What happens if you eat too much protein sometimes?

Options
Just curious if you go over your protien how detrimental it could be to your weight loss plan? Should I just work out more on those days to make up the need for protein? Is it a really big deal? I wont even be eating back my calories from working out but it will show me too high in protein tomorrow. Anyone have any knowledge on the subject? I try to plan ahead for the following day - well....am trying to start. But with a protein bar for breakfast and a chicken breast for lunch it says I will be over on my protien intake.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    protein is good right ?? so i dont think it is going to derail you..the more the better..LoL..good luck
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Nothing -- you WANT to. MPF defaul has protein too low anyway...

I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat ..
    A lot of people do 40% protein, 30/30 carb/fat
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    its fine , dont worry about it your body needs protien , its one of the things you can go over and be fine lol
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I too would love to know! i am over quite alot every single day in protien, but never anything else!!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    MFP has protein set as a low percentage of your daily calories. I believe it's 15%. I personally aim for 100-150 grams of protein a day...way over what they recommend! Try adjusting your percentages to 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein. It will make a difference!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You should try to figure out your lean body mass, and eat .7 -1g per pound of lean body mass. Mine is around 135, so I try to eat 90-135g protein daily.
    Protein is delicious. I feel like I could run The Boston Marathon when I eat a really great steak!
  • mvasallo
    Options
    I definitely think the protein intake is too low on the default. With my body type I need more protein to maintain muscle mass. My suggestion to you would be to do 2 weeks of eating the protein you would normally eat and then 2 weeks only eating the alloted amount and see if it affects your weight loss. Sometimes eating too little of it can actually cause you not to lose weight. :D good luck!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Really? If you eat a protein bar and a piece of chicken, then you will be over on Protein? What is your protein goal?

I'm not an expert and I like to do my research on everything, so don't believe me over another person, but I think Protein is good. I thought protein makes your body work harder to break it down and stays with you longer so you feel "fuller" longer. I've noticed that the scale doesn't move positively, but I have noticed more muscle growth in my whole body. From a combination of heavy workouts with good amounts of protein. I can workout longer and run farther than before. Recovery is much better. I think it's because of my protein intake and my workout routines.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The default settings assume the USRDA values. The protein levels are woefully undervalued for active people exercising regularly (my opinion share by many). Your body makes use of the protein for recovery purposes (woefully simplified explanation, but makes the point). Your going over those would not be a problem. Going over the default carb settings on the other hand on a regular basis, may be another story, if it is substantially made up of starchy carbs and you lean toward blood sugar issues.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I've been told that your body will get rid of any protein that isn't used. So if you have too much, then it should come out. When I increased my protein intake.. I would pee a lot and often.
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    Agreed - the protein setting on here is too low. I am always way over, and but still under 1g per pound.
    The only thing I find is whey protein makes me feel bloated - its kind of annoying.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    you'll probably grow an extra arm or something, but apart from that you should be fine. it might even come in handy for those fiddly jobs!

i think as a general rule, the guides are a guide, not a bible. if you are roughly within the caloires, it won't make any difference.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there was such a thing. I'm 40% protein, 40% carb, and 20% Fat. This give me a goal of 140 per day, I weigh 125. Oh, my goal is to build muscle.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    As a general rule it's recommended that the average person have between .8 - 1.2 g per lb of LBM in order to preserve lean body mass. 54 g is definitely not too much. The only known bad side effect is kidney disease and that was in subjects that were taking in something like 300 g per day which is pretty hard for the average person.

As a matter of fact, increasing your protein intake will probably increase your satiety from your diet so you won't have random cravings & help to regulate your blood sugar level.
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks wasnt sure - and its just the default settings on the protein. I will go in and fix it. Thanks for the helpful comments.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom

Change your percentages.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been told that your body will get rid of any protein that isn't used. So if you have too much, then it should come out. When I increased my protein intake.. I would pee a lot and often.

You don't pee protien unless you are in renal failure- if you pee and it looks soapy, you might want to see a Dr.
    You excrete it...
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    Can't really "over due" the protein. The protein helps to rebuild and "heal" the muscles that you are breaking down when you work out. That means in return, you build lean muscle...the protein is the helper, so that your body repairs.
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Okay the default was at 15% - That seems pretty low then :-) As always - you guys are helpful. Thanks so much!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some preexisting kidney condition, lots of protein isn't going to hurt you. And if you want to build muscle, you NEED it. I'm eating right around 200g of protein a day, lifting weights & running & if I didn't eat this much protein I'd be sluggish - I know, because that has happened when I've slacked off on it. Not to mention it controls the appetite...ever notice how even on a full stomach you can find something carby (like chips) & eat unlimited amounts of it? Never happens with protein...you get full first.

Now go order some chicken.