too much fiber!

Options
oregonlady
oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
trying to eat ultra healthy, i eat mostly fruits and veges. :smile:
i am going way over on my fiber intake.:noway:
i feel like i'm pooping rocks now.:blushing:

to try and help myself, i've been eating prunes now too. but they are high in calories.:grumble:
~100 for only 5 little prunies.

what might u reccomend?

thank you, robin:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• oregonlady
    Options
    trying to eat ultra healthy, i eat mostly fruits and veges. :smile:
    i am going way over on my fiber intake.:noway:
    i feel like i'm pooping rocks now.:blushing:

to try and help myself, i've been eating prunes now too. but they are high in calories.:grumble:
    ~100 for only 5 little prunies.

what might u reccomend?

thank you, robin:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    A certain amount of adjustment time can be expected, which explains your 'difficulties'. I went through the same thing.

Fiber can be located in more than just fruits and veggies. Flax seed is not only a form of fiber, but is also a mild laxative. Peanut butter is good. A good earthy wheat bread , such as Aunt Milies, does wonders. I'm sure there are more, but there's a start.

How many grams of fiber are you getting per day? I aim for 25-30 and I'm happy.
  • Ella09
    Ella09 Posts: 9
    Options
    usually if you eat a lot of fiber, you should be experiencing the opposite. That's weird!
  • BIGGRAMMA
    BIGGRAMMA Posts: 2,273
    Options
    If you are eating extra fiber....You need to drink extra fluids.....:drinker: :drinker:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You HAVE TO make sure you drink plenty of water otherwise the fiber will have the opposite effect.
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Dont feel bad I am in week one and had the same problem...now that I have increased my water...Im just starting to have the opposite effect...

hang in there...:glasses:

Oh..and if you want a good laugh about that...check out under the games etc..topics and find 5 alarm chili...it will give you a good laugh!
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You HAVE TO make sure you drink plenty of water otherwise the fiber will have the opposite effect.

Absolutely!!!
    Water, lots of water!!!

One without the other just doesn't work.:noway:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem this week. I already drink 16-24 cups of water so I can't get more in. I switched back to eggs at breakfast for a couple days and had no problem after that. I just watch my fat intake the rest of the day to make sure I don't go over.
    Amy:bigsmile:

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Great advice, everyone...

I've had the same problem. I'd vary your fiber sources until you find one that has the desired effect. Also eat foods with "stool-softening" properties, such as bananas. And avoid eating too many foods with "binding" properties, such as cheese.

Oh, and one more thing... If you're finding that the fiber you eat is just giving you a lot of gas without helping you move your bowels, you should probably try a new source. I don't understand how people will put up with side effects of foods that clearly indicate that their bodies don't like what they're eating!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Since when do bananas soften stool? When children have diarrhea they go on the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Tea/Toast. Bananas are binding foods as far as I've ever been told.
  • oregonlady
    Options
    A certain amount of adjustment time can be expected, which explains your 'difficulties'. I went through the same thing.

Fiber can be located in more than just fruits and veggies. Flax seed is not only a form of fiber, but is also a mild laxative. Peanut butter is good. A good earthy wheat bread , such as Aunt Milies, does wonders. I'm sure there are more, but there's a start.

looking back at my logs, i see 30 g. as my least. 55 as my most. i have been struggeling to down my 8 glasses h2o per day but i've managed. you all reccomend i drink more?

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Maybe just another 8 oz or so & see if it helps any. Worth a shot! Pears help my kids when they're having similar "issues", too.
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options

looking back at my logs, i see 30 g. as my least. 55 as my most. i have been struggeling to down my 8 glasses h2o per day but i've managed. you all reccomend i drink more?

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I think you should drink more. Especially with that amount of fiber. I have a 32oz water bottle, I try to make sure I refill and empty it at least 3 times a day. I tend to go a little fiber heavy too and notice on the days I don't drink at least 3 of my water bottles... I am a little... well... plugged :) If you don't like the taste of plain water try either filtering it (this often makes it taste MUCH better than bleachified tap water... ick) or add Crystal Light or a squirt of lemon juice with some artificial sweetner (not too much though, that stuff isn't great for you), or some other frozen fruit as "fruit ice cubes". If you like hot tea, try hot green tea. It'll count toward your water intake. Good luck :)
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Since when do bananas soften stool? When children have diarrhea they go on the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Tea/Toast. Bananas are binding foods as far as I've ever been told.

Hmm... I guess the distinction I was trying to make was between binding foods that harden versus soften. Bananas certainly don't loosen the stool - hence, the BRAT diet. But they also don't harden it into rock-like formations. They product a "soft-bound" product. Much as a product like Miralax does.
  • oregonlady
    Options
    i like the pear idea best. it jotted that down on my grocery list.

thank you:heart::heart: :heart: