Turkey Bacon vs. "Real Bacon"

Options

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The quality varies wildly from brabd to brand.
    I believe Jimmy Dean was good.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    LOVE turkey bacon.
    have not had "real" bacon since.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally... I really don't think they are THAT much different. Turkey bacon is much less fatty but you can get a good less fatty cut of regular bacon too.
    maybe i should have gone into more detail. oops my bad. but we weren't really talking about taste or personal preference, just on a nutritional basis.

If you get uncured real bacon....I don't really see a nutritional difference. Perhaps someone can enlighten me if I'm wrong.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I like both but I always eat pork bacon because I get it from my dad for free from our own pigs (which is soooo much better than store bought...).

SWEEEEEEEET!
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love them both, until I read the ingredients! Super grossed out by the turkey bacon ingreds on the brand I had. Turkey parts and skin! Yikes! But they do taste good, just not in my shopping cart anymore.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the average turkey "bacon" is more processed and full of junk than Bacon. I'll take the real thing any time.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    How many foods cheer for themselves while they cook. Bacon!
  • PaPenguin
    PaPenguin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If I can't have the real deal I don't want substitutes. I have real bacon once a week with my eggs for breakfast. Fat isn't the enemy.
  • mustbnutz
    Options
    Turkey bacon?.............I can`t imagine eating substitute bacon.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people are cooking their turkey bacon wrong, but I can get mine crisp. Turkey bacon is def a better choice of the two, but it's really your preference. I prefer turkey bacon over pork bacon because it's not as greasy and I just like the taste.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people are cooking their turkey bacon wrong, but I can get mine crisp. Turkey bacon is def a better choice of the two, but it's really your preference. I prefer turkey bacon over pork bacon because it's not as greasy and I just like the taste.

Pork bacon doesn't have to be greasy...leaner cuts are available. So...why is it a better choice to eat turkey bacon? They are both proteins with fat on them...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon doesn't crisp up like pork bacon. And now I'm reminded I have pork bacon in the fridge. Dinner!

Pretty much this, I have to add olive oil or some other fat to get it to crisp, and the 99% lean, forget about it might as well be chewing on the sole to my running shoes. However, I do prefer the regular turkey bacon to pork bacon.
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like both but I always eat pork bacon because I get it from my dad for free from our own pigs (which is soooo much better than store bought...).

Can you please send me some?!?!?!!? hehehe (seriously... i'd be your best friend!)

I LOVE real bacon; I don't really like turkey bacon. Like others said, it just doesn't look any different when its cooked. bleh. I like my bacon crispy! :)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is nasty and processed, it is basically a hotdog in bacon shape. Turkey bacon is less cals per slice, but the slices are much thiner and weight less.

The best thing to get is center cut bacon, it has way less salt and fat then regular bacon.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I am not fond of turkey bacon. If I'm going to have bacon, I want the pork bacon. I just make sure not to eat too much of it at once!

My mother in law serves turkey bacon and cooks it in the microwave...that may be what turned me off to it to begin with. Yuck.
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Center Cut Bacon is actually the better choice based on the nutritional information. Here's the nutritional information per serving for each:

Center Cut:
    Serving Size: 3 slices

70 calories
    5g Fat
    2g Saturated
    15 Cholesterol
    270mg sodium
    7g protein

Turkey Bacon:
    Serving Size: 2 slices

70 calories
    6g Fat
    2g Saturated
    30 Cholesterol
    380mg sodium
    4g protein

I used to pick turkey bacon but now I go with center cut!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I love pork bacon, although I only have it at restaurants once or twice a year. I've never tried turkey bacon, but I always keep a box of Morningstar Farms soy bacon in my freezer!

Soy bacon sounds way worse than turkey bacon.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I HATE turkey bacon and I am a self proclaimed (pork)bacon loving vegetarian!

Actually, I'm not a vegetarian but I've always wanted to meet a bacon eating vegetarian because really, who doesn't love bacon? I do LOVE Morningstar Farms, veggie bacon though. The flavor is really good and you can't beat the crunch, YUM! Thank you for posting about bacon, it's made my day. X
  • rmdiaz1
    rmdiaz1 Posts: 56
    Options
    Surprisingly I really liked Turkey Bacon! I just tried it two weeks ago and it's really good, so I figure if it's healthier I will eat that.
  • launawe
    launawe Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I go with the uncured center-cut bacon. I think the real thing is tastier. I think that the turkey bacon isn't necessarily cheaper b/c it can come from all over the turkey. If it was just white meat or something, it might be healthier. I just eat the lean part of the regular bacon, and leave the fat. It's not possible to do that with turkey bacon--you have to eat it all mixed together.