Calories and workouts

Options
I am sooooo totally confused and need some help. It is logical that the more calories you burn the more weight you will lose. So, what I don't understand is if I eat 1,300 calories and burn 800 for that day why would I want to eat more? That is not making any kind of deficit and I don't understand how you will lose weight that way.

I would think if I eat 1,300 calories and my body burns 1,800 just normally in everday activities and I burn another 800 working out, then that should be fine and I wouldn't want to eat the calories that I worked off. I just do not understand.

This was my first week. I made sure to eat my calories and workout, but I did not eat the extra calories I earned by working out and I still lost 5 pounds this week. I know normal weight loss is 2 pounds per week, but I was eating a diet very high in fat before and I have really reduced the fat in my diet. I am hoping to continue to see these results for a while, but I know soon enough it will plateau off to a 2 pound weight loss.

Any advice?

Replies

• JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am sooooo totally confused and need some help. It is logical that the more calories you burn the more weight you will lose. So, what I don't understand is if I eat 1,300 calories and burn 800 for that day why would I want to eat more? That is not making any kind of deficit and I don't understand how you will lose weight that way.

I would think if I eat 1,300 calories and my body burns 1,800 just normally in everday activities and I burn another 800 working out, then that should be fine and I wouldn't want to eat the calories that I worked off. I just do not understand.

This was my first week. I made sure to eat my calories and workout, but I did not eat the extra calories I earned by working out and I still lost 5 pounds this week. I know normal weight loss is 2 pounds per week, but I was eating a diet very high in fat before and I have really reduced the fat in my diet. I am hoping to continue to see these results for a while, but I know soon enough it will plateau off to a 2 pound weight loss.

Any advice?
  • BeauPuppy
    Options
    The article above is beneficial, but in short and sweet terms: if you eat the calories allotted (even counting the ones for exercise) that figures to a weight loss of 1 pound a week. If you don't eat all the calories allotted that is additional weight lost that week. Don't fall too much below calories allotted on several consecutive days or your body will go into "starve mode" and you won't lose any weight.
  • BeauPuppy
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 pound
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel....I wanted some logic to it but it didnt seem logical until I understood the body protecting itself when we starve it.....the funny thing is if you eat you lose weight.....under all the other circumstances...we just need to be patient with the amount and speed we lose the extra weight...

bottom line ...eat those exercise calories....
    good luck
    Dave:smile:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You probably lost 5 lbs this first week mostly from shocking your body and due to water weight loss.

MFP already builds a 500 calorie deficit for you to lose 1 pound/week. If you exercise, your deficit/day will be larger. However, 1-2 lbs/ week is the most healthy way to lose weight and keep it off. If you burn off too many calories without replenishing them, not only are you knocking out the cals from exercise, but ALSO the 500+ that MFP ALREADY knocks out for you.

Eat what MFP suggests. It's worked for me and soooo many other people on here...