mermaid or whale?

Options
Read this story this morning and thought it was interesting...

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3261/Body-Image-Parable-Goes-Viral-Mermaid-or-Whale.html

Replies

• alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I read it yesterday,
    I think is very inspirational and makes you think of those who discriminate others because of their weight.
    Not fair.
    But on the other hand, it's promoting that being overweight is ok as long as you have good self esteem and feel better with yourself.
    I said I rather be a dolphin :)
    It's ok to be self confident, but another thing is to be healthy, and life longer for those you love and so you can be an example to them
  • newvictoria
    Options
    I love that one.... been all over Facebook. It's a keeper!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    what is ironic is that they say that sailors used to mistake manatee's for mermaids!
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    I agree it would be best to be a dolphin! I just thought it was an interesting perspective!
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Have it on my FB page and I'd rather be a dolpgin too!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What a great outlook! I'd rather be a WHALE!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Whales do not befriend seals. Come on.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options

That's what you took from that? LOL!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I literally rolled my eyes when I read this yesterday.

This.... "We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies."

Lets be real.... we gain weight because we have kids, we stop making ourselves a priority, we get busy and hit the drive thru too much, we stop moving, stop even noticing sometimes. And a multitude of other very REAL reasons. I think this message is just ridiculous. Its not okay to excuse away being unhealthy by saying youre cultured and wise. Theres a very real difference in having self esteem and feeling good about yourself and making excuses to continue on in a lifestyle that isnt healthy.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This whole thing could die quickly and I'd never miss it.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Lets be real.... we gain weight because we have kids, we stop making ourselves a priority, we get busy and hit the drive thru too much, we stop moving, stop even noticing sometimes. And a multitude of other very REAL reasons. I think this message is just ridiculous. Its not okay to excuse away being unhealthy by saying youre cultured and wise. Theres a very real difference in having self esteem and feeling good about yourself and making excuses to continue on in a lifestyle that isnt healthy.
    +1. Except a collective "you" instead of "we."
    -wtk
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm with Juliecat11. Its pretty ridiculous. I'd rather be me than anything else. And if I want to feel proud of myself for working hard at getting back to a healthy weight with no health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes and achey joints, I AM GOING TO FEEL PROUD OF MYSELF!

It's hard work to be human. And I am happy that I'm working on eating right and getting exercise in so that I can have a long life to spend with my children and my family.
  • Contrarian
    Options

That's what you took from that? LOL!

Yup. The inaccuracies of the whole thing are overwhelming so I chose to address the one that I can prove.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    This whole thing could die quickly and I'd never miss it.

:laugh: I concur!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I hate to come across as *****y, but REALLY? ..... "We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
    We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated." .... No, pretty sure MOST of us gain weight because we eat too much and don't move enough.....and fat is fat. I'm all about inspiring women to feel comfortable in their own skin/be proud of our bodies...but common. Idk, am I the only one that feels like this whole thing is a load of crap?
  • Contrarian
    Options
    I hate to come across as *****y, but REALLY? ..... "We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn't enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
    We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated." .... No, pretty sure MOST of us gain weight because we eat too much and don't move enough. I'm all about inspiring women to feel comfortable in their own skin/be proud of our bodies...but common. Idk, am I the only one that feels like this whole thing is a load of crap?

No! Your pants are too tight because you are WISE! That is wisdom on our thighs, ladies!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Idk, am I the only one that feels like this whole thing is a load of crap?

No, 111,111 squared, you are apparently the seventh person to respond that it's bullsh*t.
    -wtk
  • happysongbird
    Options
    My husband is pretty sure that the women who write these things haven't really gotten their husbands' perspectives and are making excuses. Sure, everyone is shaped differently and being anorexic isn't attractive either, but (he says for most men) basically lean and fit is the most pleasing. As for having more "fun" being more plump, I would put my fun that I can have from being slim and strong up against their "fun" from overeating any day. I can dance for hours, go on runs and bike rides with my husband, and have many advantages from the limberness that only comes with strength, stretching, and being more on the slender side. I'm not ashamed to say that having a body that pleases my husband is an important goal. He is my best friend. It is something I can do to make him happy, so why wouldn't I? Be happy with the progress you've made, don't dwell on things you can't change, but be inspired for the right reasons and don't let others talk you out of good goals.
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    I read it yesterday,
    I think is very inspirational and makes you think of those who discriminate others because of their weight.
    Not fair.
    But on the other hand, it's promoting that being overweight is ok as long as you have good self esteem and feel better with yourself.
    I said I rather be a dolphin :)
    It's ok to be self confident, but another thing is to be healthy, and life longer for those you love and so you can be an example to them

That's EXACTLY what I thought....I'd say DOLPHIN. I don't want to promote being overweight...it's not healthy. But dolphins are sleek, social and agile....and who doesn't love dolphins?! :)
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated." .... No, pretty sure MOST of us gain weight because we eat too much and don't move enough. I'm all about inspiring women to feel comfortable in their own skin/be proud of our bodies...but common. Idk, am I the only one that feels like this whole thing is a load of crap?

No! Your pants are too tight because you are WISE! That is wisdom on our thighs, ladies!

Dammit, I lost nearly all my wisdom! I didn't know! Better start eating tons of ice cream so I can get it back!