Chapped lips

Options
I've been noticing recently that my lips are really chapped, even to the point of cracking when I smile. I'm drinking all my water (and then some) so I can't be dehydrated. Could it be from drinking TOO MUCH water? Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but dry chapped lips would be (in my opinion) from dry cold weather, or perhaps wind burn or sun burn. I don't think it has anything to do with what your eating that is unless your having an allergic reaction to something. Like I get a rash around my lips from eating mango's.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    It's possible! For example, if your lips are chapped, and you keep licking them, (adding what you think would be moisture), it only dries it out more. You need a different kind of moisture that only lip balms contain.

Sounds like some good ol' Chapstick is in your future! :)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Never heard of chapped lips from too much water. Possible causes could be: weather, licking your lips or a reaction to cosmetics.
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking enough of water then it could be from the weather (sun exposure, dry air etc). I would use Vaseline or Aquaphor ointment and during the day any type of lip balm that has a sunscreen protection in it.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's weird because I haven't had any problems with chapped lips for years. I usually just wear gloss during the day and use a balm at night.
    I haven't used ChapStick since I read somewhere that they put in an additive to make you lips chap *more* so you'll buy more of their product (sneaky marketing...).
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I don't know what really causes it. I have noticed that drinking water does help but when it doesn't...I just apply chapstick. Normally the chapstick brands and the sexylips brand works great for my bad chapped lips.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've been really digging my new Carmex. It's in a skinny, dark silver tube, and it lasts for a LONG time.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Too much kissing.
  • Divamomma
    Divamomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: I agree with Weather seasons changing try burts bees too :-) thanks for the info on chapstick wow Feel better:)
  • blueiedbandit
    Options
    I'm really sorry that your lips are so dry, that must be really uncomfortable and frustrating. Since you are drinking quite a bit of water and aside from taking the weather into consideration, make sure you are getting enough vitamins. Vitamin E, vitamin C, and B vitamins (like riboflavin, B2, and folic acid, B9) all play a part in skin health and could be a reason your lips are chapping. You can either take B complex supplement or make sure you're eating beans and legumes, whole grains, and poultry and eggs. Vitamin C is easy to get enough of if your concious of it, eating oranges or dark green veggies like broccoli will give you enough vitamin C quickly. Vitamin E can be taken in a supplement or you could eat a fortified cereal like Total, almonds, peanut butter, or use vegetable oils. If you choose to take a supplement just make sure to stay with inthe RDA of 1.7mg of riboflavin, 400µg of folic acid, 60mg of vitamin C and 30 IU of vitamin E daily. Unitl the vitamins kick in, make sure to use lip balm with vitamin E. Hope this helps you a bit!

Source: Me....I'm in the process of becoming a Registered Dietitian.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I find the product called Lip Conditioner by Blistex works best for me. When you put it on and your lips are chapped you get a tingling feeling. If you put it on and your lips are not chapped you don't get that feeling. If it dos not tingle then you know that you don't need to apply any more.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: I agree with Weather seasons changing try burts bees too :-) thanks for the info on chapstick wow Feel better:)

+1 for Burt's Bees. :flowerforyou:

I used to use Carmex, and it works great, but I like Burt's Bees much better. Anything that ChapStick makes just puts a waxy coat on my lips and I have to keep reapplying every 15 minutes!
  • kehrlich
    kehrlich Posts: 1
    Options
    I have never been much of a water drinker. When I started watching my weight I increased to around 8-10 glasses a day. I also have noticed that my lips become very chapped. It is not the weather. I do not lick my lips. It is from the increase of water consumption - I know this because I tested it by stopping/starting numerous times to see if this was the problem and it is. They get so dry I get fever blisters. It sounds ridiculous because you would think with increased water consumption you would have wonderfully plump and moist lips. :0)

I saw somewhere that it can be a riboflavin or B2 deficiency. I am going to try vitamin B complex - maybe that would help you too? Good luck!
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I have never been much of a water drinker. When I started watching my weight I increased to around 8-10 glasses a day. I also have noticed that my lips become very chapped. It is not the weather. I do not lick my lips. It is from the increase of water consumption - I know this because I tested it by stopping/starting numerous times to see if this was the problem and it is. They get so dry I get fever blisters. It sounds ridiculous because you would think with increased water consumption you would have wonderfully plump and moist lips. :0)

I saw somewhere that it can be a riboflavin or B2 deficiency. I am going to try vitamin B complex - maybe that would help you too? Good luck!

I have extremely bad chapped lips and have for several months. It got so bad that I had to go to the doctor for it. Got blood work done and turned out that I rather severe vitamin D and B deficiency. Now I take a daily supplement of both vitamins and its much better (although not totally gone). I would recommend going to the doctor if it gets to the point where mine was. My doctor also checked for several other things to rule them out, including low white blood cell count.

Also, if you are getting the splits in the corners of your mouth, that is likely a fungal infection. My brother is a periodontist and he sees this all of the time. People generally just think it's chapped lips when it isn't. Antibiotics are needed for this. Best to throw away all of your chapsticks until its better. I swabbed my chapstick and grew cultures just to see what would happen.* Sure enough, had traces of the fungal infection on it. Kind of gross :P

*Microbiology major... so shhhh haha.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Chapped lips?

Honey, raw unfiltered honey is best.

For serious.
  • bethpinard3
    Options
    I am noticing the same thing. I have been drinking 144 ounces of water each day and my lips are getting chapped. I live in FL, so it is not due to cold.
  • ivory98107
    ivory98107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have chronically dry and chapped lips - try A&D ointment at night. It helps me even when they are so chapped they split!
  • shantronathon
    shantronathon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Vaseline at night helps. If I don't use it every night I get chapped lips badly because without realizing it, I lick my lips all the time. But Vaseline helps me, even with all the lip lickin' that goes on in my life.