I am new and really worried

Options
Hi everyone. I am new to mfp and dieting. I have let myself get so large that it has become a serious health hazard. Saturday I lost my best friend from childhood to Chirossis (another addiction) and I am angry with her because she should have known better! Since she was only 39 it gave me a rude awakening that I am killing myself with food and I should know better. I have an absurd amount of weight to lose and am desperately concerned about my ability to do so. I really want to do this but the task seems insurmountable. I would love support from others that have lost LARGE amounts of weight themselves.

Replies

• tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Honey, you have taken THEE most important step and come here to help yourself! There are lots of people here that are really inspiring and everyone is so supportive. It doesn't matter how much you have to lose, what matters is that you have decided to make it happen and be healthier. Welcome to what I consider the best thing that ever came into my life, get ready to have an amazing change because it is going to happen and you are the one doing it.
    I have a friend that joined after losing someone and now has a child to be around for. That was an awakening for her and I am proud of her. She is the reason I found this page. It really is the best thing in the world for us who don't know where to start. I am only about 3 weeks in, but already I have lost 10+ pounds just logging my food and eating a LITTLE bit better..otherwise, I am not going gusto crazy as I have to be careful how much physical stress I put on myself due to multiple sclerosis. But I AM going to get there, and I am getting there already! Feel free to add me, I would love to encourage each other!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    You need to break down your goal into small chunks or it will seem overwhelming. Work on 10 lbs at a time or something like that, it's the small goals that keep you going! Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. There's nothing stopping you from doing this except you. :heart:
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When you loook at the overall picture it might seem overwhelming. A lot of us set smaller goal to make the goals more attainable and gratifying! You are on the right track because you are on here and you know you need to make the change! There are a ton of people on here that are ready to help support and encourage you! Remember this is a journey that will have ups and downs you just have to pick yourself up and keep pushing forward!

WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!
  • papa5280
    Options
    You can do it, I know you can. The big thing is, don't expect it all to fall off in a week. It will take time, but slow and steady definitely wins this race.

One other thing, you say you're new to dieting. Most of the folks here that I've talked with don't think of it as a diet. it's creating new habits and patterns and a new relationship with food to change your life!

Good luck and trust yourself!
  • RissaBri88
    RissaBri88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    its a day at a time hun! i started out just jogging in place in my livin room during my fav shows, couple mins at a time a few times a day til i could go longer and longer. i still eat what i want just smaller portions. you can do it!! ive lost 8lbs in about a month. =] u can add me if u want some extra encouragement and support. best of luck!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, you have come to the right place....you will find all of the guidance and support you need, the rest is up to you:flowerforyou: Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • LosingJenn
    Options
    You can do this! Sometimes it takes a shock to us to get us in the right mind set for change. It is not easy but there are a lot of great people who can support you, give advice, and help you on your journey. I had over 100 pounds to lose and so far have lost almost 40. I joined MFP because I hit a long plateau and I needed have more support and encouragement. Feel free to friend me. :)
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have far too many family members to addiction. I have been on MFP since february of this year and it saved my life. I have lost 52 pounds so far. I know I will be using it for the rest of my life even if it's just for the community. Feel free to friend me, the more friends we have on here the better in my book!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    so proud of yur choice of changing yur life. sometimes it takes a bad thing to happen before u can relize yur self that something needs to change. lets do this journey...i have faith u can do this.....u have the power in yu to change the way yur are eating . Food is a addiction...but we here will help u along the way. So happy that u joined.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It really is possible and it makes a HUGE difference in your life.
    I've lost about 75lbs since my heaviest (6 years ago) and about 35 since starting MFP a year ago. I won't lie, it took a ton of work and I have a bunch more ahead of me, but it's worth it. I didn't even realize how much I was hiding and holding myself back when I was at my heaviest. Now I'm about 5 lbs away from no longer being clinically obese!
    Friend me if you want some encouragement along the way. It's a long road, but it's completely do-able :)
  • silversnare25
    silversnare25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really want to do this but the task seems insurmountable.

