What is your daily calorie burn target?

Options
I'm just curious to see what everyone else's goals for daily calorie burns are. I generally reach a 200-300 calorie cardio burn [not including the strength training I do] and have sometimes felt disappointed because that is all I've managed in 25-30 minutes of straight cardio, but I don't know how to increase it without spending several hours in the gym. I don't want to risk overtraining. Should I just be happy with this daily burn?

Thanks for reading my post.

Replies

• Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    200-300 in 25-30 minutes is an excellent burn plus strength training is really efficient for burning calories as I believe even after you're done strength training your body is burn calories more efficiently for a 24 hour time period or so but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone with slightly better knowledge than I will come in and correct me if I am wrong.

You should be happy with that, If I go the gym and i'm on a strict time limit say an hour or less I can burn 400 in 50 minutes to an hour if I push myself.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It seems as an snowboarder you are pretty fit in any case - so that sort of calorie burns are great!!
    When I was very unfit I used to get really big burns, but now that i am fit I have to work double as hard to get the same calorie burns...

I do agree - make sure you do some weight training as well - there is definitely a "after burn" effect. My trainer kept on telling me this - I just got a bodymedia fit - if I sit on the couch I burn about 1.5 calories per minute.... yesterday after my weight training I kept burning over 4 calories a minute for a couple of hours after training - it was the first time that I actually saw the proof in real life!!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A simple answer is yes, provided those 30 minutes are spent actually working. To be effective at any kind of fitness, you need to work at a certain percentage of your max heart rate (many tables exist out there with those figures) for the majority of your workout. If you aren't pushing your boundaries and aren't at least a little uncomfortable for a while, you aren't working hard enough; instead, you're just wasting time. In my opinion, if you are only burning 200 calories per workout, you are nowhere near overtraining. You'll get results in direct proportion to what you put in.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    And to answer your original question, my daily goal is 500-1500 per 30-90 min workout.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    600cal per hour of working out. if i dont have sweat running in my eyes by the end of my workout, i know i havent made enough effort
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. Let me adendum this by saying since I ballroom dance I generally expend about 400 calories per hour when dancing. So I'm only looking to add to that. I don't generally count any of my dancing in my daily workout totals since it's part of what I do normally in a day. That being said, I don't waste time during any workouts but I don't burn as many calories during strength training and I always focus at least half of my regimen on this. A 15 minute jog resulted in 160 calories burnt. I've only been jogging for a week or so, so I can't really do more than this right now but will up the speed and time limits as my endurance increases. I don't generally like running but it seems to result in the highest cardio calorie burn for me in the gym.