Exercise calories real?

Options
I have been using the choices under the exercise diary to log and total my activity.

I would love to believe the numbers for calories burned, but they seem way too high to me. I do not eat anywhere near the calories it gives me "back"

For example two days a week I have personal training, an hour each time with an umderwater treadmill at 4 to 5.5 mph. The same day, I also do 30-45 min on a stationary bike, a variety of mat exercises for 60 minutes (definitely not aerobic), then 10-15 minutes of walking. For this, it gives me an insane number for calories burned.

On 3 other days, I do a total of about 2 hours between the stationary bike, mat exercises, and walking.

And the remaining 2 days I do very little...maybe walking 20 min and a little cleaning.

I am very obese, with 100+ lbs to lose. is this why I am getting so numbers so high for calories burned? Is there good research about variance in calories burned at higher weights? Any suggestions for further reading?

Replies

• bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find the numbers posted here to be very high for me also. I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor, as that will be your most accurate way to monitor calories burned. Be sure to get one w/a chest strap, and be sure to get one that asks for your age, gender, weight, activity level, and so on to be input.

The Polar site is a good place to start looking to decide what you need, altho you may find better prices elsewhere. An HRM will last for years and is a worthwhile investment.

Best wishes!
  • kh79
    kh79 Posts: 33
    Options
    To me they are always showing the double of what my RunKeeper shows me, so I'm not using them... My RunKeeper takes in weight, pace, distance, elevation/climb etc into the cals burned calculation (GPS app on my phone) and I can't see how the MFP one calculates this realistic... I wouldn't trust the numbers calced here.
    That's my opinion though :wink:
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    With that amount of weight to lose the calories burned for even moderate exercise will be very high. That being said, I agree that MFP overestimates the calorie burn, probably by 20-30%. If you want an accurate read get yourself a heart rate monitor.

Slán.
    Phil
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I personally never trust such calculators for you. Also, your perceived level of exertion is different from your actual level of exertion. The only relatively inexpensive way to measure the amount of calories you burned is with a heart rate monitor. The strap-type is the most accurate and reliable.

I've owned two. A cheap, $50 one and a nicer $100-$150 one (can't remember the actual price - bought it a long time ago).

The cheap one was good, but it started to have reading errors and fluctuated wildly when it got to be a couple of years old. I then purchased the better one (made by Polar) and I rarely have any issues with it. Most errors are caused by me. :P

I highly recommend a heart rate monitor for anyone who is working out - at any level. Read up on how to use one (heart rate zones, max heart rate, etc.) and the effectiveness of your workouts will increase dramatically!

Also, they count calories, based on level of exertion and how much you weight. When punching in my results to the website, I put in the amount of time I exercised for, then fudge the exertion (speed of walking, for example) to get the closest number of calories burned possible.

I'm dead serious when I say that $100 on a heart rate monitor will be the best spent money you will ever spend to help you lose weight.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't use the exercise calories in the MFP database, I've got a HRM and I have been shocked about the numbers, must less than what the database shows. Best weight loss investment I've got to date.
  • anniebrasso
    Options
    So what would you believe? I'm getting higher readings from Endomondo than from here.. It's saying that during a single session of stationary cycling, I can burn up to 800calories on Endomondo, yet on MFP it's saying 540. I'm confused.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    They are a bit on the high side here. The best way to deal with this a heart rate monitor. Trust that, rather than this.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Although you get higher figures depending on how old and how big you are, I still found them a little high during my journey. What I did was eat back half my exercise calories (in tandem with taking the highest food intake calories offered if I had more than one choice.) Worked a dream, and I recommend that approach for you too, as it's cheaper than buying a reliable HRM. Good luck, and BTW that's a marvellous exercise regime for someone of your weight.

R
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So what would you believe? I'm getting higher readings from Endomondo than from here.. It's saying that during a single session of stationary cycling, I can burn up to 800calories on Endomondo, yet on MFP it's saying 540. I'm confused.

