Looking for advice on triathlons

I've only just started on here, however, my 12 month goal is not weight related but to be able to comlete a sprint triathlon in September 2012.

I know I have weight to lose, however I don't really know how to train for it??

Any advice on getting started? I was going to make myself do the full thing this weekend to see just how hard it is and how long it takes me to do it - so I have a starting point.

How do I train for endurance? I have always been a sprinter and never really had the stamina to do sustained activity (more than an hour).

Any suggestions would help - the sprint is 750m swim, 20km ride, 5km run (this bit scares the pants off me! lol!) :noway: :noway:

Thanks

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Have you looked at http://beginnertriathlete.com? There are some good tips there :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    If I were you, I'd go to a bookstore and take the time to go through several triathlon training books and then buy the one that appeals to you. Following a plan will help you physically and mentally prepare for the event.

Don't let the 5K scare you ... all it is is one foot in front of the other. No one says you have to have a record breaking speed or even run the whole thing. Remember, it was the tortoises who won the race - not the hare.

Of course I don't know your starting physical ability, but I wouldn't go out and do the whole thing this weekend. I'd find a plan and build to comfortable base then begin doing a couple of the event in a day before I'd do all three.

Most importantly, have fun. I've only done one sprint tri, but gotta admit - it was a blast!
  • ironlinae
    ironlinae Posts: 3 Member
    Great idea. Triathlon helped me lose a lot of weight. An hour's worth of workouts is a good place to start for the triathlon you have picked out. 750m swim, 20km ride, 5km run is a sprint triathlon. And if it's a year away you have plenty of time.

How to train? The most important question to ask is: how often do you workout now and what types of workouts do you do? I generally swim twice a week, bike twice a week and run 3 times. The length of each workout depends on what distance of triathlon I'm training for.

Oh, and you don't have to do the whole thing this weekend to be ready a year from now. There is plenty of time for you to build up to 2 hours of training.

Online training plans can be found at:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=376
    http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp

There are plenty of others.

As for training for endurance: build your mileage slowly, workout at a steady sustainable pace when you do longer workouts and take in some type of sports drink when the workouts exceed an hour.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    There are plenty of training plans out there, that beginnertriathlete is a good starting place as is Triathlete's World:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-beginners/perfect-10-your-first-triathlon-training-schedule/6691.html

Towards the middle or end of training, you MUST practice doing one discipline after another. Getting off a bike and running immediately afterwards can give you serious wobbly leg syndrome!
  • I'll help you write a training programme if you like? I used to be a national standard swimmer, and after I quit I did triathlon for a bit so I know a fair bit about fitness, and help friends to train and get their fitness levels up :)
    What sort of level are you at now? As in how far can you run, strength level etc?
    I'm sure you'll love triathlon :) xx
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    It does sound scary dont it! lol Id too, love to compete in a sprint Tri.

Whats your current level of fitness?

Iv just started running and completed C25K this week. Thats set me in great stead for my runing (to say i couldnt run for more than 60 seconds without being hospitalised before it, lol). I currently do alittle biking in between my running days. and tonight sees me getting back into swimming: i used to be a strong swimmmer when i was younger, but given up on it as i gained weight etc.

Iv signed up to a Tri challege on these forums, gets you doing each disapline and can see how you are doing against others, as a booster to keep you motivated, not tried this before but should be fun. the link is here if your interested...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/358654-tri-training-challenge

I like the idea of just completing a sprint Triathlon, just to see how long it takes; even if its 3 days lol at least it is a base on which you can improve. Im stealing this idea lol and going to do it this weekend! like i said even if it takes me 3 days haha :)

Edit: i would go with what people have said above, more than me, iv never done anything like this but im working towards it. Happy Training :)
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    I don't have much more to add other than what people have said already. The websites given are really great, especially the beginner triathlon one, I have recently been checking that out myself.

I am looking to do triathlons myself. I'm thinking of doing my first in December/January but we'll see as I am recovering from an injury which means I can't run at the moment.

I'd be keen to be friends and share information about what we learn about triathlons and how our training is going if you would like? Send me a request. (same goes for anyone else interested in triathlons).

At the moment I swim 3-4 times a week and cycle every day although sometimes that just a short commute, usually I do a long ride several times a week. I can't wait to get to running
  • chelle_again
    chelle_again Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks so much for all the advice! It is very much appreciated and I am about to have a look at suggested sites and forums.

I am a swimmer from way back and just waiting for the temperature to go up a bit more and will be back in the pool at least 3 times a week.

I've only ever done spin at the gym but I have been doing almost 50km in 90mins once a week. I am off to look at second hand bikes on the weekend (cause that's all I can afford!). I don't think I've ridden a bicycle since I was 21.

It took me 2 weeks to tell anyone my goal because it all sounds so scary, but I have a good lead up to it.

Thanks again :happy:
    Michelle
  • chelle_again
    chelle_again Posts: 7 Member
    There are plenty of training plans out there, that beginnertriathlete is a good starting place as is Triathlete's World:
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-beginners/perfect-10-your-first-triathlon-training-schedule/6691.html

Towards the middle or end of training, you MUST practice doing one discipline after another. Getting off a bike and running immediately afterwards can give you serious wobbly leg syndrome!

haha! the wobbly leg thing is a concern! Spin at my old gym was up a flight of stairs so at the end you had to wait a bit to get back down :laugh:

Thanks for the site - going to look now.