Increase my fiber?

Options
I just added fiber to my food settings today, after a friend asked if I was getting enough of it? This is one area that I have never kept track of. Turns out I am rarely close to my daily fiber recommendation. So my question is three fold:

1) Do I need to/ should I increase my fiber intake?

2) What are the benefits of increasing it?

3) How would you recommend an increase in fiber?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Add more vegetables and fruit to your diet. It basically cleans out your system. I try to get about 20 g in a day.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    1. Maybe
    2. Regularity, and is shown to increase nutrient absorbtion by increasing the surface area of digesting foods to the intestine. (however too much can actually inhibit micro nutrition absorbtion)
    3. Fiber rich foods of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Greens are a good example, sweet potatoes, oatmeal. Otherwise if you want to 'supplement it' use psyillium husk to do it with little impact on your macro nutrition.

I get about 40-50 g per day and still supplement it.
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Fiber is filling, so you eat less of other things or just eat less often because you're full.
  • cheri868
    Options
    Fiber keeps you feeling full longer, so you consume less calories. I love the instant flavored quaker oatmeal packets for breakfast and I try buying whole grain products with at least 4 -5 grams of fiber per serving (like What Thins multigrain crackers). And of course, fruits and veggies does the trick. Brown rice and wheat bread in place of the white varieties etc and you are on your way.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The recommended amount for women is 25-30g, which may be higher than what MFP sets. Fiber helps keep *things* moving. Fruits, veggies, flax seed, Fiber One products, legumes, etc are all fiberlicious!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Fiber keeps you regular, reduces bad cholesterol, is good for your heart, reduces chances of colon cancer, slows down the absorbtion of simple carbohydrates into your system and makes you feel full (it's bulky). There are other benefits but those are the ones that come to mind.

You can get more fiber by eating fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I have bran fiber and psyllium fiber that I buy at the local bulk store, don't bother with those metamucil etc mixes ;) it's easy to add, sprinkle bran fiber over an omelet, over a bowl of oatmeal, into my yogurt.... psyllium is just for a change of flavour / taste.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just added fiber to my food settings today, after a friend asked if I was getting enough of it? This is one area that I have never kept track of. Turns out I am rarely close to my daily fiber recommendation. So my question is three fold:

Thanks in advance!
    The official recommendation is 25 grams a day, minimum. I easily get twice that most days. If you're eating a truly healthy, balanced diet, it's not difficult to get enough fiber.

And, yes, you should get a good amount. It prevents colon cancer, among other benefits.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The link below will tell you just about everything you could wnat to know about fiber (and then some).

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fiber-full-story/index.html

Some excerpts:

Long heralded as part of a healthy diet, fiber appears to reduce the risk of developing various conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, diverticular disease, and constipation. Despite what many people may think, however, fiber probably has little, if any effect on colon cancer risk.
    High intake of dietary fiber has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease in a number of large studies that followed people for many years. (3) In a Harvard study of over 40,000 male health professionals, researchers found that a high total dietary fiber intake was linked to a 40 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease, compared to a low fiber intake. (4) Cereal fiber, which is found in grains, seemed particularly beneficial. A related Harvard study of female nurses produced quite similar findings. (5)

Fiber intake has also been linked with the metabolic syndrome, a constellation of factors that increases the chances of developing heart disease and diabetes. These factors include high blood pressure, high insulin levels, excess weight (especially around the abdomen), high levels of triglycerides, the body's main fat-carrying particle, and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. Several studies suggest that higher intake of cereal fiber and whole grains may somehow ward off this increasingly common syndrome.
    There are several important factors that may help lower your risk for type 2 diabetes, such as maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active, and not smoking. Researchers are also trying to pinpoint any relevant dietary factors, one of which seems to be a high-fiber diet. The Harvard studies of male health professionals and female nurses both found that a diet high in cereal fiber was linked to a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. Other studies, such as the Black Women's Health Study (8) and the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition–Potsdam, have found similar results
    Diverticulitis, an inflammation of the intestine, is one of the most common age-related disorders of the colon in Western society. In North America, this painful disease is estimated to occur in one-third of all those over age 45 and in two-thirds of those over age 85. Among male health professionals in a long-term follow-up study, eating dietary fiber, particularly insoluble fiber, was associated with about a 40 percent lower risk of diverticular disease
    Some tips for increasing fiber intake:

•Eat whole fruits instead of drinking fruit juices.
    •Replace white rice, bread, and pasta with brown rice and whole grain products.
    •Choose whole grain cereals for breakfast.
    •Snack on raw vegetables instead of chips, crackers, or chocolate bars.
    •Substitute legumes for meat two to three times per week in chili and soups.
    •Experiment with international dishes (such as Indian or Middle Eastern) that use whole grains and legumes as part of the main meal (as in Indian dahls) or in salads (for example, tabbouleh).

