my success in 2011

I was diagnosed in January with Leukemia. I was in the hospital for 35 days to start chemo and to recover from being extremely ill. My sister was my inspiration for losing weight as she has lost 130 pounds in about 9 months and continues to work at maintaining healthy living and weight loss. I started out weighing 286 pounds and weighed about 263 when I got finished with my 4 months of chemo treatment.
Once I completed all my outpatient chemo and started feeling better and healthier, my Husband and I decided to become more fit and lose weight. In August 2011, we joined a gym and hired a trainer. Since that time, I have been working out 5 days a week and working with a trainer 1 time a week. I was very deconditioned prior to starting on this journey and told my trainer that things were going to move very slowly. I started my cardio by pedaling the recumbant bike for 30 minutes, but that did not burn many calories. About 2 weeks after starting on our journey, I decided it was time to try another kind of cardio workout. I started walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes and using the stationary bike. I have continued to use both pieces of equipment for cardio and now am cycling 20 minutes and walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I have increased the speed while cycling and have increased the incline and speed for the treadmill as well. Doing both pieces of equpment now burns about 250 calories which makes me feel really good. I also have just started adding the elipitical machine for 5 minutes at a very slow pace. I have felt good about adding cardio equipment to my current workout and feel great that I am able to use more kinds of equipment.
So --- in 2011, my successes have been ---
I lost 53 pounds so far
I am able to do cardio workouts for 40 - 45 minutes usind various types of equipment
I have hired a trainer to help with this journey
I have been able to purchase new jeans that are 3 sizes smaller than what I wore in January.
My Leukemia has been "in remission" since I finished the Chemo in May.

I was not one to think I could improve on my weight and strength, but with determination, it can be done for anyone. When I started in August, I had problems walking 100 ft without being extremely fatigued, and now I am able to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I also was able to climb 86 steps to my seat at the KSU football games which is something I did not think I would be able to do during this football season.

Replies

• jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    what an amazing story...you are truly inspirational!
  • Thank you for sharing your story. You are a strong woman, you took what most would have a hard time with and made so many positive changes in your life. I wish you the best of luck with everything.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,425 Member
    Outstanding Pamela!!!! What an inspiration!
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story! Everything seems to be looking up for you! 2011 is YOUR year :) Congrats on the weight loss and on the remission :)
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Wow. What a inspiring story! Congratulations on all your success and your hard work. That's wonderful to hear your in remission! Best of luck to you on your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • ABaccus44
    ABaccus44 Posts: 2 Member
    You are doing great, everyday you keep getting stronger ! ! ! Was so proud when you walked up to our seats last weekend ! ! ! Next year you can run up them with me :)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,757 Member
    First of all, congratulations on your remission!!! May you remain in remission forever!!!

Congratulations on your weight loss and ever growing endurance!! That's fantastic! Keep up the great work! :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Wow, what an inspiration!!! You are living your life to the fullest now and I will send good thoughts that you are rewarded with a long and healthy one!! Congratulations on your remission and your weight loss :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!