Bodyweight Fluctuation

Hi all,
My body is very sensetive to any type of shock. My bodyweight fluctuates whenever I do an intense workout, especially with weights. If I somehow shock my body, I gain around 5 lbs. I'm expecting this to be waterweight, because I do drink my daily recommended water, and I'm very strict on my diet. However, If I do a workout and end up being sore from the workout, or doing a workout that my body isn't used to, I gain like 5 lbs overnight. After a couple days it balances back out. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    I do! I had one cheat day and gained 8 pounds...went to the gym and lost 3...things like this happen to me all the time. I just don't step on the scale as much anymore.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    I have the same issue. I never had any problems weighing myself every single day before, because fluctuations were minimal. Now that I am weight lifting a lot more, my weight shoots around like its going out of style! I can even recognize 1lb differences if a small muscle group is sore versus large or entire body weight gain! It seems normal to me :D
  • Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    I always gain weight the morning after I have an extra hard workout!! Not sure why either, so I guess I'm not much help:)
  • I am actually really relieved to see that other people have this happen to them too!!!! Whew :)
  • I am actually really relieved to see that other people have this happen to them too!!!! Whew :)
  • Thank god its not just me - I have been freaking out about gaining 1.3 kilos since Sunday morning depsite having kept well under my calories and doing some serious cardio for the first time in a while. I am hopeful this is water weight that will balance out when my muscles stop being so sore - I think I read somewhere that muscles hold weight when repairing after intense workouts.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Weight training can cause heavy water retention while the muscles repair. Changes of diet can do it too.

My scale will fluctuate 1-2 pound from day to day. This morning I was 1.2 pounds higher, probably due to my high sodium intake yesterday. I like to weigh everyday so I can see those trends, but I don't get hung up on the daily numbers. I focus on overall losses over time.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Thank god its not just me - I have been freaking out about gaining 1.3 kilos since Sunday morning depsite having kept well under my calories and doing some serious cardio for the first time in a while. I am hopeful this is water weight that will balance out when my muscles stop being so sore - I think I read somewhere that muscles hold weight when repairing after intense workouts.

Ya, I've read this before also. I know the reason its happening, its still a very big downer when you get to a goal that makes you happy and motivated, then all of a sudden, you gain 5 lbs. lol...
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    My weight fluctuates by up to 5 pounds on a daily basis. There isn't any obvious correlation with the type or amount of exercise that I've been able to figure out. However, I am very sensitive to sodium and even though I consume well under the recommended maximum and virtually no processed or prepared foods, a small increase in sodium intake above my usual amount will mess me up for days. I weigh myself frequently (a bit of OCD-ish behavior) but I've stopped really caring about what I see because I know there is no way I can be gaining anything given what I am eating. Longer-term stalls, though, sometimes mean my TSH levels are out of whack again.