I need some answers please!

Options
Ok, for a while I was eating in starvation mode. Less than 800 calories a day and then working out and not eating the calories back. I realize this was a terrible thing to do to my body, and I wasn't losing weight. I began about 5 days ago trying to reach a goal of at least 1000 calories a day, and eating back my exercise calories. I have gained weight!! three pounds!!! I want to do things the right way and not starve myself but my brain says stop eating so much look at the what you're doing to the scale!!! I'm wondering if my body just hasn't realized yet that I will continuously give it this amount of calories and that this isn't some sort of binge. Will I begin to lose? How long am I going to gain before that happens?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You need to eat all your calories. Your body is holding on to anything you give it because it doesn't know when it's getting more. If you are exercising eat them too. Make healthy choices.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is just food/water weight. It will level off soon.
  • whiteasnow
    Options
    I'm not positive but I've been told not to eat under 1200 calories a day. Maybe you are still in starvation mode so your body is grabbing up those extra calories now? I, too, noticed that if I eat all that they suggest to eat after working out, I will not loose weight for that day so I eat my 1,200 calories a day and sometimes I accomidate for the exercise and sometimes I don't. I had to reduce my carb intake in order to loose weight but it's not extreme. I set my goal for only 75 carbs a day and my fat intake of 40 which I sometimes go over. Hang in there and see what happens if you get out of starvation mode.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would guess that right now you will gain since you ahve been eating so few calories. Your body doesn't trust that it will get what it needs all the time. GIve it some time eating more and making ehalthy choices. It should turn around once your body realizes it will get what it needs to be healthy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When you first add back calories you may gain a few pounds (some is probably water weight) until your metabolism speeds back up to "normal" level, then you will start to lose again. I would suggest staying away from the scale for 3-4 weeks, and keep slowly adding cals back into your diet.
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When you first add back calories you may gain a few pounds (some is probably water weight) until your metabolism speeds back up to "normal" level, then you will start to lose again. I would suggest staying away from the scale for 3-4 weeks, and keep slowly adding cals back into your diet.

I agree with what everyone has said here...especially Erik. The gain you see on the scale is most likely just temporary and could be anything from excess water to your body holding on to that extra because it doesn't know when it's going to be fed again. It's going to take some time to undo what's been done and for your metabolism to regulate itself based on your new healthy eating style. I agree with Erik.....stay away from the scale for 3 to 4 weeks until your body has regulated itself and then weigh only once a week. I know it's hard but it is better and so much less depressing than seeing the yo yoing going on all week long like our bodies are apt to do. You will be back to losing again in no time, hang in there!