Do you offer "good job" on a food diary without looking at i

Options
2»

Replies

• Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I always read a diary before commenting. Just because someone was under calories doesn't mean they ate healthy food. I can eat 1200 calories of Reese's and be on target for calories, but feel like crap!
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep I have seen this going too and it's annoying but there are no real rules about it. I've seen 10 congrats posts on a diary once and when I looked at what they were eating, I definitely laughed out loud because this person ate crap, nuts, and twigs all day. I just keep the comments to myself!
  • 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    Options

hehe i was logged in as the hubby (again) so to state what i put in his before. I look at the diary. I get a lot of support when i complete my dairy but if they would actually read it, an I'm sorry or are you okay would be more appropriate some day rather than a good job.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I only bother looking at one person's food diary...and that's to make sure she got her daily dose of nut butter.

I never "complete" my diary so those updates don't publish to my feed.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I always look at a diary and try to find something productive to say even if its kudos on your water drinking, or great logging. If someones consistantly logging low calories they generally arent open to my comments on how they should be eating so i keep my thoughts to myself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really like to get comments on my diary, which is why it's private now, because I felt suddenly defensive if I had something that someone thought wasn't healthy. There are a lot of trains of thought on this site, and I feel like if I want an opinion I'll ask for one (and open my diary so people can see it) but otherwise it's a private thing for me. I can see the benefits (accountability, etc) but for me it has the opposite effect-- makes me not want to log for fear of negative responses.
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i would love to have friends who looked at my diary and said "why did you have that?" because then when you get a good job it really feels like a good job!! i struggle every day with this eating healthly thing and would apprieciate any friends who would tell me when i **** it up to get back on track...
  • NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Personally...my friends comment on mine sometimes because they know it's a real challenge for me to even eat. (NOT that I have an eating disorder at all. I LOVE food!) But I have an illness and some days if I can get 500 calories in then my friends know that I've had a decent day and that means that I was able to not only eat BUT keep it down! That could be why they do it to me. I just find it hard to always meet those goals, esp when I work out, like today for one...I started with 1200, at breakfast and lunch then worked out now I've got 1300 something to finish the day with-but I can't possibly eat that many by the time I'm going to bed. I also keep my food journal closed because like I already mentioned the foods I eat can be any where from a cracker to pringles, pickles, or Popsicle and I don't want someone looking at it saying "Gaw...she's anorexic!" But if someone really knew me they would see that I'm over 200lbs NOT just because the food but because of medication and steroids that I've had to take. So answer the question, I do give a little encouragement to friends that I know may have a hard time eating.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I typically don't comment unless I can look at the diary (unless I talk to them outside MFP and know what's going on that day). I try to find something to comment on - if they had some food I liked or whatever. If it just looks like an all around yummy day, I'll say "Yummy day!" or something like that. Sometimes I'll see that they wrote a note asking for advice or help, and if I feel I can offer some words of wisdom, I do. If I was over or under for some reason, I leave notes, and hope people will see them. But, I don't always look/comment, though. Just takes too much time to go through every single person's. If it's on my newsfeed when I log on, I'll look. If not, sorry :laugh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I always read a diary before commenting. Just because someone was under calories doesn't mean they ate healthy food. I can eat 1200 calories of Reese's and be on target for calories, but feel like crap!

But that is you, not them... like I said in my post.. Losing weigth is hard and so is staying in your calorie range so if they felt like eating 1200 calories worht of twinkies all day it's their decision... :bigsmile:
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Unless you know for a fact that person wants criticism or "suggestions" on how to eat healthier on their diary, I'd suggest you not make them.

And to answer the OP, no; if I comment, I've read the diary.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    If someone doesn't have their journal open, I don't make any comment at all. If someone has their diary open and it has great food choices, I let them know they've done a great job. If someone has their diary open and it's obvious they were making really terrible decisions, I say nothing unless I know they're the kind of person that can take constructive criticism. I am not a nutritionist, but I like to be as supportive as I can to everyone, and it includes giving some small tips to help them with food.

I kind of do this - and I also like to add support for people who I know are struggling to even log every day -- if you have friends that struggle with daily logging then I think a "good job logging today!" is appropriate regardless of what they eat.

I eat "bad" by a lot of people's standards all the time - if I feel bad about it (like I didn't plan for it) then I usually say something like "I'm going to try extra hard to make up for that donut today!" but if I don't then I don't care what people say about it. I do appreciate comments of any kind though -- I would be totally fine with a friend that said "you went over on fat again!" every day. I appreciate that my friends are trying to support me ANY way they choose to do it, even if i disagree with them. And I want to support my friends any way I feel will help them, even if they disagree with me.

but i do think as far as food diaries go, anyone really dedicated to a particular diet like "clean" or "Paleo" either has a "this works for me but it may not work for everyone" attitude or they don't have friends who don't share their beliefs.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I look and I comment.
    They are my friends and my support and I am theirs. To not call them out would be disrespectful and a waste of their time logging.
  • RockHardAngel_777
    Options
    You know darlin, I never thought of lookin or thinkin of food diaries like that. Thank you. You have opened my eyes to a realization that, Yes, its good to be under, but why and how did you get there. Makes me want to have an even better lookin diary and make sure it stays open so I can haggle myself when I'm ponderin havin somethin not so nutritional. Thank You for posting that!!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If the food journal is open for me to look at, I do look at it and I find something positive to comment on. Whether it be that they did eat well, or ate something that I haven't tried and I ask what they think of it, or if they had a food that we both like.

I always praise on exercise because it can be challenging to get it in. And I also praise for days logged on. My circle of friends is small enough that I can see their daily efforts add up to the progress they have made, and if they voice having a tough time, I'm there with kind words, some humor, and a positive attitude. In turn I appreciate getting feedback from my friends. There is so much encouragement and joking in my circle of friends, it has really kept me motivated.

Someone said in an earlier post that if people don't want feedback or support, there is a simple remedy, they can use the "delete friend" button.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yep sometimes I do. If the person took the time to log and make an effort. Especially if I am on my phone app, as I can't open diaries. If someone asked my opinion I'd give it otherwise I comment on their effort
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If the food journal is open for me to look at, I do look at it and I find something positive to comment on. Whether it be that they did eat well, or ate something that I haven't tried and I ask what they think of it, or if they had a food that we both like.

I always praise on exercise because it can be challenging to get it in. And I also praise for days logged on. My circle of friends is small enough that I can see their daily efforts add up to the progress they have made, and if they voice having a tough time, I'm there with kind words, some humor, and a positive attitude. In turn I appreciate getting feedback from my friends. There is so much encouragement and joking in my circle of friends, it has really kept me motivated.

Someone said in an earlier post that if people don't want feedback or support, there is a simple remedy, they can use the "delete friend" button.

Yes, you are very encouraging. So glad I am in your circle of friends.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Yes, you are very encouraging. So glad I am in your circle of friends.

Awww thank you MB!!!