It's all about the small steps. Little changes for the better make a BIG difference. Don't overwhelm yourself by making the task seem harder to reach than it really is. Focus on the small goals and getting there, then before you know it.... BAM! Gal achieved!

We are all here for the same reasons, and therefore we are all here if you need the support!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Lendfield, please don't get yourself worked up about the amount of weight you want to lose.You've taken the first, most important step and people on here are all very friendly and supportive. If you stick with us we'll all help you on your journey.
    It might be easier on you if you think of your losses in terms of maybe 5 or 10 lbs at a time? That way it makes things a bit more manageable.
  • Kerry1023
    Kerry1023 Posts: 152
    Options
    Congratualtions on taking the first step in your journey.

I have found it easier to look at this as a lifestlye change raher then a diet. Every small, little change adds up and that 's what makes the process a journey. Take it one step and one day at a time. Set small goals both scale goals and non scale goals. You CAN and will do this for you!

This site is loaded with information & support. Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other .

Best of luck on this journey to a new and healthy you :)
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I started with 110 to 125 pounds to lose. I have made great strides so far, but I am far from finished. I agree with a previous poster - you have made the most important step so far in just signing up and getting started. Don't think of this as a diet - it is a lifestyle change. If you can't see what you are consuming or doing on a daily basis for the rest of your life, you probably need to reevaluate.

I love giving and receiving support, so feel free to friend me!

Wishing you the best of luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You are welcome to add me. My 2 cents of advice when starting

1 - Start small. It's easy to get overwhelmed if you try to change everything all at once.
    2 - Don't put all your focus on the scale. Take measurements and before pictures (I have zero pictures from my peak weight because I loathed having my pictures taken - I'm still horrified by pictures 10 lbs down, but now I have a sense of pride looking at them because that's not me anymore)
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to mfp and dieting. I have let myself get so large that it has become a serious health hazard. Saturday I lost my best friend from childhood to Chirossis (another addiction) and I am angry with her because she should have known better! Since she was only 39 it gave me a rude awakening that I am killing myself with food and I should know better. I have an absurd amount of weight to lose and am desperately concerned about my ability to do so. I really want to do this but the task seems insurmountable. I would love support from others that have lost LARGE amounts of weight themselves.

You're looking at the wrong task. Your task is not to lose a LARGE amount of weight. You're primary task is to learn which choices are the healthiest for you and then to make those choices. And your secondary task is to NEVER quit.

Sometimes it won't be easy, but I promise you, it can be done, and it can be done by you.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I also have a lot of weight to lose -- 90 pounds. I come from a family of addicitions -- my mother was an alcoholic who lost her battle at the age of 49. My father was a compulsive overeater and an extremely obese man who also lost his battle at age 49 (he died first and she died 1 year and 1 month to the day).

Having so much to lose does get discouraging but I am learning to break it down into small "mini" steps. Instead of showing 90 plus lbs on my ticker, I made it 65. That will be my first Goal. Along the way, I have set mini goals --

A few weeks ago I started getting serious and committed to walking just a little bit - 15 minutes a day for 3 days a week. I also began tracking everything that went into my mouth. Even if it's something I don't think I should be eating or a moment when I put something in my mouth without even realizing it. This has brought huge awareness and accountability to MySelf. 3 weeks later, I am down 16 pounds, I am now walking 1 mile in 18 minutes almost every day, and have started doing some other exercises such as weights at the gym. Even if you can't or don't have access to a gym membership -- you will find that walking is extremely beneficial to your success. Even with just 16 lbs gone, I feel totally different -- energetic, clear-minded, happier, than I have in a really long time.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can share tips, tricks, triumphs along the way. You have to be 100% committed to making a lifestyle change -- and just commit and follow through and it gets so much easier!

Good luck!