewels..
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Love it! Fage is my favorite, and I often use the plain as a substitute for sour cream.
    This.
  • liliannsmama
    liliannsmama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We love the Liberte greek yogurt.