What's your goal weight?

Options
After reading the following article I was curious in knowing are most people choosing their goal weight because it will put them in a healthy BMI range or is it a number that you think will make you look good!

I was lost in this misconception I was wanting a number that i remember i use to look good at but later I realized that it was in my BMI range which worked out great but now I am working towards being healthy and if I end up looking good in the process that's great as well!!!

So, why are you doing this to look good or be healthy?

Here is the article that made me want to post this topic please read it and leave your opinion:

Posted: October 5, 2011 by thecookiemonster in beauty, Body Fat, Body Image, Food and Fitness Rants, funny stuff, Rambling, rants, Weight Gain

While browsing Facebook this morning, I came across a post that made me partially angry, and partially sad. It was a story of the fat vs. thin debate that has been going on for years.

I am all about confidence, loving your body, keeping a good body image, staying positive, and being comfortable in your own skin. I am also a HUGE advocate of health and well-being.

What I am not a supporter of, is the war going on between overweight people and thin people. Overweight people hate being made fun of by thin people just as much as thin people hate getting berated by the overweight people. There is a difference between having confidence, and making attacks on the other body shape to try and “1 up” yourself when there is no room for you to be critical.

Here was the story, and I will include my thoughts and break-down below.

A while back, at the entrance of a gym, there was a picture of a very thin and beautiful woman. The caption was “This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?”

The story goes, a woman (of clothing size unknown) answered the following way:

“Dear people, whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, seals, curious humans), they are sexually active and raise their children with great tenderness.
They entertain like crazy with dolphins and eat lots of prawns. They swim all day and travel to fantastic places like Patagonia, the Barents Sea or the coral reefs of Polynesia.
They sing incredibly well and sometimes even are on cds. They are impressive and dearly loved animals, which everyone defend and admires.

Mermaids do not exist.

But if they existed, they would line up to see a psychologist because of a problem of split personality: woman or fish?
They would have no sex life and could not bear children.
Yes, they would be lovely, but lonely and sad.
And, who wants a girl that smells like fish by his side?

Without a doubt, I’d rather be a whale.

At a time when the media tells us that only thin is beautiful, I prefer to eat ice cream with my kids, to have dinner with my husband, to eat and drink and have fun with my friends.

We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn’t enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.
Every time I see my curves in the mirror, I tell myself: “How amazing am I?! “

This story is not inspiring. It is not a motivator. In fact, I think it does more harm than good. And at some points it’s so ridiculous I can’t help but laugh.

First of all, the gym poster was terrible. Likening someone to a whale and then another thinner woman as a mermaid is not as much motivation as you would think it is. If anything, it can provoke body image disorders, discouragement, and depression. I’m also sure there would be plenty of fat mermaids if they existed, in the same way that there would be thin ones.

Yes, whales are beautiful and majestic creatures. But I’m sure they’re also a healthy weight for their bone structure, and height. A lot of women would be a perfectly healthy weight if they were 12 inches taller.

You can enjoy ice cream with your kids without going for seconds and thirds.

When the woman spoke of the mermaid having “split personality disorder” it had nothing to do with her point that she made later in the story. It may have been a clever thought, but still had no relevance.

As for no sex life, how would mermaids reproduce (if they existed) if they somehow had no sex life and couldn’t have children? Strong logic. I wouldn’t say that it’s safe to assume that a mermaid would be lonely and sad, just like I don’t think it’s safe to assume that all whales feel happy, loved, and carefree.

And whales sing incredibly well? Really? Have you ever HEARD a whale “sing”? The only thing a whale can trump is Justin Bieber. Or maybe me. I kind of sound like a whale when I try to hit the high notes.

Also, if mermaids smell like fish, a whale smells worse…TRUST ME.

So go ahead and eat ice cream with your kids. Have dinner with your husband, and enjoy drinks and great food with your family and friends! Did you know you could do ALL of that while still being fit and healthy? Shocking, isn’t it?

You just have to stop being lazy and making excuses for being overweight at the same time.

I’m against the media portraying an unrealistic view on how a woman should look. Fashion models are dangerously thin most of the time, and are not a good example of what is a healthy weight for a woman. But just because someone is fit and thin, does not mean that they don’t enjoy their life just as much as you do.

Does it feel good when you have difficulty walking several flights of stairs without becoming breathless and have to take the elevator?

Does the ice cream taste as good to you after taking a visit to the doctor to hear that there is fat accumulated around your vital organs?

Does the joint pain and sluggishness ever get to you?

Healthy curves are one thing. Fat rolls are quite another. I love curves on a woman, and I think it makes them look very feminine and beautiful. But by the time your stomach is hanging over your pants, it’s time to start being a little less fat and happy and get serious about your health.

Example of what "fit curves" look like. Healthy, and not in excess.

And in the same respect, if you are a THIN woman and are not menstruating, or are experiencing health problems, your issue is just as bad as the overweight person’s. You need to get yourself to a healthy weight where you are operating normally and doing well.

