C25K (running) question..

Options
shanmont
shanmont Posts: 66 Member
OK..So I am on week 5 day 2 of podRunner Intervals C25K Who else has done this and completed it before? My question (frustration) is this......Week 1 I started at 1.2 miles in 32 minutes......ended week 1 at 1.5 miles in the same amount of time. now I am at 29 minutes and only getting 1.7-1.8 miles.
Maybe I am wrong, but i am feeling like with half way done with this plan shouldn't I be getting more distance?

Also, do you find it easier and more beneficial running on a treadmill or outside. Due to timing and the fact that when I usually get time to walk/run it is 11pm or later, I use the treadmill, but thinking it is time to hit the pavement as i have signed up for a 5k in November. I get mixed opinions on this. Some say pavement is much harder, others say the treadmill is harder. One more question....might I see a difference in distance and such changing from the treadmill to the pavement.

Replies

• LilMissStrawberry
    LilMissStrawberry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't really know about the c25k thing (I started it about a year ago but gave up after 4 weeks). I have taken up running again though, but this time I do it on the treadmill which I find a lot easier. I can run 5km on the treadmill but give up after a minute on the pavement. However, I have friends which cannot run on treadmills and need to run on the pavement. It all depends on what works for you. Personally, I find the distance, time and calorie count motivating me to keep going :)
  • MrsVagus
    Options
    I am also on week 5. I was told by a trainer to not worry about speed AT ALL until you have completed the program and run/jog consistently for 30 consecutive minutes. When you can do that, then focus on speed. Good luck!
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I'm personally planning on using this in the near future so I'll be watching the responses.

As for the questions concerning the distances and times, you're right in the middle, hence, you should be about 1/2 the distance and being able to run/jog longer than you did at the beginning. Don't worry so much about the times, look at the distances you are going and how you are pushing your body. Soon you'll be running/jogging a lot and walking little to none. That itself will probably be an improvement.

Treadmill = controlled environment, boring, blech...
    Open road = holy crap did you see that squirrel that almost ran me over? You never know what you're going to see. I always found the pavement harder on my knees due to the lack of give, but I always felt better after a nice run on a cool crisp night. Sucking wind and having the sweat freeze on me. :-D
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    I'm just starting week 9 and at first I just had to make sure I ran for the time rather than worrying about distance; I can still vividly remember the lights dancing in front of my eyes and feeling like death in week 1. I reckon I'm about getting there in terms of distance now, but I wouldn't get hung up on it; from what I've seen on many other threads this seems to be the majority view. Not that it MUST be what works for all, of course.

As a matter of personal preference I would only ever run outside: anything else doesn't seem quite so "real", for want of a better word. You might see a difference if you switch, the monotony of the treadmill would be broken.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I will try to answer some, I'm on week 7:
    -I think as the run time gets longer I tend to slow down a little because I am not use to it, I have since gotten faster and covered more ground.
    -The run times jump more, next week, you will see more progress later. The early ones are still trying to get you off the couch, not quite all the way to running.
    -I have never run on a treadmill - sorry can't answer. But as far as surfaces- sidewalks are made of concrete and many roads are asphault, I don't seem to have a problem with either yet, but concrete can be harder.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Pavement or Trails - much better than the TM, but I'll take the TM if I have no other choice. I did do C25K - never finished it as I got severe shin splints & had to stop running for a while. Been back to running since July though (woohoo!). Give yourself some time & you will get the distance. Don't try to increase pace & distance at the same time too much.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've always been told asphalt is the worst surface to run on, followed by cement....

I am running/walking a 5k in a couple of weeks and I am just starting week 5 tomorrow. I mapped out a 3.1 route near my house. If I walk fast the whole time, it takes me only an extra minute or two compared to when I do my c25k runs. I think the difference is how much you slow down during the walking intervals - I walk VERY slow during these intervals because C25k is trying to kill my lungs! When I am walking, I keep the same high pace through out.

So, my theory is that you are running more of the time, but might be walking very slow which is most likely necessary, but not helping you hit your length goals!

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has any theories on this :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program last week.
    Don't worry about distance, focus on the time.

As far as where to run, I love trail running and try my best to hit the trails most of the time, sometimes I settle for the neighborhood but it is horrible with long hills. If I must, I will settle for a park track and last on my list is the treadmill.

Do what you love, I love trail running so that's what I do. (And be safe.)
  • shanmont
    shanmont Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone..I guess I should look at it like this. A few weeks ago, back at week 1 I could barely run 60 seconds straight without feeling like i was going to die!! Today I ran 2 eight minute intervals without stopping and while, yes, it is tough..I don;t feel so much like dying when I am running now. :) Let's see what week 5:3 (Saturday) brings with a 20 minute straight run....
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the responses, so I may be repeating here with my statement.