I heard Endomondo doesn't really take into consideration HRM data, so please check that. Anyway for my spinning classes I have higher calorie burn calculated via HRM+Sportstracker (STL) than here on MFP - around 500 kcal vs 370 kcal per 45 min.
  • susie25
    Options
    I have just purchased a Polar FT40 and the calories burned through that are about 1/3 less the MFP but also with my weight training I burn roughly 30 calories more than MFP - get a HRM for accurate results. :smile:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

I am very obese, with 100+ lbs to lose. is this why I am getting so numbers so high for calories burned? Is there good research about variance in calories burned at higher weights? Any suggestions for further reading?

I dont have actual research, but can tell you from personal experience when I started training a year ago (110lbs more than now) my calorie burns were significantly higher than they are now (all measured with a Heart Rate Monitor)

Even 5 months ago when I started Zumba I was burning nearly 500 calories - when I did the same DVD last week I was only burning around 250 calories.

I just used the Walking 3.5mph from the database - and the calories was spot on with the calories showed by my HRM - the key is to understand how fast you are walking - I have seen quite a few people overestimate how fast they are actually walking....
  • LazyDavid
    Options
    I totally agree that HRM are one of the most accurate ways to track your cal burn rate but unless you are in a controlled environment with a couple of scientist that have you plugged up to the latest technology running supercomputers everything else is going to be a best guess guesstimate based on some mathematical equation or other!

Whether it is calories in or calories burnt no piece of software or HRM is going to be 100% accurate; however to over simplify things if you burn more cals than you eat you will create a calorie deficit and lose weight. Simples.

Use the tools provided as a guideline but ensure that you complete a regular full a weigh in (weight, body fat % and measurements) as often as you can, preferably once a week, and use this data to adjust the following weeks activity level and diet intake.

Remember for a layman this is more of an art than a science and the best measure of success are the changes in your body composition, health and mental attitude!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been using the choices under the exercise diary to log and total my activity.

I would love to believe the numbers for calories burned, but they seem way too high to me. I do not eat anywhere near the calories it gives me "back"

For example two days a week I have personal training, an hour each time with an umderwater treadmill at 4 to 5.5 mph. The same day, I also do 30-45 min on a stationary bike, a variety of mat exercises for 60 minutes (definitely not aerobic), then 10-15 minutes of walking. For this, it gives me an insane number for calories burned.

On 3 other days, I do a total of about 2 hours between the stationary bike, mat exercises, and walking.

And the remaining 2 days I do very little...maybe walking 20 min and a little cleaning.

The tables are only good for very simple aerobic activities: e.g. walking and running.

After that, any exercise reference site will be using reference tables that use "average" values. Example: if a activity is listed as "aerobic class" that could mean anything.

HRMs have their use, but they also have significant limitations -- anyone who says "an HRM is the only way to be accurate" is wrong.

In your case, the solution is rather simple for now: if you have a lot of weight to lose, then you don't really need to count exercise calories at all. You should be able to steadily lose weight at a 1500-1600 calorie per day level (maybe even a little more if you are exercising 2 hr a day). You can tolerate a fairly high calorie deficit without adverse outcomes.
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advice :smile:

My weight loss has been so slow that I have been searching for some way to speed things up. I eat 1200-1500 cal per day and I have made my food more and more "clean"

I started working with a nutritionist to make sure I was making good choices, and I have really grown to like this way of eating.

If I had been doing this 10-15 years ago, I KNOW I would have lost 75 lbs by now, instead of 27 lbs :frown: I am sure being 57 has something to do with it. :cry:

I have upped my exercise a LOT, but still haven't seen results commensurate with what I am doing. Guess I was looking for how to gague my effort and calorie burn. It is just hard for me to understand why I am not progressing more.

I went to my MD who referred me to an endocrinologist for metabolic assesssment. I have a variety of tests scheduled for next week to rule out thyroid dysfunction or pre-diabetes.

I am seriously considering the HRM, as I am scientifically-oriented and would be motivated by "measuring" progress...especially when the scale isn't reflecting what I think it should.

Thanks again for all the good advice!
  • jenmorris01
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing... time to locate my nike HRM and start using it! :)
  • heatheramara
    Options
    Hey there,

I am in the same "very large" category, and was considering having a metabolic assessment. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your experiences and opinions about your with me, either on or off list.

I would very, very much appreciate it.

Heather