Best foods for late at night

Options
tisamg
tisamg Posts: 62 Member
I have searched a bit for a thread on this topic, but haven't found the exact answer... sorry if I'm asking something that has been discussed before.... and I don't know if this is the right forum for my question. Mods, please move to Fitness and Exercise if you see fit :smile:

Sometimes I end up working out late in the evening. For instance, tonight I worked out from 7:30-8:30 (that's late for me). I ate at 6, but now I have more calories to eat. I'm not worried about eating late, as I think that a calorie is a calorie and I fueled myself fine earlier in the day to handle the workout.

My question is what type of foods are best to eat late at night, workout or no workout? Protein? Carbs? Fat? I notice that sometimes when I work out in the evenings I sleep like a baby that night and other times I toss and turn. Is that from the food I'm eating post workout? I mostly run, so I think that I should be eating carbs, but I don't want them to keep me up all night.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with late night eating. I prefer dessert at night which is usually ice cream or something with greek yogurt

if it's post workout some sort of protein would be beneficial though
  • tthomps71
    Options
    Something high in protein after 7pm is my rule. A protein shake mixed in water, greek yogurt is great, 2% String cheese or even some lean turkey lunch meat.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    The only things I eat late are protein shakes or greek yogurt (fage 0% -- not the stuff that has more sugar than protein.)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want :D !
  • Kellyjackiejj
    Options
    I had the same question because I work and work out late....Imy problem is I crave carbs like popcorn...I like the low fat string cheese or skinny cow cheeses, which seem to be a good option.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I had the same question because I work and work out late....Imy problem is I crave carbs like popcorn...I like the low fat string cheese or skinny cow cheeses, which seem to be a good option.

I love all of these -- but they are incredibly high in sodium which makes me bloat up and retain if I do it before bed.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will stick with the protein for now.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I like ribs or steak
  • jenna066
    Options
    egg whites, veggies, greek yogurt, protein shakes