How do I measure something I fried in oil?

Options
Hey everyone,

I made fried ravioli's and they were super healthy until I fried them in canola oil. My question is, how do I add frying them in oil to the recipe? I used about 1.5 cups of oil in the pan but most of it remained in pan when I was done. So how do I calculate this?

Please help!

Thanks

Replies

• HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already thrown it away, could you measure the remaining oil. Then subtract the remaining oil from the begining oil to figure out how much you used?
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    that is a hard one, you could measure the leftover oil i guess and subtract what you have left, but it will still be an estimate at best
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    These are good ideas to dump it back out and measure it. I do this with my salad dressing. Sometimes there is a whole tbsp or 2 in the bottom.... guess I like is well dressed :)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    bump - cause I have wondered the same thing, except about potatoes. Seems like measuring it afterwards could work though. :huh:
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about losing weight, don't fry stuff in oil...
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about losing weight, don't fry stuff in oil...

Thats not very helpful. Sometimes its nice to enjoy something fried and remember its everything in moderation otherwise you fall off, ya gotta start somewhere!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    To be honest OP, whenever I use olive oil when cooking something in a skillet and there's still some left, I still count what I used in the beginning. I know that doesn't help people who have a limited calorie intake, but I rather overestimate than underestimate...
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Is it awful that I don't count it? I'm steadily losing weight and on nights where we fry something (which we do about once a month because I completely agree that you should not deprive yourself! I am serious, but recognize you need to feed cravings once in a while!) I let myself indulge and count the food, but don't count the oil. I use a good olive oil, or peanut oil. I drink extra water that day to help flush the system of the sodium from frying foods.

We usually have lumpia or chicken that I fry up, and I would go the method others have suggested: measure before and after. Count the difference!

Oh, and good job for you for trying to count it!
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Btw, I am serious about losing weight! I NEVER fry stuff in oil, thats why I don't know how to measure it! I was experimenting with a holiday recipe for my food blog.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    That's a good question..........and I have no answer, lol.