Bagels

Options
rem1979
rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
Okay, I went to Dunkin Donuts today and got a multigrain bagel thinking it was better than a plain or other flavor, but when I looked up their nutritional info on the web, I was shocked. A multigrain bagel has 380 calories, 6 grams of fat and 68 carbs whereas a plain bagel has 320 calories, 2.5 grams of fat and 62 carbs. I thought multigrain was healthier for you and lower in all those areas than a white bagel. Can anyone shed some light on this? :grumble:

Replies

• rem1979
    Options
    Okay, I went to Dunkin Donuts today and got a multigrain bagel thinking it was better than a plain or other flavor, but when I looked up their nutritional info on the web, I was shocked. A multigrain bagel has 380 calories, 6 grams of fat and 68 carbs whereas a plain bagel has 320 calories, 2.5 grams of fat and 62 carbs. I thought multigrain was healthier for you and lower in all those areas than a white bagel. Can anyone shed some light on this? :grumble:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I got fat from working at a bagel shop. When I started I was a size 10-2 years later I was a 16.
    The bangles we made that were so called "healthy" we loaded with sugar, salt and honey. Those were the whole wheat and multi grain. Also you have to remember that bagels are not light and fluffy like bread. They are dense and heavy. Most at bagel shops weight @ 3oz.
  • createsure
    Options
    Haven't you heard? A bagel is worse for you than a donut!
    By the way, if you are serious about dieting, I would suggest never going into a Dunkin' Donuts or any other fast food chain ever again. You simply can NOT get healthy if you eat like that. Try a natural food store next time.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard? A bagel is worse for you than a donut!
    By the way, if you are serious about dieting, I would suggest never going into a Dunkin' Donuts or any other fast food chain ever again. You simply can NOT get healthy if you eat like that. Try a natural food store next time.

I dunno...I have to sort of disagree (nicely!) lol- because there are GOOD choices now at a LOT of fast food restaurants. I mean, there are salads and things...so if she's say, out with friends who want to go get something @ one of those places, than so long as she has the will power and can go for a salad or yogurt with fruit or whatever, I don't see the harm.
  • rem1979
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I don't go to those places all the time. I stopped there today because I didn't have time to grab something from home, but since I always check the calories on line, I know for next time. It's all a learning process. I can't remember the last time I went to a fast food joint, probably right before I started working my current position in November. I just don't crave it and that's great!

I do agree that there are many more healthier choices out there but nothing beats home cooked!
  • createsure
    Options
    I totally agree... If you absolutely have to go to fast food, get a salad (watch the dressing!) I just wanted to comment on people who are supposedly dieting, but still frequent fast food places regularly. Changing your diet, your body, your habits... it's about change. Change to a healthier lifestyle. I am an adamant believer that fast food is NOT a part of that lifestyle. I am fortunate enough to live in Santa Cruz, CA... a mecca of healthy living. We have dozens of healthy grocery stores, vegetarian and raw food restaurants, etc. Establishments that sell healthy food because they believe in it, not because it has become trendy and will increase profits. I know in a lot of places in the country you don't have that available, and it is really sad to me. I just want to encourage everyone to take that extra step and break the habit of eating fast food. It's not always going to be easy, but it will be worth it.
  • GinaB30
    Options
    I'm thankful for where I live because it's FAR from temptation lol
    The only thing we have is a Tim Horton's and that's a 20 min drive, but things like McDonalds and Burger King etc, are hours away. lol That's one good thing about country living!
  • rem1979
    Options
    The only thing we have is a Tim Horton's and that's a 20 min drive, but things like McDonalds and Burger King etc, are hours away. lol That's one good thing about country living!

That's great !!! I live about 2 minutes from all that but I have no temptation of any of it. I just keep picturing myself in a cute little form fitting dress for the summertime. I will do it, I know I will!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Your average bagel is about 4 servings of bread. If a slice of bread is around 100 calories (and a slice is a serving) then... tah-dah the bagel=almost 400.

It's portion size. Those bagels are enormous.

Sad but true.
  • GinaB30
    Options

That's great !!! I live about 2 minutes from all that but I have no temptation of any of it. I just keep picturing myself in a cute little form fitting dress for the summertime. I will do it, I know I will!

lol, perfect! =o)

I don't really feel tempted by it unless we're going on a long trip to the city- and then I get the twinge of "ohhh I see ______" LOL
    But since starting this we haven't been anywhere near a fast food place, so I'm doing good lol
    I've been in the car when timbits were present and I wasn't tempted at alllllllll- so that's an improvement lol
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea all bagels like tha are a bad idea- and they are a downfall of mine. I looove a good eveything bagel with cream cheese. But it so bad and I know thats I stay away as best I can, which is hard where I live in NJ with a bagel shop pretty much every half mile lol! I went to Dunkin Donuts yesterday for coffee and wanted to grab a bagel or muffin so bad but I stayed strong. I've been having for breakfast Thomas' Whole Wheat mini-bagels which are pretty good and satisfying with fat free cheese and an egg or slice of lean ham.
  • tomsalinsky
    Options

A multigrain bagel is basically a plain bagel with a load of extra grains and seeds added. So from a *nutrition* point of view, it may be better for you, since you get lots of extra nutrients in those added ingredients. However, from a slimming point of view, adding additional ingredients - especially high-fat ingredients like seeds - is only going to increase the calorie content. There is nothing you could add to a bagel (or anything else) which would reduce the number of calories.

Cheers

Tom