Exercise and eating????

Options
Should I eat before I exercise or exercise before I eat? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Depends on what is comfortable for you, but I wouldn't recommend eating that much right before exercising.
  • msfitmom
    msfitmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can do both or either if you want. Depends on what exercise you're doing and what you feel like.

Lots of people can't eat right before a cardio session. I can, though I usually try to eat mainly carbs + easily digestible protein about an hour before a cardio session to allow my body some time to digest it.

After a weight lifting session, I recover with a protein drink right afterward to get protein into my muscles right away to feed them. You have about a 15 minute window to do this while your muscles will absorb all of it.

Find what works for you. Note too, that if you're working out hard for longer than an hour and a half you'll probably need to eat during your workout as well.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The general research and anecdotal concensus is that you eat some carbs about an hour before you workout, and some protein afterwards. However, it honestly doesn't matter all that much to overall weight loss. Do whatever feels right and is most comfortable to you. Some people cannot work out unless they have a nice meal to fuel them, while others get sick if they eat at all before working out. Myself, I do my cardio early AM usually, so I try to eat half my breakfast before the workout, and half after.
  • TeeA86
    TeeA86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I really appreciate your responses.