PUSH UP

Options
So I am 26 years old and still cannot do a push up. I have tried the modified version, but my arms are so weak. Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions. I am currently doing 30DS and just stay in push up position until we move on to the next exercise. This is a NSV that i would love to accomplish.

Replies

• Anngetsfit
    Anngetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try doing wall push up. Stand up facing the wall and do the push ups that way. Then work up to the modified push ups and so on.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I could barely do 1 before (modified) and now I can do about 10. I belive, and correct me if I'm wrong people, but the only way to really get better at push-ups (or most things) is to just do them. You will gain strength wih 30DS for sure- so just push yourself and you'll get there!!
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    With weight training and fat turning into muscle you will be able to do it in know time! That was a struggle of mine and was finally able to do a push last week after 2 months of dieting and exercise. I started out with planks, then modified push-up and finally a full push up.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Try doing wall push up. Stand up facing the wall and do the push ups that way. Then work up to the modified push ups and so on.

Never heard of wall push ups!! Gonna try them!! Thanks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    do them against the wall, the farther your feet are away the harder they are. Once you get good at that use a chair or table, then move on to knees, then once you are good at those you will be ready for regular push-ups.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It just takes time. Women are just naturally weaker in the upper body than men, but you can build it up. Even if you can only move down an inch or two in the modified position, keep trying. and do other upper body weights, too. I used to be able to manage only 3 or 4 modified ones before I was shaking. But I've been doing weights more, and taking a cardio/circuit class (similar to 30DS, from what I know of it), and now I can do 15 at a time without dying. And hey, I'm 40, so you got LOTS of time!!

Hang in there!
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If it helps, you're not alone. I manage to get ~5 out & spend the rest of the time splayed on the floor.

I find that it really hurts my wrists- like a sharp pain. Any advice?
  • Statari
    Statari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest a wall push-up or a push-up with your feet on the ground and your hands on the second or third stair (or on the back of your sofa) to make it easier. The more parallel to the floor you are, the harder the push-up is. It's important to do the exercise right with the correct form, rather than doing it improperly.
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I used to have that same problem. When I first joined my gym, the trainer that was assigned to me had me do a push up in an upright position. I was standing in the free weights area of the gym and there was this "machine" it looked like a frame of some sort. Anyway, there was a metal bar across the machine at about hip level and I placed my hands on the bar like I was going to do a push up and moved my feet back so everything was straight and I did my first push up in about 20 years. The other thing she had me do to build up some strength in my arms was planks. Basically on a mat, lay on your stomach, put your forearm on the mat beneath you and push your body up until everything is aligned. Engage your core and hold as long as you can. She just had me repeat this a couple of times, 2 or 3 times a week, and before you know it, you'll develop some strength in your arms.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • masterfitness4u
    Options
    Start with doing push ups on your knees. Also, you can work on the muscles groups of your shoulders, triceps and chest. I only use incline, flat and decline bench and I max my pushups in the miltiary.

So do a couple of sets on your knees to failure and you will build the muscles up.

Oh I see you tried the modified position. Oops.
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I struggled a lot too. One thing that helped build up strength over time was to start in a push-up (or modified push-up) position and lower yourself to the floor as slowly as you can. It's really hard at first, but over time it will get easier and easier! Good luck!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    So you think you can't do a push up eh? Most people who have difficulty with them actually lack core strength or technique more than actual upper body strength. Obviously there are a ton of arm, chest and core strength training that you can do to help you up but here are a few adaptations that will help you get on your way to a full, military style, push-up.

1. Start layining on your stomach with your thumbs tucked under your arm pits, sort of "at the ready". Then push up. Even if you're hella sloppy you'll still work the chest and arm musles required. Then go down on your knees and reset. Make sure your core stays nice and strong and that your head doesn't dip bellow your shoulders.

2. Do the opposit. Start up and slowly go down as far as you can, or until your upper arm is parrallel with the floor. When you can't go further. Knees down, take a quick break and reset. Make sure your core stays nice and strong and that your head doesn't dip bellow your shoulders.

3. Set yourself up in from of a set of stairs with your feet on the floor, toes pressed up the bottom stair. "Fall" forward and place your hands on whatever stair is in line with your shoulders. Push up from the stairs. As you get stronger, take a step out and move down one stair. Continue doing this until you can do them flat on the ground. Make sure no matter what level you're on that your core stays nice and strong and that your head doesn't dip bellow your shoulders.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    If it helps, you're not alone. I manage to get ~5 out & spend the rest of the time splayed on the floor.

I find that it really hurts my wrists- like a sharp pain. Any advice?

I have trouble with the wrist pain too. Had to give up on 30DS after 15 days due to a really painful wrist with all the planks and stuff. Am on day 6 now and concerned it may happen again!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Staying in the push up position, aka a plank, will help develop that arm strength also, along with the wall pushups and other suggestions above! Just keep trying, even if you just do one or two a day and work up to it! When I started 30DS I couldn't do more than a couple, but I can do about 15 now, which is HUGE for me!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of 30ds I could only do 1 of the girly pushups. Now (day 7 but have taken like 6 days off in between days) I can do 16, still girly though. LOL My goal is to get to at least 10 of the real pushups. Right now even though I can do 16 of the modified ones I can't even get 1 normal one!