let's go out for DRINKS?

Okay.. I admit, I love a good beer once in a while (okay.. maybe a little more than ONCE in a while) along with wine and of course the oh so bad for me liquor.. What are some low calorie alcoholic beverages? Is rum and diet coke okay? I'm also trying to do a low carb diet, so my love for beer is on the shelf.. sad day

Replies

• Rum is absolutely FULL of sugar. I had to cut that out a long time ago. I am also doing a low carb diet. On the bright side, vodka has 0 carbs in it and the lowest calorie content of any hard liquor (so I've heard). When I want a drink now, I reach for vodka and crystal light (I've tried the raspberry lemonade and the fruit punch). Still not very good on the calories depending on how strong you make your drinks and how many of them you have, but it's also not nearly as bad as it can be after indulging in a few. :wink:

:drinker:
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    I think vodka has carbs...not totally sure though.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Rum is absolutely FULL of sugar. I had to cut that out a long time ago. I am also doing a low carb diet. On the bright side, vodka has 0 carbs in it and the lowest calorie content of any hard liquor (so I've heard). When I want a drink now, I reach for vodka and crystal light (I've tried the raspberry lemonade and the fruit punch). Still not very good on the calories depending on how strong you make your drinks and how many of them you have, but it's also not nearly as bad as it can be after indulging in a few. :wink:

:drinker:

I think depending on "how many I have" is the key phrase ;)
  • I'd love to hear some suggestions for this too! I often find myself in situations that call for a few drinks, and I know it's part of the reason I've gained weight. I try to stick to vodka&soda with a lime if I'm drinking liquor. If you do drink beer, go for Guinness...it's surprisingly one of the lowest calorie beers. I really enjoy drinking wine though, and I have no idea if I should go for red or white or a particular grape to keep the calories low. What are other people drinking?

krose, I love the voda&crystal light idea! A little bit of soda water for some bubbles and I could see myself sticking to that.
  • i do rum and diet coke or vodka+soda water or just straight vodka shots

i usually go out to drink once a week and i tend to have at least 4-5 drinks. i just know to exercise and burn it off the next day. OH and drink PLENTY of water in between drinks and the next day to avoid dehydration.
  • jeninabilan
    Thanks guys!! That is awesome advice! Just looked up vodka, says there are no carbs.. thank GOD! lol :) 67 calories per 8oz shot, not too shabby.. And I agree, working out the next day is a must! :)
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Lol *edit* I've been drinking xD I misread carbs for calories xD I do that far too often.
  • jeninabilan
    no worries :) Thanks!!
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    southern comfort for me with diet lemonade....I think it is 54 ish cals per shot...., I make weak ones and make it go a long way
  • chelle_again
    chelle_again Posts: 7 Member
    Not to be downer, but I've been taught that it's not the carbs/sugar in the alcohol that is the problem, it the fact that alcohol is a poison. Your liver spends the next 3 days working overtime to clean it out of your system. In the meantime, you body is not breaking down carbs and sugar but storing them i.e turning them into fat...

My source is my 50 year old female PT that looks better than a lot of 25 year olds I know - I have never looked any further into it - I figure I can trust a lifetime of experince in fitness :-)

Also not implying that I don't drink :-[ I just think very carefully about when and why

Cheers
  • Gin and Diet tonic water. Took me by surprise that regular tonic water had calories and carbs.