What do you eat after you've thrown up?

Options
Sorry, I don't mean to make you think graphically, but I do need some advice. I don't often get sick like this, so I forget what to do. Last night, I threw up about three times. I felt awful! Today, I am well rested, but am feeling a bit off still. I know it is because I could not get any more calories in last night because of being sick. But, I am afraid of making myself throw up all over again by eating too heavy this morning. So far, I've been eating a banana. I know I need to eat a lot more. So, what do you guys recommend I eat/drink?

Thank you.

Replies

• sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I usually eat crackers, dry toast, soup and drink sprite. Hope you feel better.
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    try some dry toast (no butter or margerine) or some saltines...ginger ale is also good...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    BRAT Diet:
    Bananas Rice Applesauce and Toast.

Don't force yourself to eat just because you think you should.. it's only going to make it worse. Ride the sickness out and then resume eating like normal.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Boiled white rice cooked with a chicken stock cube in the water. Feel better soon!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    BRAT!
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat yet. The main thing is to stay hydrated. Water, gatorade, popsicles whatever you like. Otherwise toast, crackers, soup or broth work ok for me. Hope you get better soon!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Banana smoothie!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    BRAT Diet:
    Bananas Rice Applesauce and Toast.

Don't force yourself to eat just because you think you should.. it's only going to make it worse. Ride the sickness out and then resume eating like normal.

Totally agree.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Gatorade would probably be the most important at the stage you are in. When your stomach feels up to it, everyone else has the right idea.

Chicken soup, saltine crackers, ginger ale/sprite/7up.

The main thing right now is to stay as hydrated as possible.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds

:laugh:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    (Non-diet) coke works well to ease an upset stomach (but you have to let it sit so that it's no longer carbonated)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Soup, applesauce, 7 UP or Sprite. I usually have such a sugar/salt imbalance that I basically have to load up on them again to feel right.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    toast (marmite/ honey) and a cup of tea :-)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just dealt with this on Friday! I lived on Fat Free Saltines and Ginger ale. Also had a bowl of Ramen Noodles (chicken flavor). Nothing heavy or dairy.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This sounds weird because the last thing you wanna eat when ill is dairy, but milk and yogurt line your stomach and help make you better! Also they are high in cals/protein and slide down pretty easily
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I do something along the lines of veggie broth and rice, or saltine crackers and ginger ale. I try to keep it simple until I am feeling better again. Hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're throwing up frequently then I'd recommend some form of electrolyte beverage to make sure things don't get too out of whack with the fluid losses.
  • Quarantined
    Options
    Don't eat unless you feel hungry or you may trigger the vomiting again. I find dry toast with a tiny scrapping of vegemite, plain boiled potatoes and plain boiled chicken help my stomach a lot. Also sipping lemonade makes me feel better too....though be careful with bubbly drinks cause that can set you off too.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Boiled white rice cooked with a chicken stock cube in the water. Feel better soon!

For its simplicity, that sounds so delicious. I can't believe I haven't thought to try that...