This is probably a really stupid question, but...

Options
Okay so I'm not exactly the best or most experienced of cooks....

For dinner I wanna take some red skinned potatoes, cut them up and bake them on a sheet tray. Normally I would have drizzled olive oil over them and used some italian spices to flavor them.

My question is can I use my olive oil cooking spray (which is usually just my nonstick spray....) to "oil up" the potatoes so the seasonings stick to them? I don't want to add all the extra cals of the olive oil...

Replies

• NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Short and Sweet answer, Yes
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I got an olive oil sprayer at a kitchen gadget store years ago and I love it!

It leaves just a really fine mist on the food.

I am sure teh spray is perfectly fine. I have used it for tons of things before
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is exactly how I do it!
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    You can. And sounds really good.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Hey, why not! You use it in a pan, why not in the oven. It still gets on your food either way. Try it, the worst that could happen is that it won't work:sad:
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I've read on here that other people have used spray light to roast veggies. Suck it and see. Lol!
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Yep! I use the spray on my potatoes quite often!
  • arosmith79
    arosmith79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. Like you said, saves a bunch of calories :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can, but it might take quite a bit. You're going to be best served to put some olive oil in a large ziploc bag (1 tablespoon is only about 100 calories) and then throw the cut potatoes in the bag and shake it up. You can coat a lot of potatoes with only a bit of oil this way. It'll still add in the flavor of the olive oil and help your seasonings to stick without requiring a ton of oil
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    yes you can. Or, (this is what I do) for a buttery flavor with NO calories, NO fat and NO sodium you can use I cant believe its not butter buttery spray. Its an actual spray on butter with none of the guilt. I boil my potatoes until they are just about soft them I spray the butter on them and sautee in a pan with mushrooms and add Mrs. Dash italian seasoning and its SOOOOOOOO YUMMYY!!! GOod luck!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    yep, go for it.
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You definitely can; although, the 120 cals in olive oil are good for you cals, and who knows what chemicals are in the spray. You might also try spritzing them with water, and then adding the seasoning. I have done this before and it works great..potatoes tend to have spices stick easily without anything, though, because of their water content. I would stick them in a bowl and toss with the seasonings first to see if you even need anything. My guess is they will stick :)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can, but it might take quite a bit. You're going to be best served to put some olive oil in a large ziploc bag (1 tablespoon is only about 100 calories) and then throw the cut potatoes in the bag and shake it up. You can coat a lot of potatoes with only a bit of oil this way. It'll still add in the flavor of the olive oil and help your seasonings to stick without requiring a ton of oil

^^ This.....plus, cooking spray is only zero cal if you spray it for 1/4 of a second. I believe a 6 second spray is around 50 or 60 calories. Might as well use the real deal.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    yes you can. Or, (this is what I do) for a buttery flavor with NO calories, NO fat and NO sodium you can use I cant believe its not butter buttery spray. Its an actual spray on butter with none of the guilt. I boil my potatoes until they are just about soft them I spray the butter on them and sautee in a pan with mushrooms and add Mrs. Dash italian seasoning and its SOOOOOOOO YUMMYY!!! GOod luck!

ICBINB Spray is not sodium free and if enough of it is used (multiple sprays) is isn't actually calorie free. I use the stuff and your method mentioned sounds delightful. But I thought I would throw my 2 cents in there. But, FTR I think olive oil.. with calories and fat is much better for you.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

This! It's way easier to put them in a ziploc and use real olive oil, you can control the amount of olive oil you put in and flip the bag around to make sure all your taters are coated.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I just don't like what propellent does to my cooking sheets when it bakes. So i don't use spray.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, but remember that just because it comes out of a can doesn't mean it's zero calories, it just means that in the "serving size" it's zero calories. Spraying like that, however, will give you better coverage using less than if you were sprinkling.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    You can just moisten them with water to make the seasoning stick to the potatoes.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options

This! It's way easier to put them in a ziploc and use real olive oil, you can control the amount of olive oil you put in and flip the bag around to make sure all your taters are coated.

Ditto!!!!