Any marathon runners?

Options
Ok so I'm going to start training for my first full marathon, May 31st. I was just wondering what kind of training program you guys have used. I found a nike one which has one day of rest and another one and which has 2 days of rest, if you could please let me know what you think would be better that would be great! Thanks!

~Leash

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm going to start training for my first full marathon, May 31st. I was just wondering what kind of training program you guys have used. I found a nike one which has one day of rest and another one and which has 2 days of rest, if you could please let me know what you think would be better that would be great! Thanks!

~Leash
  • schell
    schell Posts: 9
    Options
    I would recommend the one with 2 days of rest, making sure that you have one long run each week. I always did the 12 week prep schedule that maxed out at 20 miles then scaled back as you approach the run date.

If you don't like the idea of taking 2 days off, you always could supplement with other exercises that aren't as hard on your body- swimmng, biking, etc.
    Good Luck!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I am training for a Half marathon on Feb. 15. I started training with a Galloway group they walk a minute and run a minute. I had never run before starting this program. The group is great. They are doing 7 miles in the morning, too bad I have to work tomorrow. I will get my miles in later in the day. We do 14 miles next weekend. As for training our long runs are on Saturdays and then we train and cross train the other days of the week with Friday being a rest day. I may not be very fast but I am out there running which is something I have never done before. :smile:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I am going to sign up for one thats on May 31st, training starts tomorrow, I can't wait! I will actually be running less now than I did before, but long runs on Sundays! Yay!

~Leash