HPV Vaccine

Options
NatalieWiley
NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
All this talk about Jobs and Cancer made me think about the HPV vaccination. I was curious what people's thoughts are.

I recently read that the main cause of throat cancer is no longer tabacco but due to oral cancer and now they are wondering if the vaccine should be used for boys/men. I personally think that every girl and boy should be vaccinated. In a perfect world our sons and daughters would wait till marriage to have sex and only have one partner but we need to face reality. we live in a world where shows like Jersey Shore make it seem OK to bring people home and smush every weekend.

Anyways just curious what people's thoughts are regarding the vaccine.
Please be mature about this topic. Just because someone feels differently don't flame them.

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you're not being ignorant and being safe and using protection.. smush away. Double standards (ho v stud) be damned.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sex with only one partner does NOT sound like a perfect world, in my opinion. Sounds rather boring, actually!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    One of our physicians at the hospital I work at said that about the throat cancer thought...I think the vaccine is a great idea! People are scared of vaccines, but when you think that out of 100,000 vaccinated people, 2 people get a bad reaction vs 100,000 unvaccinated people-10 people get the disease...it is a lot better to get the vaccine

btw--I think the person is asking about vaccine thoughts, not about be 'free'
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I think the HPV jab is a responsible decision in this day and age.
  • NatalieWiley
    Options
    Sex with only one partner does NOT sound like a perfect world, in my opinion. Sounds rather boring, actually!

lol i agree!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The only irresponsible choice is to not get vaccinated against possible disease. Rely on trusted information from reputable sources. Not propaganda or nonsense.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options

i totally agree.. !!
    haha..
    and yay for vaccinations!
    i wish my mom would have had me vaccinated, could have saved me a lot of trouble "/
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can still get HPV even if you are using a condom. Also with oral sex a lot of folks do that without a condom and you can get HPV in your mouth! (hence the previous mention of oral cancer). I think the vaccine is great and boys should get it too.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I so so so wish that the vaccine had been available to me when I was younger but alas it was released when I was "too old" to make it worth while. I have heard from various sexual health practitioners that it is totally worth having boys be vaccinated for it as well because although they clearly can't get cervical cancer they can and are carriers of the virus. As you said, in a perfect world we would all find our soulmates early on, wait to be married and stay faithful to them our whole lives but that's just not the case. Therefore, to all the younger MFPers, get yourselves vaccinated, no matter what sex or sexual orientation you belong to.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The only irresponsible choice is to not get vaccinated against possible disease. Rely on trusted information from reputable sources. Not propaganda or nonsense.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options

lol i agree!

???? You agree, yet you're the one who said that it would be this way in a perfect world.....label me confused!
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    When i went to the DR about 2 years ago for an appt that Dr asked if I had the vaccine and I hadn't. He suggested that I didn't because he had seen a lot of patients that HAD gotten the vaccine back at Swedish with High grade HPV AFTER getting the shot (and they hadn't previously had it). My sis got the shot and has HPV and it was also discovered after.

I personally think that there is just something iffy about putting some sort of virus into your body. I haven't had a flu shot for YEARS and signed a waiver in college and I have been fine so far *knock on wood*.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My ex-fiance contracted it from my friend while we were together and didn't tell me. If I wouldn't have gotten the vaccine I would have been infected. It was a smart decision and my body handled the vaccine great. I didn't have any side effects.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world our sons and daughters would wait till marriage to have sex and only have one partner but we need to face reality.

Why would this be a perfect world?
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My mom is a nurse and made my brother get it when I got it. I don't see a down side but I don't think you should be forced to get something if you don't want to.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My mom has been a nurse in the ob/gyn field for over 20yrs and still works. She always says there's 100's of strands of HPV and the vaccine only guards against a few of those strands. I know with my luck, I'd be subjected to a strand it didn't protect against lol I was too old to even need to think about it when it came out though.
  • NatalieWiley
    Options

lol i agree!

???? You agree, yet you're the one who said that it would be this way in a perfect world.....label me confused!

in a perfect world that one partner would be the best ever ;-)
  • NatalieWiley
    Options
    In a perfect world our sons and daughters would wait till marriage to have sex and only have one partner but we need to face reality.

because there would be far less STD's
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options

because there would be far less STD's

in a perfect world there wouldn't be STD's
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

One at a time is rather boring even!

But seriously - my 12 year old daughter has started the vaccinations.