I don’t like the fact that overweight women are harshly criticized and judged, but I also don’t like how overweight women put down the efforts of those who try to stay fit, healthy, and in shape. They disregard the hard work because they don’t have the willpower to do it themselves. Being fit is not about “genetics” and getting to “eat whatever you want”. It’s because those who are fit work their *kitten* off so that they can enjoy their life while staying in excellent shape.

I have to re-quote this part, mainly because it made me laugh the most:

We women, we gain weight because we accumulate so much wisdom and knowledge that there isn’t enough space in our heads, and it spreads all over our bodies.
We are not fat, we are greatly cultivated.

Not only does that make no ****ing sense whatsoever, it’s the most outlandish and ridiculous excuse I have ever heard for weight gain. EVER.

My excuse for weight gain this past year? I ate. A lot. That’s about it.

So ladies, lets make this about being fit and healthy. Thin isn’t beautiful. Fat isn’t beautiful. HEALTH is beautiful. Rather than making excuses, redirect your focus and realize that you can be fit and healthy as well as enjoying your life just as much, if not more than when you were overweight. You just have to put in the work.

Replies

• JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read all that, but my goal weight is 190 lbs. I'm a 6 ft guy so that puts me right at the top of the healthy range according to BMI. Honestly though, the BMI is nothing but a tool of comparison. For example, most professional athletes are "overweight" because of their muscle. BMI just lumps everyone together and labels us. Don't use for anything more than a reference.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Very well said.

Several of my friends posted that "whale/mermaid poster" story on FB last night and it seemed to set off a whole hatefest between thin/not thin people...several people posted pictures of this voluptous French model to go with the story, to prove their point that not all models have to be skinny...anyway, I like your take on it. As I've lost weight and become "average" I find myself looking more at my fitness and focusing on being healthy, than when I was heavier and just wanted to be my old thin self again.

Here's to our health!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kmboffice88
    Options
    My BMI is already at a healthy level (21.9) and if I lose the 10 lbs I want to it will still be healthy (20.4). When I started dieting it was at a healthy level then too (22.9). I guess you could say because of that, I am doing it to look better in the end. However, I know that watching what I eat is going to benefit me in being MORE healthy. I didn't over eat often, but the things I was eating were not healthy (skimping on dinner for cheese fries and ice cream later? NO GOOD!). I am glad I am reaping all the benefits from this process and learning how to eat and prepare healthy delicious versions of what I love. Can't wait to make a healthy pumpkin bread this weekend! :)
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Very well said.

Several of my friends posted that "whale/mermaid poster" story on FB last night and it seemed to set off a whole hatefest between thin/not thin people...several people posted pictures of this voluptous French model to go with the story, to prove their point that not all models have to be skinny...anyway, I like your take on it. As I've lost weight and become "average" I find myself looking more at my fitness and focusing on being healthy, than when I was heavier and just wanted to be my old thin self again.

Here's to our health!
    :flowerforyou:

Good for you great job losing and now wanting to be healthy as well!!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I do have a goal weight and it is within my BMI range so i think it is a good goal. I love you sharing this story as I found it makes a lot more sense that most would think. I personally don't think anyone heavy or thin should be called names, put down, judged (only God judges us) or anything else. The only thing I find irritating about some thin people are when someone weighs 120, looks marvelous, is the right weight, shape etc for their height, body frame etc BUT then they say something like "Oh I am so fat....I have to lose weight!!!" Come on....what weight????

Thanks again for sharing and it sure made me stop and think about me and others as well.

Hugs
    Bev
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Options
    My BMI is already at a healthy level (21.9) and if I lose the 10 lbs I want to it will still be healthy (20.4). When I started dieting it was at a healthy level then too (22.9). I guess you could say because of that, I am doing it to look better in the end. However, I know that watching what I eat is going to benefit me in being MORE healthy. I didn't over eat often, but the things I was eating were not healthy (skimping on dinner for cheese fries and ice cream later? NO GOOD!). I am glad I am reaping all the benefits from this process and learning how to eat and prepare healthy delicious versions of what I love. Can't wait to make a healthy pumpkin bread this weekend! :)

Great job changing your eating habits to a more healthy choice!!
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    very well said. I had the same types of thoughts after reading an article called "everyone can be an astrophysicist"

http://www.axisoffat.com/2011/02/everyone-can-be-an-astrophysicist.html

I think that it is important to be mindful of your health (weight included) no matter what size you are. Even people who are at their goal weight need to live a lifestyle that will help them maintain that weight- and maintenance takes effort!

To answer your question, I'm currently at a "normal" weight, but I chose to become an active MFP user in order to keep myself in check. (I felt myself creeping closer and closer to being overweight and I needed to nip that in the bud!) My goal weight is 12 pounds away, and I chose that number because I know I have a few extra fat rolls on my body and losing those last 10 pounds or so will hopefully make fitting into my clothes more enjoyable.
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
  • beth535
    beth535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is there a problem with losing weight to be healthy AND look good? This is my first post on these boards. I wanted to read about motivation and support. Since this topic was listed as most recent, it got opened.