I did the c25k on both a treadmill and on the pavement and the pavement is definitely harder. you use more energy when you have to propel yourself as opposed to letting a moving belt on a treadmill do it for you, so it's definitely harder on the pavement.

I say if you're going to run a 5k, which will be outside, likely on a pavement, then I would train with the c25k on a pavement as well. If you train on a treadmill the entire time (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, please don't misunderstand) then come race day, you're likely to be a little bit slower than what you were on the treadmill and you may end up discouraged.
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    That's the big one, isn't it? The first real we're-not-playing-around-any-more run. 20 straight minutes. No rest break. The curve goes up.

It was a big psychological thing for me, just that number. And when I did it I was surprised to just feel a kind of satisfaction- more "that'll do, Pig" than Rocky style jumping about on the steps.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For me, I find it easier to run outside just because it's so mental, and outside I have all the distractions and the pleasure of fresh air etc to keep my mind off of "waah I'm tired my foot hurts I can't breath my knee hurts am I done yet how long has it been my quads hurt etc etc".

But..I have always done my treadmill running at a 1.0 incline because it's easier on my knees, so that may have helped with the transition to outdoors.

Now I am taking it back indoors to try and work on my speed.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When you run on a treadmill, you really only have to run "up." the machine does all the forward motion. On a track or outside you have to push your body forward, which makes it harder. There are also all the little things like wind, uneven ground etc that add more challanges, but also make it more interesting, as people have mentioned. It's whatever works for you, but as mentioned before, the 5k won't be on a treadmill.
  • afries0907
    afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found that running on a treadmill was much harder than running on pavement. I have a friend who is also a personal trainer and he recommended running on pavement. When I took his advice it was much easier and alot more visual stimulating than staring at my basement wall ;-)
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    They say on the website that you can do the program according to distance or time. They are assuming that you are running a 10 minute mile (6mph on the treadmill) So by the time you are running 30 consecutive minutes, you should be getting 3 miles in. I did the program and worked on 12 minute miles (5mph on the treadmill.) I have finished it and now I have started the program over running on 6.0 mph. After I complete the program again, I'm going to start running outside. Outside running is TOTALLY different than treadmill running IMO.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    The bottom line for me is my knees and back.

Most treadmills give a little.

The pavement gives nada.

As far as your times, I agree with the above person. Don't worry about time right now. Just finish the program so that you can get to running 30 minutes without walking.

THEN work on covering more distance in that 30 minutes by going faster.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I think that the treadmill can be easier on your feet and legs because if you're running outdoors, the ground isn't always level and there may be bumps, ditches, etc. However, running outdoors is a more exciting experience. I would do it, but by the time I'm able to go running, it's dark outside :( Sometimes, when it's nice, there's a paved trail I like to go to.
  • katieruns
    Options
    When I tried running first on a treadmill I licked out 2 miles no problem... when I took it to the road... not even .25 of a mile without DYING!!! The treadmill moves for you. The ground does not.

I have heard that sidewalk payment is the worst thing to run on as there is no give whatsoever. With asphalt or road running there is some cushion in there. I have heard trail running is the best though as it's a softer surface and it really works your balance and core to navigate the terrain.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I am on W5D1 today. I have been consistant about completing 2 miles or more in 30 minutes (including warm up, intervals, cool down) You need to go at the pace you are most comfortable with. I jog at a 3.5-3.8. Not fast at all. That is what my body can handle.

However, do not run on the treadmill. Continue running on pavement. The goal of this program is to get you off the couch and running a 5k. Running on the treadmill is TOTALLY different than running on pavement. The treadmill pulls you. When you run on pavement, you are working the muscles in your legs, which makes it harder.

Just remember, there are no 5k races on treadmills! :)

Good luck
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I can't answer the distance question, but I can say that outside is harder. When you run on the road, you get much more resistance than a moving belt under your feet. Make sure you up the incline on the treadmill to 1 or 2 in order to counterbalance this.

Personally the treadmill is "harder" for me in the sense that it bores me and I'm less likely to run as far than if I were out on the road. But asphalt is much more hard on your body in terms of impact, so for a newbie, I would alternate between road and asphalt so the tendons and muscles of your joints can acclimate. Do this for several months. When you can, run off road like on dirt trails because it is not as hard on your joints and will strengthen your lower leg muscles more because of the slightly uneven terrain. Just don't go to a trail where you could roll your ankle. Do some core exersizes and weight training specific to running, and see yourself improve much faster.

I am a runner and am very injury prone so I have done a lot of reading in this area. While I am not an expert, feel free to add me and I can try and answer other questions for you or point you in the direction of some really great websites.

Good luck and happy running!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!