Polar FT1 or FT2?

Options
I am going to get myself a HR Monitor. I cannot afford Garmin Forerunners unfortunately, but want one to more accurately calculate my calories burned (i will do this based on avg. HR, and then calculate after), and better improve my fitness, by targeting my ideal heart rates etc.

I want to use it in the pool and open water swimming as im wanting to train for Triathlons soon too.

I have read that they are 'Water Resistant to 30Metres'; is this rain proof? or swimming proof?
And is it actually worth spending £10 on the FT2 rather than FT1? just for the Target zones, or can i just remember it in my head and save a tenner? and how much of a difference is the leap to FT1 to FT4? Is it really worth the money? (money is tight, but HRM is required now i think)

thanks for your input, and any info is greatly appreciated

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I just purhcased my Plar HRM a few weeks ago. From what I found out, the FT1 and FT2 don't tell you the actual calories burned. That's why I didn't get one... the FT4 and FT7 would work though...

I went with the FT7, and absolutely love it so far! ;)

Best of luck with your decision!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Also - I think you can use it in the pool. I just says to wash it off thoroughly after use in chlorine.
    However, deep diving probably isn't advised if it's more than 30 meters.
    Should be good for traithlete training though! ;)
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and love it. I swim with mine. I imagine it's the same chest strap, so you're probably OK to swim with either the FT1 or FT2. I'm with the PP though, I got one that will calculate calories burned for me.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 as well and love it! :)
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You people are not helping LOL only kidding,:) I don't have that kind of money to get the FT7, wish I had, and I'd be straight out to snap one up. I only really need it for avg HR and current HR so I can target 70%. And use a calculator to sort out cals burned that's not a problem.

Well ill see if I can find abit extra for FT7 when it comes to pay day. At least they are all water resistant though! Bonus! :D cheers everyone