refilling my plastic water bottle?

Options
On my water bottle it say DO NOT REFILL, it's a 1 liter bottle that you buy in 12 packs at Walmart or Kroger, I carry it with me all day, and I don't want to carry 2 with me to get my daily 8 glasses of water, is it safe for me to refill this water bottle up once? I only have 1 reusable water bottle but it's heavy and awkwardly shaped so it doesn't fit into my backpack properly (it's rectangular).

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Does it leak when you refill it?
  • DShayShay77
    DShayShay77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I refill mine all the time- sometimes I will use the same one for a good two weeks or so. It's never hurt me and saves me money...
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    i always refill mine...numerous times until they look tore up and then i throw them away...

if you want a nice waterbottle without spending a fortune...check out a Big Lots Store if you have one near you...i bought a really nice RubberMaid one from there and it was only $4...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I know it is not recommended to refill multiple times and by multiple I mean for more than one day especially if the bottle has been sitting in a warm car the plastic will start to leech.

If it is specifically warning you not to then that means it could be dangerous, that it is definitely leeching cancer-causing chemicals. Perhaps it’s a thin bottle for the environment hence the warning on not refilling.

If you don't want to invest $25 in a Sigg which has absolutely no leeching or taste transfer the Rubbermaid bottles are good as well for about $5.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I beleive its safe to refill it and use the same one all day. To be safe, I'd use a new one each day, but refilling all day for continuous use should be fine!

I have read its very bad to leave it in the car where it could get really hot (something about toxins releasing when it warms up).
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone saying it’s ok when it warns you not too? When you hair dryer says not to submerge in water or use while you are submerged in water do you do it? The warning is there for a reason, to protect Wal-Mart’s liability and your safety/health. Obviously there was a previous tort and a law suit has occurred suing Walmart for negligence therefore it is highly recommended you follow the directions. Better yet, do your part for the environment and invest in a reusable bottle and a Brita pitcher.
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    I rinse it out with warm water first, but I use it all day and when I get home I rinse it out one more time and put filtered water in it and put it in my fridge for the next day, (I rarely use it more than 3 days)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone saying it’s ok when it warns you not too? When you hair dryer says not to submerge in water or use while you are submerged in water do you do it? The warning is there for a reason, to protect Wal-Mart’s liability and your safety/health. Obviously there was a previous tort and a law suit has occurred suing Walmart for negligence therefore it is highly recommended you follow the directions. Better yet, do your part for the environment and invest in a reusable bottle and a Brita pitcher.

I think everyone is saying its OK 'within reason" ...as in not for an extended period of time.

There are plenty of warnings out there that just stem from stupidity of some consumers (like the "drinking when pregnant" warning on liquor bottles because some idiot drank a fifth a day while pregnant and had a messed up kid, then sued).

Let's also consider that the warning statement on the bottle is put there by people who SELL water...its in their interest for you to use a new one every time.

As long as someone uses common sense and some caution, its not that big of a deal.
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    I would do my part and buy a Brita filter or what have you but every time I go to the store (and I have my coupon for the Filtrete water bottle refill thing on me, it's always sold out), I'm a college kid I can't afford to pay full price for anything, I have a part time job. (and no I don't spend my money on stupid stuff like partying and alcohol, The only time I even go out and spend my money is twice a month me and my friends go cosmic bowling.) But I do recycle my plastic water bottles.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love my Brita water filter bottle. The water at work (different city) is just nasty. I too am guilty of refilling my regular water bottles too much - I need to swap them out more often.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The bottles for bottled water are not designed for refilling. They are difficult to wash well, and bacteria gets into them very easily.

I bought a reusable plastic bottle (BPA-free) by Under Armour (got it at Sports Authority). I love it because it has this great lid that I can just push a button and it pops open, making it a one-handed deal, which is great while working out. It has a nice-sized opening I can drink out of (not one of those things you have to suck on to get the water out). It's a lot cheaper to get a good reusable bottle and fill it yourself. If your water tastes bad, invest in a Brita filtration pitcher or something. Buying bottled water gets VERY expensive after awhile.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I have a 40 oz. food grade stainless steel water bottle from Kleen Kanteen. Personally, I couldn't imagine ever going back to plastic water bottles. Yes, the 40oz. size is a bit large and might be cumbersome for small hands but they do sell smaller sizes. It has been dropped, beaten and baked in the car before and the only way you can tell it is not brand new is a few scratches and the logo has worn off with time. The tops are made to clip on to a bag or belt with a carabiner clip. I will admit that it was a little more expensive than I wanted to spend at the time. I think I bought the 40oz size for $50 but it has lasted me 6 years or so and looks like it will last for another 30 at least.

Personally I have refilled plastic bottles before and used them for extended periods of time. Backpacking through Europe taught me to always keep some sort of container around for water. I just choose to have a stainless steel bottle now.
  • Kimmy546
    Kimmy546 Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't think it's an issue unless your getting your water to refill from a trough. Refilling from filtered water a water dispenser is fine. 2-days at the most though... after that it is probably questionable :) Happy recycling and refilling.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I refill my bottles for a few days, 2-3, then I get rid of them. Been doing this for quite some time.
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    maybe get a bobble- they have different sizes and they have a built in filter- always have safe water. They are fun to squeeze (you have to apply light pressure to get H20 out!). My new best friend!

http://www.waterbobble.com/
  • sweetsounds1026
    sweetsounds1026 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I refill mine all the time for weeks sometimes. That label is there simply because they have to warn you of plastic hazards. But if you maintain your bottle out of the heat it's very safe. The heat causes the plastic to shrink and it can contaminate your water (FYI). That is why water bottles have to be stored in cool dry places away from direct sun or heat.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I will refill one a few times over a day or two. Most bottles are thin plastic so I do not trust them after that. I use clean water and rinse it before I refill. I would think that germs do build up in it after a day or two.

I think the warning is, in part, a marketing ploy so that you buy more water. Also if the warning is about something leeching out of the bottle into the water, I would think the water that came in the bottle originally would be more contaminated than my water.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think it may be a message to retailers who do bottle fills? Similar to the "do not sell as individual item" messages on items that come in a package.

I could be wrong though.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My brother is research scientist and has seen tons of studies....he won't touch plastic bottled water with a ten foot pole. Now, everyone has to figure out how important this issue is...everyone will have a different opinion. The saliva that is in the bottle after the first use, will continue to break the bottle down faster and increases toxins. I would never reuse a disposable water bottle (my opinion).

What you need to do is research the issue. It is not just a question of toxic BPAs in your water, but also other issues, for example, follow the jump below...

"The researchers from Goethe University sampled 20 brands of bottled water packaged in plastic and glass bottles and found that 78 percent of the samples packaged in plastic bottles had high amounts of chemicals called "endocrine disrupters...."

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-women/2009/03/12/plastic-water-bottles-should-you-avoid-the-disposable-kind-too

google about it and find out it is a risk you are willing to take. personally, i love drinking out of glass (I carry a mason jar around....lol) and sometimes, stainless steel, but am progressively taking all plastics out of contact with my food (as much as is possible).
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I used to reuse plastic bottles several times. I do still have a couple cases in my house, but they are for my hurricane emergency supply.

I stopped using them altogether for daily use a while ago and switched to an aluminum bottle that I refill from a Pur filter pitcher that I keep in my fridge.