BMI question. Calculation has me at a seriously low weight

Options
2»

Replies

• ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ok, you mean bio-electrical impedence. It is better than BMI, but the reading can vary quite a bit. Level of hydration seems to be a factor in how high it measures your body fat. We did some observations with those for one of my classes and the reading would vary based on time of day (probably because of hydration levels). If you are just trying to get ballpark, it might be ok. But, if you really want to see small changes, the skinfold measures are a better bet.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Ok, you mean bio-electrical impedence. It is better than BMI, but the reading can vary quite a bit. Level of hydration seems to be a factor in how high it measures your body fat. We did some observations with those for one of my classes and the reading would vary based on time of day (probably because of hydration levels). If you are just trying to get ballpark, it might be ok. But, if you really want to see small changes, the skinfold measures are a better bet.

Thanks. They offer both so I guess I'll get pinched. : )
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting the electrical done. At 180 lbs. 5ft 7", I'm at 19.2% If I get down to 170-ishlbs. I'd be running at 14.2%