Breakfast foods to eat?

Options
ryiko
ryiko Posts: 76
Any good breakfast foods to eat? My schedule is sooo different..I get up at like 12pm or later b/c my schedule is diff. b/c m bf works late..but should I skip breakfast b/c I get up later or not? what should I eat thats low in cals for breakfast if so? i wanna eat a big meal thats filling..sometimes i eat french toast but im pretty sure its fattening..considerin its cinammon french toast and 320 cals for only 5 sticks! i sometimes eat buttermilk pancakes and egg beaters..but what else thats filling and good! how can i fit breakfast into my meal plan!!!:cry:

Replies

• ryiko
    Options
    Any good breakfast foods to eat? My schedule is sooo different..I get up at like 12pm or later b/c my schedule is diff. b/c m bf works late..but should I skip breakfast b/c I get up later or not? what should I eat thats low in cals for breakfast if so? i wanna eat a big meal thats filling..sometimes i eat french toast but im pretty sure its fattening..considerin its cinammon french toast and 320 cals for only 5 sticks! i sometimes eat buttermilk pancakes and egg beaters..but what else thats filling and good! how can i fit breakfast into my meal plan!!!:cry:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I eat fortified wheat puffs or rice puffs... It's $1 a bag. And some soy milk(or whatever) and some honey.:ohwell: :flowerforyou: :tongue: yummmm
  • ndarling
    Options
    Don't skip breakfast. You want to try to have some protein in your breakfast. So if your in a hurry a whole grain cereal with skim milk and fresh or frozen blueberries is quick and easy. I also like to cook a "batch" of turkey sausages and keep them in the fridge. Then use eggs whites and add frozen brocoli and or spinach and the turkey sausage. Scramble it all with some spices and add some (about 1 ounce) cheese and whole wheat toast. Yummy and filling! Good luck. oxox
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm an "on the run" eater in the a.m. so I always grab a South Beach Diet breakfast bar - very satisfying, certainly sticks around until snack time for me...
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello! I live up here in the cold north, (-21 right now) and I love oatmeal for breakfast. I want something hot when I get up. But I was raised that oatmeal is made by making it with whole milk, adding lots and lots of butter and sugar, then making a crust of brown sugar across the top! It was FANTASTIC! I thought I would never like oatmeal any other way and I do not like the little instant packs becase they raise my blood sugar too much. So anyway below is the way I make it after trying several different things and I thought I would share since its really good. And I no longer add tons of sweet and low! No sugar substitue needed.

1/3 c REAL oatmeal - Quacker or Thick and Rough from Silver Palate
    1/3 c skim milk -I don't like oatmeal made with water
    2/3 cup water
    cook on top of stove or in microwave
    Then pour one container of low fat yogurt on the top. I like Cub Foods brand because you get 8 oz. instead of the usual 4oz.

The hot oatmeal with the cold sweet yogurt-very, very pleasing! And oatmeal is back! Kinda of silly but I just thought I would share. Teri

Breakdown:
    Calories - 313
    Carbs - 48
    Fat - 0

And its a lot. The oatmeal with the yogurt fills the bowl. And for all you diabetics, this does not raise my blood sugar. Or at least its in the correct numbers 2 hours after eating.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
    Edited by teridene on Fri 01/16/09 08:58 AM
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I almost always do oatmeal or a high protein cold cereal with milk. If I'm in a HUGE hurry I will make a PB sandwich hehe. I never do just a carbohydrate because I'm hungry a half hour later.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like healthy cereals - no prep time at all. Sometimes I pour a bowl of grapenuts, and then add flax meal, pre-chopped walnuts, and raisins (or dried cranberries). Yum. The flax is great for lowering cholesterol, and the fruit makes it nice and sweet.

Other times I pre-chop the night before... 1/4 cup each of crimini mushrooms, roma tomatos, and 1/4 combined of onion and red bellpepper. Then I throw it in a tsp of safflower oil for about 5-6 minutes in a skillet, then pour 1/4 cup of the egg beaters over the whole mess with salt, pepper and italian seasoning. It makes a big, filling pile of food, and that with my coffee/creamer never goes over 300 cals.

Malt-o-meal is also good with the flax meal.

Boiled egg and a cup of yogurt.

(if you can't tell, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day) ...bon appetit!

oh PS - a half a english muffin, toasted then slather with PB.
  • npieratt
    Options
    I am an on the go eater 90% of the time, so I will usually have one of the following. A boiled egg and a dry piece of whole wheat toast. A piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit, or a yogurt and a whole wheat frozen waffle (excellent cheat to make you feel like you are eating bad).

If I make breakfast I will fry an egg in pam and have that with whole wheat toast, very yummy.
  • ryiko
    Options
    guess what guys i just bought quaker oat meal, yogurt, honey, and of course cereal! so im going to try what you said yogurt/honey on it...but i bought the instant ones sowwy :[..but i also bought pancakes..so im def. putting breakfast FIRST! so go me! :D what did you guys do, any grocery shopping accomplishments to motivate you?
  • tvon27
    tvon27 Posts: 9
    Options
    You could try the following : oatmeal instant or regular and sweetened it with splenda or cinammon, turkey bacon., egg beaters omelets with lots of vegetable. and a meat that is high in protien but low in fat. Also Kashi, has cereal that is low in fat and high and fiber, fat-free or skim milk. If you like toast franz has bread that is about 40 calories for 2 slices, and sugar free jam.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Then pour one container of low fat yogurt on the top. I like Cub Foods brand because you get 8 oz. instead of the usual 4oz.

The hot oatmeal with the cold sweet yogurt-very, very pleasing! And oatmeal is back! Kinda of silly but I just thought I would share. Teri

I never thought of putting yogurt on oatmeal. Interesting? I'll have to try that!

120097.png

I also love putting PB in my oatmeal sooooooooo good!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    On the 15th I posted a ton of breakfast ideas I found from another website, check it out. Its underFood & Nutrition, the title is Breakfast Ideas. There were a ton of them with the calorie amounts. Hope it helps.