Sorry if that's TMI, but you did ask. :flowerforyou:
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Fiber is really important. I have worked hard at getting lots of fiber for several years due to the fact that I've had one sibling who had advanced stage 3 colon cancer before the age of 50, and another sibling with pre-cancerous polyps in his colon before the age of 50. High fiber intake is one of the best preventatives against Colon Cancer there is. This was confirmed by the Doctor who performed my colonoscopy which came back 'clean as a whistle'.

Increase your fiber gradually or you may have issues with gas or other forms of gastrointestinal distress - if you have insufficient 'good' bacteria in your gut, you will have a hard time with a rapid increase. A high quality probiotic supplement will help raise those levels if you do experience the issue.

Reduction of belly fat and improvement of blood-sugar regulation have both also been associated with high-fiber diets, so if either of those things are a particular problem, increasing fiber intake is a great way to go.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BE CAREFUL - do not double or triple (whatever) your fiber intake overnight. You might have tummy issues. Add a little extra every few days.

As a previous poster said - there is soluble and insoluble fiber. Some fiber is easier on your system than others.
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    Try Fiber One products. They make great treats and are beneficial. They make 90 calorie brownies! Or Skinny Cow products are good treats full of fiber too! Just watch out and don't eat to much fiber too quick it can cause some umpleasant side effects. lol. Also watch for the carb count, these are much better choices than the regular brownies, ice cream or candy but they still have some carbs and if your body doesn't process them the right way you might have to up your protien as well. I have Insulin Resistance so I have to take protien with every carb but still want my yummy fiber filled treats!

Also I will sometimes add a special k protien water mix. It's a powder that you add to 20oz of water, can find it at wal-mart where they keep slimfast and stuff. It has 30 cal., 5g fiber, 5g protien and 7g carbs. It's great for a snack if I'm hungry but don't really have the calories the protien keeps my full and it helps increase my fiber as well, and my water intake.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Try Fiber One products. They make great treats and are beneficial. They make 90 calorie brownies! Or Skinny Cow products are good treats full of fiber too! Just watch out and don't eat to much fiber too quick it can cause some umpleasant side effects. lol. Also watch for the carb count, these are much better choices than the regular brownies, ice cream or candy but they still have some carbs and if your body doesn't process them the right way you might have to up your protien as well. I have Insulin Resistance so I have to take protien with every carb but still want my yummy fiber filled treats!

Also I will sometimes add a special k protien water mix. It's a powder that you add to 20oz of water, can find it at wal-mart where they keep slimfast and stuff. It has 30 cal., 5g fiber, 5g protien and 7g carbs. It's great for a snack if I'm hungry but don't really have the calories the protien keeps my full and it helps increase my fiber as well, and my water intake.
    Or ... you could just choose fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

The chicory root in Fiber One causes ... problems ... for a lot of people.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Or ... you could just choose fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

The chicory root in Fiber One causes ... problems ... for a lot of people.

Thanks for this - Chickory Root huh ....... I know I can't eat Fiber One
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It fills you up, helps prevent cancers. Apples are great, cereals, some breads..I love apples 5 gm of fiber for 1 aplle. Weight watchers yogurt has fiber in it.. hope this helps
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Apples, blackberries, raspberries and lettuce are some of my favourite way to get fiber in. It's great!! It helps to reduce the insulin spike among the other benefits people mentioned.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    If you increase your fiber, you should consider drinking A LOT more water. Without water, the fiber does not move in your tummy and you will be in pain :(

LOTS of water!!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I've read that the recommendation is 10g of fiber per 1000 calories that you eat.

Thanks in advance!
    The official recommendation is 25 grams a day, minimum. I easily get twice that most days. If you're eating a truly healthy, balanced diet, it's not difficult to get enough fiber.

And, yes, you should get a good amount. It prevents colon cancer, among other benefits.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've read that the recommendation is 10g of fiber per 1000 calories that you eat.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you increase your fiber, you should consider drinking A LOT more water. Without water, the fiber does not move in your tummy and you will be in pain :(

LOTS of water!!

I've eaten a high fiber diet for years. It's true that you need water for digestion of fiber (and other foods), but you do not need to drink more water (liquids) than it takes to stay hydrated. If your urine is fairly clear and you aren't thirst then you are getting enough liquid to digest fiber.

If you have been eating a very low fiber diet, then it is best to add it to your diet slowly as suddenly switching to a high fiber diet can have 'unwanted results' at first as your gut adjusts to the new diet. But even that will pass (no pun intended).