Coconut Water?

KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
Has anyone tried coconut water? Is it as healthy as I've been told?

Replies

• KBGirts
    As a replacement for other drinks like soda?
    Has anyone tried coconut water? Is it as healthy as I've been told?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Never tried it, but I drink coconut milk and use coconut oil - both have exceptional health benefits. I have heard both good things and bad things regarding the taste of coconut water.. but I am sure no matter what it tastes like it's a million times better for you than soda.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    It's freaking disgusting and it makes you poop the day away.

Go ahead and try it maybe you will like it..:tongue:

Good luck with the coco.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    I tried the Vita Coco brand and couldn't get one sip down. I have a really sensitive pallete, though.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    I've tried it once, I don't really like it, but i know it's good for you, especially if you are dehyrdated.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Yeah, it's incredibly healthy. I just tried it for the first time yesterday. I was really excited since I absolutely LOVE coconut. I just couldn't drink the coconut water, though...I think the consistency just threw me off. I wish I could drink it...maybe I'll add it to smoothies or something!
  • I drank it a lot in Costa Rica and I found it very refreshing. It has become very trendy here as the anti-gatorade I suppose. So, if you normally drink artificially flavored drinks and want to switch to coconut water, I would say yes. It's healthy.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Not a fan. But, yes, it is very good for you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member

Go ahead and try it maybe you will like it..:tongue:

Good luck with the coco.

wow, strong opinion lol. sorry you had a bad experience.

personally...I've tried Vita Coconut Water after some long runs (10-11 mile training runs) and loved it--thought it was great for thirst and replenishing potassium. And it didn't cause me any digestive issues
  • JayTeah
    JayTeah Posts: 8 Member
    Coconut oil can be put into tea -- it just moistens your lips...doesn't really taste like much...
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    I just started drinking it this week. It's an acquired taste. Based on the numbers it's quite healthy for hydrating after a workout. A little expensive, too (I think I paid $1.87/11 oz. carton). Not going to be a regular thing for me, but a nice treat.
  • I love coconut water!!!! Super duper good :) I like to drink it either before or after my workouts... not during tho! hehe
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member

It does make you poo!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Coconut water is nature's gatorade.... I only drink it to re-hydrate... like gatorade. I like the taste of it... unsweetened... a lot of people don't.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158

It does make you poo!

Lol yes it does! Maybe it's just us,cause everyone else seems to be doing fine on it LOL.:laugh:
  • Did not like it the first time I tried it but love it now. I still don't like the flavored coconut water. Have read that it is very healthy....also have found some negatives about it but I am trying it for now and I am still losing. I just started using coconut oil with my eggs (saw a post on it earlier this week and tried it)...best scrambled eggs ever! For a "treat" I have chocolate flavored coconut milk...almost like a milk shake (or have I been doing this too long and it just seems that way?!)

Give it a try. It is suppose to have as many electrolites (sp?) as a sports drink.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    I love it. I started drinking it years ago because it soothes the inflamed tissues one of my chronic ailments. (That, and aloe vera juice without preservatives. Yum yum!) Great source of potassium as well.
  • KBGirts
    Thanks everyone!! I am an athlete and love drinking Gatorade after a run or bike ride. I will try this. Even if I don't like it at first I will give it a chance, especially if it serves as a good sports drink. It may be one of those acquired tastes that takes time. As far as it making you "poo"... I know this is gross, but do you mean like the runs or solids??? ... that's important information... LOL!!!
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Love it. A special treat for my 6 yo daughter after we run/hike to rehydrate. No digestive issues for us. You may also want to try Nuun rehydration tablets. They fizz in water, have several flavors, taste great and are more portable than bottles of hydration drinks.
  • Coconut water is 100% natural (unless it's sodium-enhanced), so that's always a good thing. As a replacement for soda, it's absolutely healthier. Most beverages are healthier for you than soda, although I'm sure that you can find many others that taste better than coconut water! ;)

However, be careful if you plan to use it for hydration purposes while exercising. Many people do this, but coconut water is not the best option for replacing fluid losses (sweat). It's fine for general hydration during the day, but for workouts, the electrolyte content is off - a ton of potassium and very little sodium. If you choose a beverage for workout hydration, go with something that has greater amounts of sodium and less potassium, something that is made for during workouts as an electrolyte beverage (sodium is the main one, but also look for a little bit of potassium and chloride as well).