800-1100 dinner?

Options
I have a lot of calories left over today and only dinner to go. What in the world am I supposed to eat that has that many calories AND is still somewhat healthy?

I know a fast easy way to get that many, but it involves pizza or fast food... 99% of my food at home is super healthy and I have no idea how I could eat that many calories worth in one evening.

I want (need?) to exercise to build strength and endurance - so it's not like I can just stop working out, and I'm not even working out that hard... but I find myself in this position frequently on workout days. Once a month I "fix" the problem the fun way (fast food) and other times I end up not eating at least half of my exercise calories, which can put me in a stall.

What do you do?

Replies

• silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have a carnation instant breakfast packet mixed with 1.5 cups of milk. Healthy calories =)
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You could try adding some of these things in:

coconut oil
    avocado
    nuts
    nut butter

Healthy fats, higher in cals.

I will also use a protein powder/shake from time to time and bars-I like Clif Bars, Kind Bars, Lara Bars and Bora Bora bars.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big yummy protein shake with chocolate almond milk and chocolate protein.
    I also snack on nuts or fage 0% greek yogurt...
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Dessert?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would start logging exercise ahead of time so you can spread those calories out throughout the day and not be "stuck" with them.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish or meats. Nuts. Oils. Creamy sauces. Fried anything.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a protein shake to go with your strength training? A good shake with 1/2 cup milk will run you about 300 calories and is great for working out and rebuilding your muscles...also you can try some higher calorie snacks that are healthy like almonds, avacado..and for me, when I do a great workout that day is when I go for the higher carbs like pasta or rice as I have enough calories to allow for it...Also, you do not have to eat all of your excercise calories..for two reasons - the calories burned is usually an estimate from MFP itself or a machine..so I always leave some unused and two if you are eating healthy and are really not hungry and are hitting minimum 1200 net calories...don't worry about it...there will be days maybe when you are very hungry and can over slightly....
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    A peanut butter sandwich with a glass of milk makes a tasty snack and will take up 300 to 500 of those calories (depending on your bread and how much PB you use).

A cup of regular (not non-fat) yogurt

A tasty fruit smoothie (with protein powder added if you want or need more protein for the day)

A couple of handfuls of dried fruits and nuts (1 ounce of almonds is about 180 calories, that's only about 22 almonds)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    calorically dense foods
    nuts
    nut butters
    avocadoes
    full fat diary
    pasta
    etc

if you can't eat that much in 1 meal have a dessert after with ice cream or something like that
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods that you normally would for dinner- don't worry about hitting that number exactly every day, especially if you're under! Eat until you're satisfied and if you're hungry after a reasonable amount of time, have a healthy snack or dessert (maybe even a healthy dessert!). Sounds like you're doing great- keep it up :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Not that it will help today, but you could try eating more at breakfast. Also add in a few snacks throughout the day, a piece of fruit and cheese or a handful of nuts. As far as today, I like the peanut butter idea, but you could also do that as a snack before or after supper just to get in a few more calories. Clif bars are great, as are protein shakes, for getting quality calories when you're working out.

Good luck! Pre-planning takes some getting used to, but you'll get there!!!!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods that you normally would for dinner-... Eat until you're satisfied and if you're hungry after a reasonable amount of time, have a healthy snack or dessert (maybe even a healthy dessert!). Sounds like you're doing great- keep it up :)

^^^ THIS! I usually eat a big healthy dinner on those days, and then (like this person says) have some healthy snacks if I'm still hungry. Apples w/peanut butter, a healthy cereal with milk, nuts and something. Quinoa is also super good for you, and has lots of dense / high fiber calories.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    No dinner i have is ever less than 820 cal! Throw in a dessert, I'm looking at 1k.

Which is why i never have breakfast! I'd rather have the bigger dinner! :D
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have 1170 left over too, but am looking foward to adding in an avocado to dinner. Yum Yum! Something else I have noticed is when I have this much left over, I will eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich right before bedtime.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Fantastic ideas, thanks everyone... blows my mind how many great responses any question I ask gets and how quick I get them too! MFPers are the BEST talk about great support, second to none.
  • VictoriousNicole
    VictoriousNicole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy dinner, but why not splurge a little. Maybe seconds or dessert?
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Nuts
    Avacados
    Oils when cooking

I tend to enjoy a nut butter and some yogurt in conjunction with my dinner on nights that I have calories left over.