This is a huge long shot, but.....

Options
I just gave blood and the juice and cookies they give you afterward used up my evening snack calories and even went over by about 60 and I cannot work out tonight to earn any extra. Being Friday night and being up later than usual, I don't see myself being satisfied for the rest of the night after dinner at 7. Any chance extra calories are needed after giving blood? haha:bigsmile:

I have been doing great all week and probably won't fall apart from a cheat night, but I prefer to save them for saturday or sunday :sad:

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I just gave blood and the juice and cookies they give you afterward used up my evening snack calories and even went over by about 60 and I cannot work out tonight to earn any extra. Being Friday night and being up later than usual, I don't see myself being satisfied for the rest of the night after dinner at 7. Any chance extra calories are needed after giving blood? haha:bigsmile:

I have been doing great all week and probably won't fall apart from a cheat night, but I prefer to save them for saturday or sunday :sad:
  • firewife351
    firewife351 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know about extra points, but being that you gave blood, you should deffinately compensate so you don't get sick. I would just make very healthy decisions, and like you said...one cheat day probably won't be the end of the world. You've done a good thing today, you deserve to cheat a little!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Gee.... maybe if you take the weight of the blood into account...you should be ok:wink:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    MFP has you at a defecit so even if you go over your calorie goal, you will probably still be in a deficit just not one as big. For example if MFP has me in a 500calorie defecit in order to lose a pound a week, then if I go over by 200 calories one day, I'm still 300 calories under eating to maintain. Ya know? :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip I have learned-- go exercise BEFORE giving blood. No rule about that one! Plus, I believe it made my blood flow faster, making the donation quicker. :bigsmile:

PS- Thank you for giving!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    Yay for you for donating!!! :heart: You'll be fine for today! Don't let one slip stop you from your achievement! Depending on your MFP calorie count, you may still lose weight since they already knock off calories from your daily intake to help you lose!

Tomorrow is a new day, so you can make up for it! Have a great weekend!!! :drinker:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    they give you that stuff for a reason. Although... once I went and they had fruit, which was nice. but really, it's one day, you did a good thing, move on and don't worry about it. :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.org/donate-blood-rst/know.html) you burn 650 calories by donating blood. I'm not sure if this all at once, or if it is spread out over the amount of time it takes for your body to regenerate the lost blood. Either way, you should be fine today.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.org/donate-blood-rst/know.html) you burn 650 calories by donating blood. I'm not sure if this all at once, or if it is spread out over the amount of time it takes for your body to regenerate the lost blood. Either way, you should be fine today.

I read that too, not sure if it is accurate, but will take what I can get. :laugh: I donate blood regularly, the only problem I find is that for the next week, my iron is very low and my muscles have very little sustaining power. you might find if you run, that your legs will tire easily and you lose your breath faster. Might just be me though, but I did a little research on it after it happened, and it happens to a few others too. Apparently red blood cells and iron carry oxygen to your muscles and when you are low on both, they get tired. don't worry though, if it happens to you, you do recover :bigsmile:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip I have learned-- go exercise BEFORE giving blood. No rule about that one! Plus, I believe it made my blood flow faster, making the donation quicker. :bigsmile:

PS- Thank you for giving!!!! :flowerforyou:

I have had problems since I started exercising regularly with the flow of blood when I donate, I will give your idea a try, thanks.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about going over. It's ok. Just don't make it a habit. You'll be fine with a day. :flowerforyou: