Mexican Resturant- what to get?

Options
I'm going out to dinner tonight to a mexican resturant with some friends. What would be a good choice for my meal? I know to stay away from chips, margaritas, and tortillas! So what CAN I eat?

Replies

• juliemacguidwin
    juliemacguidwin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to dinner tonight to a mexican resturant with some friends. What would be a good choice for my meal? I know to stay away from chips, margaritas, and tortillas! So what CAN I eat?
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question. I want to know the answer too!! I know when I cook at home, I only eat the rice with chicken in a bowl, without anything. But out, I have no idea.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Don't forget avoid rice.... and refried beans.... :laugh:

Usually a good bet are some type of fajita.
    You don't HAVE to use the tortillas with those.
    Also, avoid anything fried...
  • jamieerindesigns
    Options
    You could get fajitias and get corn tortillas instead of flour
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken probably wouldn't be so bad, use salsa as a topping and go easy on the cheese:ohwell:
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    see what kinds of salad they offer.
    you can always add something from what everyone else orders in your salad and spice that up. a spoonful of something, a little sour cream, etc.
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    AAACKKKK....mexican......run away! :laugh: , I can't imagne there's anything that won't bust the calories and fat! lol
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Make sure to ask them to prepare whatever you order with little or no oil! Even grilled food at restaurants has stupid added oil!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    something spicy.....clear you right out when you're done!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    You can get whole beans instead of refried. The default at most Mexican restaurants is refried, but ask for them whole instead--you'll save yourself a lot of calories. They are just as good, too!

Avoid anything with a bunch of cheese. I think the fajita route is good, but frequently it's cooked in oil, so don't overdo it.
  • rudyann
    rudyann Posts: 33
    Options
    Order a kids meal.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I order fajitas, (chicken or shrimp).Some places now offer wheat tortillas too, so ask the server if you don't see it on the menu, skip the cheese, and if you just have to have sour cream, just slightly dip, instead of putting it on!
  • PrettyNpink526
    Options
    I usually STRAY from the free chips (which is the hardest thing in the world to do!) :tongue:

But then I order a grilled chicken salad: grilled chicken, lettuce, onions, peppers, and a light dressing.

This is really low in calories and VERY filling!

Good luck!:smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    chicken, shrimp, or pork Fajita's, sans any toppings. You can do the sour cream if they have low fat, and put it on the side, and anything like refried beens and guacamole ask them to put on the side. These things are ok to have, just remember how big a tablespoon is, and add it yourself, don't rely on them. Things like, onions, lettuce, sauces, black beans, are usually ok. Ask if they have low fat or part skim cheese. Go online before you go out and look up the individual nutritional info for those types of things, then you have a weapon in your holster when you get to the restaurant.

This is the kind of thing I have to do at every restaurant I go to. It kind of sucks, and it annoys people sometimes (like my parents, they can't figure out what the heck I'm trying to accomplish. it's funny watching their brains heat up), but it's the only way to really keep tabs on your eating.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Is it a chain that you can look up their menu? When I went to On the Border I got one of their meals off their guiltfree menu or whatever they call it and it was actually pretty good. I got grilled fajita chicken tacos and they were 750 calories or less and 25 grams of fat or less. Still quite a bit, but way less than their their other dishes. I would also try getting a suggestion from your waiter.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Get chicken or veggie fajitas and just eat the filling/meat and veggies not the wrappers.
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    If you know the restaurant, call ahead of time and check to see if they use regular oil, or pig fat (lard).

I like to add the soup, if it has the veggies and chicken (yeah...I know...I love the rice in it too ...)

Make sure there's cilantro in your meal...for flavor, and it's great as a fighter against salmonella!
    http://www.usaweekend.com/04_issues/040905/040905thinksmart.html

Also, check out this link: http://healthnews.ediets.com/diet-fitness/2008/12/mexican-food-5-worst-5-best.html

Mexican food is no friend of weight loss...but if you find the right mix of ingredients, you'll appreciate it.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i love to go to AZECTICA and get "suopa de polla"
    spicy chicken soup full of veges. :smile:
    that is my favorite dine out food.

robin:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho if they have it :)
    Its basically spicy vegetable soup served cold. Its healthy, and quite yummy!
  • ajanieva
    Options
    You could get fajitias and get corn tortillas instead of flour

I agree w/ the fajitas, I'd avoid any torillas though. Depenting on how they're prepared the flour can be very refined which means easier to break down in your system which means higher calorie retention. Some tortillas are prosecced with lard too.

Also, I agree with the above to STAY AWAY FROM THE REFRIED BEANS. The are generally made with hydrogenated animal fat (LARD). That's why they're so creamy and tasty:tongue:

Good luck, and try not to stress out about it, just enjoy yourself.:happy: