Exhaustion with running

Options
I have been running (jogging) since spring and a little last fall. My issue is after my first 7 minutes or so my body is exhausted and I start walking. After a couple minutes I start running again but can only run a few minutes befoe I have to walk again. Is this normal? I've tried the 3/1 ratio and that seems to be worse. After the initial "run" my body is done! Please help. Thanks

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with walk breaks! Try Couch to 5K (C25K) which starts with just one minute of running and builds you up.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you still find that you stall at a certain amount of running, run slower. If you're still stuck, RUN EVEN SLOWER! Speed will come with time, just get used to running first.

Here are my beginner's running tips, hope they help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Read the entry about the "toxic 10" - you start to feel better once you break the 10 minute barrier.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I have been running (jogging) since spring and a little last fall. My issue is after my first 7 minutes or so my body is exhausted and I start walking. After a couple minutes I start running again but can only run a few minutes befoe I have to walk again. Is this normal? I've tried the 3/1 ratio and that seems to be worse. After the initial "run" my body is done! Please help. Thanks

Nothing wrong with walk breaks, I did it for a couple months before I realized that I was "expecting" the break to come up etc.

I think it's all mental, you "think" your walk break is coming up, so your body is reacting to your mind.

Once that mental barrier was broken, I was able to run and not stop....I went from not running 1 mile straight to running 7 miles straight in 2 weeks...I'm now over 10 miles and running a Half-Marathon in 2 weeks. I started running in May.
  • sjostrich
    sjostrich Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey Kimmy

I've got a few thoughts. First, make sure you're eating lots of simple carbs to keep your energy stores up but don't skimp on the protien to rebuild those muscles. Maybe carry around some jelly beans in your pocket for a mid-run boost. Also, I can't see your diary but are you getting enough iron in your diet? Anemia makes it really difficult to get enough oxygenated blood to those stressed muscles and makes your body feel like lead. Maybe try some iron supplements or iron-rich foods.

I also find having a little powernap after your runs helps recharge. :)

Hope that helps!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me it is like this: I get exhausted quickly into a run but then it doesn't get worse if I keep running, it just sort of stays the same. The tricky part is getting myself to keep running (though I have managed well for the most part so far).
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend Couch to 5k (www.c25k.com).
    You will start off with 60 second runs and 90 second walks and every day you run it will build up more and more. After 9 weeks you should be running a 5k or 30 minutes non-stop.
    Great program.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Are you running too fast? Your body will let you know what pace is good for you. Maybe if you slow it down a bit, you won't feel so winded. Also, it could be what others have said. I know I have had some days where it feels like a struggle to run and not walk. That is due to various factors such as diet, TOM, weather...
  • mariec25
    Options
    I'm not a fitness expert and there may be reasons for this that I know nothing about, but, for me I always find the first mile the toughest, no matter how long I am running for, I always want to give up until I have run for 10 minutes and completed mile 1, after that I get into a rhythm and I can run for miles. I find its a battle with my mind and I have to push myself through at the start, and if I ever have taken a walk break I find I have to do that battle all over again once I start running. I also find the more I have had to eat that day the better and longer I run, but still I try to stick to healthier foods and I always have carbs in my diet which helps too.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM? Maybe you need to follow a program that builds up your endurance.
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, you may be starting out too fast. Although that said, running isn't the easiest of sports to get over the inital beginning hump. Stick at it, try going slower to begin with, and incorporate walks in earlier to the run so that you don't burn out as quickly. Good luck!
  • skan4nl
    Options
    Your body will start to get there!! It just takes awhile. Make sure you drink plenty of water!! and it's okay to stop and take a breather.. that's how you build endurance!! also try and do inclines as well walking up a hill.. and its been said if you can get pass your first 15 minutes and hit that plateau its smooth selling from there (that's how I feel when I run) just get pass that wall yell at yourself tell yourself you got this! Also get some motivating music :)
  • TreadmillManiac
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing and for me it was feeling breathless and needing to stop. I've overcome this by working on interval training, short bursts of intensity to get used to feeling a high heart rate and building lung capacity. Obviously this sort of training shouldn't be attempted if you have heart issues etc.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who mentioned diet. If you're serious about making some progress with your exercise (& this goes for strength training too) then you have to make sure you're eating sufficient protein. Carbs will definitely give you energy short term, but if this is something you want to continue working on, making sure you get your protein up over 100g a day (150g would be even better) can make a significant difference in your energy levels throughout the day & help sustain your workouts.

And ditto on the C25K. "I've been running since spring" & "I've been diligently following a training program" are not the same thing. Following a structured program will help you get to your goals faster. If I can do it, you definitely can!
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have only been running a month but definitely can say the first mile is the hardest most times and then it goes to auto pilot...It's like a mental hurdle that first mile or 10 minutes....Keep it going! It will click in!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My first thought was isn't that part of the point of running is to be exhausting and push your body?

Like everyone else said. Nothing wrong with walk breaks, but try and extend your longest running time just a little bit each time out.
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Running is more a mind game than a physical game. Your body CAN run long distances but your mind tells you that you CANNOT. Push through your mental hurdles. Get yourself distracted and not focusing on your stride, breathing, pavement.....I love to day dream while running as it takes my mind away from the physical feelings that my mind wants to use to get me to give up.

Be hydrated.

Maybe trying having a little something to eat 30-60minutes before running such as a banana with a little peanut butter. Your body might not be ready to run if you've been starving yourself or coming in under your calories.

Just a few thoughts.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Slow down. People often run "as fast as they can" when they start out. You need to keep it at a "conversational pace" such that you could carry on a conversation without much huffing and puffing.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely recommend C25K as well. I just finished it and am about to start a new program. I just feel like with a program, I know I am doing the right thing (building up gradually) and I continue to push myself.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are running to fast. Try slowing down your pace in order to build up your endurance.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. It isn't that I'm winded or out of breath either, it's that my legs go dead. I can't go any slower (or I'll be walking), but I can't seem to make my legs keep moving once I hit that wall. I've been doing this for 7 months now and cannot run more than a mile without taking walk breaks.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys have given me a lot to look into and try. I will try the C25K thing, be sure to increase my protein and have carbs before I run. Concentrate on slowing my pace, and get over the "hump". I have definately gotten better, so perhaps I am pushing myself too fast. MFP is Great!