Your Opinion

Thanks for your help in advance. I work at a office job and sit most of the day. My doctor recommended that I start working out. There are millions of different applications of his request. Do I do weights? Do I run/walk? I am clueless where to start. Any advise would be a great help.

Replies

• check out couch to 5k its a great begining point. Thats where I started
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Just start with what makes the most sense to you and start adding to it.

I started with C25K and then added some weights and really it just took off from there when I started to see the results!

Good luck in whatever you do and just remember to stick with it :-)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Hi there,

Firstly, have you ever done anything physical that you've enjoyed? How about doing that - join a sports team, swim, bike, dance, roller skate, whatever.

Also, you can't go wrong with a bit of walking - even 15 min to start with then maybe build up speed/ distance/ hills etc.

Personally, I can't stand running and I don't like gyms. I like group fitness classes (especially dance-y ones) and I *love* yoga. I like swimming but it's a bit of a bother getting changed, showering etc. and swimming laps is too boring to motivate me. I have enjoyed aqua-aerobics in the past.

And, is there anyone you know who could do whatever it is with you? It helps a lot to have a workout buddy.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Thanks for your help in advance. I work at a office job and sit most of the day. My doctor recommended that I start working out. There are millions of different applications of his request. Do I do weights? Do I run/walk? I am clueless where to start. Any advise would be a great help.
    Just upping your activity alone is a start. Use the stairs at work instead of the elevator. Park in the furthest spot from your building. Take walks around your neighborhood park. Do gardening or yard work. There's so much you can do just to up activity.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    30 minutes of moderate activity 5 times a week plus 2 days of weight bearing exercises or strength training!

Walking at a brisk pace counts!

But running is better and you will get more out of it in your 30 mins! Plus if you did it 5 days a week it can contribute to your strength training... squeeze in situps and pressups where you can throughout the day. I do a few in the morning when i get up, some at lunch and some in the evening most days... takes about 2 minutes each set! 6 mins of your day! Not much! :) Plus it's using no equipmet, no gym memberships and all your own weight.. start on your knees lower legs crossed back straight if you can't do one proper pressup/pushup just yet. when you can do one, DO THAT! Then next time, push for two. go on to your knees when you can't do any more! :)
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Walking is great. Strength training could work really well, but I'd suggest working with a trainer (at least briefly) before you go down that road. You don't want to hurt yourself, and it's fairly easy to do with weights :)