edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
*Shop Smart
*The first step toward healthy eating is stocking up on fresh, delicious
foods. But if you tend to spend more time in the packaged-foods aisles than
the produce aisle at the grocery store, your food-shopping routine may be
ready for an overhaul. Here are some tips that will help you shop smart to
live well.
Plan your shopping trip ahead of time: Write a shopping list, so you'll
spend less and stay on track for healthier choices.

Eat before you go shopping, so you're not tempted by high-calorie junk
foods.

Buy fewer processed foods and prepared meals, which are often unhealthier
choices.

In the store, spend more time in the fruit-and-veggie section than in the
other departments.

Load your cart with more fresh produce, whole grains, and fish. Skip or
breeze through the inside aisles of the market, which usually feature
expensive, less-healthy packaged and processed foods.

Load up on frozen and canned vegetables, too, so you have them on hand
anytime.

Go to farmers' markets - they are gold mines for super-fresh, seasonal
produce.

Don't be fooled by health claims on the front of food packages. Remember,
"low-fat" or "nonfat" is not the same thing as "low-calorie." Low-fat foods
can be high in calories.

Focus on the key stats on the Nutrition Facts labels - calories, fat,
sodium, cholesterol, and fiber.

If your supermarket offers prepared meals without full Nutrition Facts on
the package, talk to the manager or e-mail the CEO to let him or her know
that you won't buy them without this critical information.

Shop for whole-grain rice, bread, pasta, and cereals; limit pastries,
sweetened cereals, and other high-sugar foods.

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    *Shop Smart
    *The first step toward healthy eating is stocking up on fresh, delicious
    foods. But if you tend to spend more time in the packaged-foods aisles than
    the produce aisle at the grocery store, your food-shopping routine may be
    ready for an overhaul. Here are some tips that will help you shop smart to
    live well.
    Plan your shopping trip ahead of time: Write a shopping list, so you'll
    spend less and stay on track for healthier choices.

Eat before you go shopping, so you're not tempted by high-calorie junk
    foods.

Buy fewer processed foods and prepared meals, which are often unhealthier
    choices.

In the store, spend more time in the fruit-and-veggie section than in the
    other departments.

Load your cart with more fresh produce, whole grains, and fish. Skip or
    breeze through the inside aisles of the market, which usually feature
    expensive, less-healthy packaged and processed foods.

Load up on frozen and canned vegetables, too, so you have them on hand
    anytime.

Go to farmers' markets - they are gold mines for super-fresh, seasonal
    produce.

Don't be fooled by health claims on the front of food packages. Remember,
    "low-fat" or "nonfat" is not the same thing as "low-calorie." Low-fat foods
    can be high in calories.

Focus on the key stats on the Nutrition Facts labels - calories, fat,
    sodium, cholesterol, and fiber.

If your supermarket offers prepared meals without full Nutrition Facts on
    the package, talk to the manager or e-mail the CEO to let him or her know
    that you won't buy them without this critical information.

Shop for whole-grain rice, bread, pasta, and cereals; limit pastries,
    sweetened cereals, and other high-sugar foods.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Eatting healthy is so exspensive! Thats the reson I havent lost none, Ive actually gained! Fruits and veggies and chicken and stuff is so dang high!
    ONE DAY I WILL BE ABLE TO BUY WHAT I WANT AND EAT WHAT I WANT...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Eatting healthy is so exspensive! Thats the reson I havent lost none, Ive actually gained! Fruits and veggies and chicken and stuff is so dang high!
    ONE DAY I WILL BE ABLE TO BUY WHAT I WANT AND EAT WHAT I WANT...
    I so often hear many say the same thing, but to me fast foods and junk foods are SO much more expensive because they don't satify you and it's a vicious cycle to break, you eat junk then you crave more junk (aka simple carbs..very addicting!), then you eat more...well and on and on it goes.

I wonder if many of us had kept track of how much we ate out, ate less than healthy, binge days etc. just how much MORE that would have cost than healthy eating... least that's how I see it.

Without much money everything is expensive, but food that's healthy goes much further for me than the way I used to eat several years back. No nutrition, junk, and fast foods...they weren't CHEAP that's for sure, in more than $$!

FC:heart:
  • FoxyLoxy
    FoxyLoxy Posts: 80 Member
    True - I am finding that although it seems more expensive to purchase lots of produce and other healthy items it does stretch further, especially with my kids. If they have a "sweet treat" they are begging for more to eat in 30 minutes but I have always kept fresh fruit on hand that they are now big enough to get themselves and they are much more content and satisfied for much longer. Now if I can just retrain my own cravings to curve that way...

Thanks for the helpful info Fitness_Chick :smile:
  • Katgod318
    Katgod318 Posts: 70 Member
    I have made a habit of refusing to by "premade" foods. I won't even buy frozen pizzas anymore. They have soooo much more fat and calories in them than if I take the time to prepare them myself. Besides the preservatives are horrible for you. Most preservatives are high in sodium, fat, calories, sugar, and many other unhealthy things. I would rather by fresh foods and spices to make my own version of the dishes. Don't get me wrong I am not a complete health nut, there are alot of things I can't see eating, but every little bit helps. I understand the cost of fresh meats. When it comes to chicken, however, that is something that I will by frozen. It seems to be more of a convenience charge for it to already be thawed. LOL. Besides I like having lots of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in the freezer. It makes dinners SOOOOO much easier.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Fitness-chick, :love: . Thanks from the bottom of my :heart: :wink: .

karennewman, I so agree with you. When cooking, you know exactly what and how much you put in it. You can make it just as good, by only putting 1 TBS of oil in the frying pan. Whereas in the restaurants, I doubt they save up on oil or butter :wink: .

I find the article useful also because it's not yelling "stay away from sugars", but says "limit". As Tami and I agreed in our exchange of emails (:love: , Tami), the key is "reduce" not "forbid".

As expensive as it is, it's our health! And sickness is just as expensive, medicines are too. Plus, it hurts :cry: ! So even if we don't afford to buy only organic food, we can still choose fruit instead of chocolate, say.

Anyway, long story to just put it short: FC, you are so lovable :wink: .
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Great thread, as always, FC!

Avoid the fancy packaging and flashy advertising like the plague! Buy as many one-ingredient items as you can, and combine them at home to make delicious and healthy foods. That way you always have a better idea what's actually in your food. (I think that's already been said, but it's worth repeating.) This saves money -- and health! -- because it removes the low-nutrient and high-chemical items from your shopping list.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Bump as a "Good Sunday morning" :smile:
  • Thanks FC, this is a great thread. It's acutally the perfect time for me to be reading it. I just exercised and I am getting ready to head to the grocery store. I just started this past week, and today will be the real first day of grocery shopping for me. I have been dealing with what I have at home since I started so this will be nice to be able to have a lot of fresh fruit in the house.

I agree about the money. I've been telling my doctor that for the last 2 years, and now that my husband just got his hours cut it will be rough. My thought at this point for me is that first of all I am having to take way to many medications for any 31 to be taking. I so desperately want to enjoy my kids while they are young, and no amount of money will be able to buy that back if I miss it. So starting today my grocery shopping will be done with a purpose of cleaning up our way of eating. I'm sure if we get all the junk out of our systems we will all benefit so much.

How wonderful will life be when I don't have restrictions like roller coasters, carnival rides, turn styles, etc.

I can't wait to watch this pay off. I'm so motivated it's scary. Thank you guys so much for all your tips and comments. Even though I haven't commented on too many I love to read them. They really inspire me.

127766.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
This discussion has been closed.