I can't tell for sure, but I'm assuming the original author is male. My take is that the author needs to improve his sense of humor. When I first saw the whole whale/mermaid story, months ago I think, I thought it was pretty hysterical. It smacked of that "I'll show you!" attitude. I was somewhat envious that anyone could feel proud and actually like themselves just as they are, even if they are overweight, obese, fat, or whatever word you want to use.

I've successfully been in one 12-step recovery program for a long time. Nearly 8 months ago I finally quit smoking, thanks to the support of Nicotine Anonymous. They have a slogan: the weight can wait. I was already 60+ pounds overweight when I quit. The first 10 days, while using nicotine replacement, I actually lost nearly 10 pounds. Since then I've gained 30.

I joined myfitnesspal because I knew I needed some way to make myself accountable, and the tracker on my mobile phone seemed like the perfect ticket for someone who loves technology. My home page keeps saying I'll lose 3x more if I do this with a friend. So, here I am, looking for friends to help.

My Nic-A "sponsor" is trying to help me be kinder and gentler to myself, less critical, and more loving. Do you know how hard that is when all of your life you've been told how bad it is to be overweight, yet you couldn't maintain any kind of weight loss for any length of time??

I'm going to set mini-goals, 10 pounds at a time. Maybe once I have some success at this, I'll have the courage to set a 20 pound goal. This time around I'm doing this simply because it's time to treat my body with love and respect.

Why didn't I just go to Overeaters Anonymous, if the 12-step programs work so well for me? It's challenging enough to do the initial, intensive introspection and healing work required in one 12-step program. Besides, I've done OA before and that just wasn't for me. But I know I can't do this alone because support IS proven to work.

Thanks for letting me go on a bit. I'll try to keep my posts shorter! :)
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Options
    Great responses everyone learning to love ourselves and being healthy is no walk in the park but your body will thank you and the reward of a longer life is so wonderful!!!

beth535 wishing you well on your journey and great job on your 12 step program and I think you will find a lot of great support here on MFP to help you with your weightloss goals!!! Love your idea of setting mini goals I hope that works out great!!!
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You worded that far more eloquently that I would have. Thank you for seeing the same thing I did upon reading that post on my friend(s) facebook pages.

Cheers!
  • chaos_maiden
    Options
    My goal weight is 125, which is right smack in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height (since I'm only 5'2", i have a very small target window for that, the range is 116-136). I started on MFP at 155 and I'm now down to 149. My target weight has very little to do with how I look, other than the fact I'd like to lose the beer belly I've acquired.
    On the whale or mermaid argument.... I want to be a dolphin! They are healthy, energetic, and strong, that's what I want to be.
  • tracy9301
    tracy9301 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is a healthy 110. I am 5'1". I will be 44 in February. I want to be able to run, jump ad play with my kids. I want to see them graduate college, have children and be a great grandmother. I am scared to find out what my BMI range is.
  • bnigh001
    Options
    5'1 currently 238.5--ready to slim up around in the 115-120 range. both healthy and a much better look for a person my height. (:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is now around 70kg (a few kg under would be nice though not essential) and I'm very nearly there - hooray!
    It has changed a few times since I started this process in January. Initially I wrote down 72kg (which meant losing 20kg but I didn't think that would be possible, really I wanted to get to 82, or better still anything under 80kg.
    Once I lost 10kg I realised that maybe, just maybe I could actually lose more so set it to the top of healthy BMI range for my height - 67kg.
    As I got into the lower 70s I realised that I was getting close to a healthy size. My "big fat audacious goal" was to wear size 12 pants. Now they are getting too big and I've just bought some size 10s (US size 6) and that really is small enough for me.

Although I'm still technically overweight (according to BMI), I am smaller and healthier than I can remember as an adult - maybe when I was 20 but I don't recall ever fitting into size 10 pants. I think because I'm running so much I am leaner and more toned (still lots of work to do but I'm getting there) which means I'm smaller overall.

So, my goal is a pretty rubbery number, but the real goal is to stay around this point - Aussie size 10 - 12 - for the rest of my life.
    Now that really is a big goal with no end point - and that's seriously scary!!
  • Navmachine
    Options
    i remember some of my friends being upset with that facebook thing, because they are naturally skinny, and have just as much body issues as overweight people do. some of us cant help our body type wether it's 102 lbs, or 201 lbs...

i find it the idea that thin women arent happy and lead boring lives, to be rather offensive. just because i dont stuff my face with cake doesnt mean that i dont love the company of my friends and family at meal time, or that i'm not a well cultured individual. none of those points the person made really have any strings attached to a person's weight. it's all a frame of mind...some people's frames are just bigger/smaller than others. :lol:

anyway, my goal weight is between 120-125. i'm a huge nerd, and my favorite comic book character is Black Canary from DC comics. her stats are around my height and 124 lbs. (though shes alot more muscle than i could hope to have). she's been my "thinspiration" for several years. i hope to be a tough looking hot blonde like her. :)
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such great post. Here Here to us all living long healthy lives!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    well the bmi chart says i should be 140lbs to be in the healthy weight range but i want to be 170-190lbs
  • ediths6
    ediths6 Posts: 72
    Options
    5'4 110