Running Shoe

Options
2»

Replies

• MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Find a local running store where you can get your gait analyzed--they will be able to recommend a few different shoes to suit your running style and foot shape.

a running store? I don't think I've ever seen a running store, could I go to a Foot Locker or something like that?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Find a local running store where you can get your gait analyzed--they will be able to recommend a few different shoes to suit your running style and foot shape.

a running store? I don't think I've ever seen a running store, could I go to a Foot Locker or something like that?

Footlocker and similar stores are not going to have staff members that know what they're doing. You need to go to a store that actually has a tredmill in the store and they will watch you run. Some stores (like the one I go to) actually video tape you and measure your gait, pronation, and if you heel strike. Check out runnersworld.com and you should be able to find a good running store near you. I have the option of around 15 different stores because the area I live in is focused on health and excersize. It depends on where you live. Avoid the 'big box stores' if you can.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'll post my experience and hopefully it won't get lost in a sea of responses. Note: I did sell shoes for a living for approximately 2 years so I have a little experience.

If you are looking for a shoe that you are going to use for running you have a lot of options. The first thing you need to stay away from are the Nikes, Reeboks, Converse (ect...) shoes that you can buy at Sears, Macy's, JCP. Yes they are cheaper but they are poor quality and well, ****ty. Now the Nike's and Reebok's have higher quality running shoes, but personally I still tend to stray away from those.

If I were to go out today and purchase a pair of new running shoes I would buy Asics in a hearbeat. New Balance actually makes some really good running shoes as well, but people think of them as an "older person" shoe.

While in Police Academy I was suffering from shin splints so bad that I couldn't walk for a couple of days. It's not that I didn't run, I just never ran as much as they made us and pushed myself that hard. I went out shopping on the weekend and purchased a pair of Asics for 130$. It was expensive but in the end it was totally worth it. My shin splints eventually went away and I've never had any running related issues since wearing them.

So if this is to long for people to read here is the short and sweet version:

ASICS, or New Balance.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Footlocker and similar stores are not going to have staff members that know what they're doing. You need to go to a store that actually has a tredmill in the store and they will watch you run. Some stores (like the one I go to) actually video tape you and measure your gait, pronation, and if you heel strike. Check out runnersworld.com and you should be able to find a good running store near you. I have the option of around 15 different stores because the area I live in is focused on health and excersize. It depends on where you live. Avoid the 'big box stores' if you can.

Awesome, thanks!