Home remedies for a cold?

Options
Anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of cold? I normally take odorless garlic pills and it normally works for me. But i am so congested in my chest and my head. I can't shake it. It's not a full on cold yet but I wish it would decide to either come or go. I feel so exhausted. Hockey season is just starting for my 2 boys and I can't afford to be sick!! Anyone out there have any advice? :smile:

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Get some umeboshi plums. Eat the plum and suck on the pit of it until it is clean. Seriously.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lots of fluids! I particularly like lemony drinks to cut through any congestion. Today I have mostly been drinking lemon and ginger tea and elderflower and lemon cordial. Guess who has a cold too?
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Boil eucalyptus leaves (if available) or oil and breathe in the steam.
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I take soluble vitamin c tablets in the mornings when I have a cold, and a teaspoon of honey when my throat is sore.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I take soluble vitamin c tablets in the mornings when I have a cold, and a teaspoon of honey when my throat is sore.

If your already sick Vitamin C won't help, but if your feeling a cold coming on you can try a mega dose with lots and lots of water. Just don't take too much Vitamin C or else you'll have violent diarrhea...DON'T ASK! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lots of vit c ad French onion soup! ;) xx
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Neti Pot!! I swear by it!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    zinc and echinacea.
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    I love this when I have a cold. It really opens up my sinuses and helps drain the congestion.

TOMATO TEA RECIPE

2 cups V8 Juice
    2-3 cloves Garlic crushed (use more if you can)
    2 T Lemon Juice
    Hot Sauce (the more the better, so as much as you can handle)

Mix and heat in a pan or in the microwave. Sip slowly and re-warm as needed to get the full effects of the fumes. Let it sit in the back of your throat to bathe it. Suck the fumes through your sinuses and also down into your lungs.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Honey and Lime with warm water
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Vitamin C, Zinc, Garlic, Echinacea
  • ziggylove
    Options
    Chicken noodle soup is supposed to actually help somehow. :)
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I tried the hot toddy last night... the vitamin C.. garlic... vicks... cold pill... and nothing. I have a fever and chills this morning. I think this will be a nasty cold. Perfect for the thanksgiving weekend this weekend... ***sigh
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Me too!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of cold? I normally take odorless garlic pills and it normally works for me. But i am so congested in my chest and my head. I can't shake it. It's not a full on cold yet but I wish it would decide to either come or go. I feel so exhausted. Hockey season is just starting for my 2 boys and I can't afford to be sick!! Anyone out there have any advice? :smile:

neti pot, zinc, elderberry syrup
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Just before bed take a hot shower, then after getting out of the shower put vicks vapor rub on your chest, and on the bottom of your feet.( You'll obviously have to wear t-shirt and socks) It will help you sleep better and helps knock it out sooner.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Me too!
    Me three!!