Scales are....

Options
ivikatasha
ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
EVIL!!!!!!!

It says I have gained like 1.5 lbs, but I measured myself and I have lost 2 inches......

:mad:

*throws the scale out the window!!!!!!!!*

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    lmao I saw the title of your post and the first word I thought of was EVIL! lol Don't worry, it just means you have gained muscle. I didn't keep a scale in my house for over 10 years cause they kept pissing me off. I guaged my weight loss by how my pants fit. ;)
  • wendorfa
    Options
    Seriously, mine said the same stupid thing yesterday. I was like wait, I worked out 5 days last week AND walked for 3 hours on Saturday (in addition to the 5 days), and was under my calorie goal EVERY day, AND drank a ton of water. The new scale I bought has only fluctuated by about half a lb in 3 weeks, yet my old scale has gone down by about 5 lbs. So what gives? UGH.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Why not a happy face? Aren't you happy that you lost 2 inches? It is a much better gauge of weight loss as opposed to something that can fluctuate so much and so easily.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like in the beginning of weight loss journey (especially if engaging in exercise) I don't like to pay much attention to the scale. You will start to put on some muscle (which is much leaner than fat), but loose fat. This will definitely result in a better figure and loosing inches. The problem is, the scale may show you to have gained weight or stayed the same. Best way to measure is Body Fat, but once again, I wouldn't really use a scale for that either as they are somewhat inaccurate. Skinfold measurements by professionals are probably the best.

Best Advice, Just pay attention to the inches loss and keep at it!!! Don't let little things stop you or get you down. If you aren't seeing the weight loss, that doesn't mean you aren't getting fit. Another thing is to give it time. Don't give up because you are instantly getting results because you have to give your body some time for you metabolism to kick in (especially with dieting).
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Remove the batteries and put them back in!!!
  • ivikatasha
    Options
    Why not a happy face? Aren't you happy that you lost 2 inches? It is a much better gauge of weight loss as opposed to something that can fluctuate so much and so easily.

I am just making the angry face at the scale, I am quite happy I lost inches! :D
  • lourod476
    Options
    Ivikatasha,

I can understand why, but get frustrated, you are gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so will be able to lose inches and yet still gain weight because your body is changing for the better. Plus muscle burns more calories so that you will be able to lose more even faster, just keep looking forward. Your doing great!
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    lmao I saw the title of your post and the first word I thought of was EVIL! lol Don't worry, it just means you have gained muscle. I didn't keep a scale in my house for over 10 years cause they kept pissing me off. I guaged my weight loss by how my pants fit. ;)

I filled in the blank with evil to. Me and my scale are in a dysfunctional relationship (Love/Hate). :grumble:
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    EVIL!!!!!!!

It says I have gained like 1.5 lbs, but I measured myself and I have lost 2 inches......

Ditch the scale and go with the mirror, it's not like your date is ever going to ask you "Oh listen what do you weigh?".
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mine need to be kicked out and never return. Yesterday mine read almost a 4 lb gain and today the almost 4 lb gain has disappeared. I put on a pair of jeans I purchased a month or so ago and now the waist need to be taken in. I have a new neighbor who is unfriendly, arrogant and rude. Maybe I should wrap it up and welcome him to the neighborhood.
  • gracielou09
    Options
    I find that the most accurate scale is the one that you stand on and move the weights across. You see them at the doctor. I use the one at my 24 hour fitness and it shows better results than my silly digital one at home.
  • wendorfa
    Options
    Mine need to be kicked out and never return. Yesterday mine read almost a 4 lb gain and today the almost 4 lb gain has disappeared. I put on a pair of jeans I purchased a month or so ago and now the waist need to be taken in. I have a new neighbor who is unfriendly, arrogant and rude. Maybe I should wrap it up and welcome him to the neighborhood.

Yesterday my daughter asked me "are those the jeans you got recently?" and I said yes. She said "the butt is saggy" LOL. I am SO close to being down to the next size but yes, I notice the inches going too and the scale lying about it hahahaha.
  • ivikatasha
    Options
    I find that the most accurate scale is the one that you stand on and move the weights across. You see them at the doctor. I use the one at my 24 hour fitness and it shows better results than my silly digital one at home.

I have found that to be the case too. Both the one at my doctors office and then one at curves (when I still went there) had me at the same or lower weight then my own digital scale at home with my clothes off early in the morning.... I think my scale might have some serious issues anyway hahaha
  • wendorfa
    Options
    See my doctor's office has a digital scale, not the kind w/ the sliders. I wish they did, because I know my best friend said her doctor's office is 8 lbs higher than her scale at home, but at the pediatrician's office it matches her home scale exactly. Ugh. So hard to know. I weighed myself on 3 scales Tues and all three said something different!
  • azzledazzle
    Options
    scales are my worst enemy,

one time i was on the scales and the screen said to me' One at a time please' Then it said ' To be continued'
  • Splinkysgirl2
    Options
    EVIL!!!!!!!

Ditch the scale and go with the mirror, it's not like your date is ever going to ask you "Oh listen what do you weigh?".

I agree. Go with the mirror. I tell my friends to become intimately familiar with their own body. Don't be ashamed or upset with what you see right now. Know where all the rolls and creases and dimples are. Watch for daily signs of them changing and shrinking as you continue to eat right and exercise. I do this every morning when I'm getting ready for my day. It motivates me when I see that hump or crease getting smaller. Keep up the good work. Hang in there.
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Be happy with inches lost....muscle does weigh more but remember and i had a hard time to get this through my head.......muscle also takes up less room then fat..........enjoy your victory
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My mom's scale (the one I use for my weigh ins) and my mother-in-law's scale are off from each other by about 15 pounds. Both start at 0. I wish my mother-in-law's scale was accurate (gives the lower reading). Oh well, I'm still losing so all is good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!