Cheddar Cheese and Broccoli Soup

Options
Another WW inspired recipe. It makes a quick, easy, and hearty soup. My husband did not believe this was low calorie!

This serves 4 and I calculate it at 219 calories.

Cheddar Cheese and Broccoli Soup

Ingredients

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 cup fat-free skim milk
7 oz 75% fat free cheddar or colby cheese (I use Cabot's 75% fat free)
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
3 cups frozen cut broccoli

Instructions

* Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.

* Pour the chicken broth in a medium sized bowl, and add the flour. Whisk until the flour is dissolved.

* Add the chicken broth mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

* Add the broccoli, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until soup thickens and broccoli is tender, about 6 - 8 minutes. Add milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.

* Slice the cheese into small pieces and add to the soup mixture, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.

NOTE: We like this soup with the bits of broccoli in it, but if you prefer you can use a stick blender and blend it smooth.

Enjoy!

Replies

• alyssamehus
    alyssamehus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!! I love broccoli cheddar soup :) Definitely making some this weekend.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    bump
    :love:
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One of my fave soups, which I have been avoiding because of the calories in the cheese. Thanks for the recipe!
  • GrammyDiane
    Options
    Thank you! This sounds wonderful. It is quite chilly and windy here today so this soup sounds even more appealing. Maybe I'll change my plans for supper tonight and make this instead.
  • sara4cos
    Options
    Try using Chicken Broth or water to brown the onions. 2Tablespoons of olive oil can up to 200 calories that are not needed.

You can also use Corn Starch instead of Flour. 1tbsp corn starch(30 calories) = 2tbsp flour (57 calories)
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Oh yum! Thanks for posting!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    buuuuuuuuump
  • basicliving
    Options
    Try using Chicken Broth or water to brown the onions. 2Tablespoons of olive oil can up to 200 calories that are not needed.

It's actually 2 teaspoons (79 calories) but that's a good tip to saute in chicken broth - that would take this to under 200 calories per serving. Thanks!
  • easfahl
    Options
    @basicliving: Do you happen to know any of the other macros? Carbs? Fat? Sodium?

I think I'm gonna add in some chicken to up the protein!
  • basicliving
    Options
    I don't know the sodium but each serving has 16 carbs, 7 fat, 23 protein. Hope that helps.
  • easfahl
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the info.
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yummm... bump!
  • tiggerzshorty
    Options
    I love soups!
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try it!
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! That DOES sound delish! I'm gonna add it to my box of yummy good meals!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm about to incorporate more soup in my diet. Does this freeze well?
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    BUMP

***LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tag line!!!
  • basicliving
    Options
    Bump... I'm about to incorporate more soup in my diet. Does this freeze well?

I'm really not sure - it only makes 4 servings and between me and my husband we usually finish it within a couple of days!