How much did you lose on your first week?

Options
Just wondering about what people's numbers are for their first week. I am weighing in tomorrow and I don't think I have lost much even though I have exercised most of the week and I have eaten reasonably healthy. I suppose everyone's first week is different though right?

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yup, everyone is different. I lost 9lbs my first 9 days here on MFP.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    oh wow! that's heaps!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 pounds in my first week!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    5 pounds. The second time I jumped on the band wagon- 0!
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    big numbers, i think i've lost about 1 kg (2 pounds)
  • Angie8329
    Options
    Hiya, I lost 1lb which is what I aimed to do - sensible weightloss hopefully will mean it stays off - let me know how the weigh-in goes.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    6lbs but that was a combination of water weight and TOTM weight....
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    :D thanks, and yes, as long as I keep on track , it will eventually shed off .
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    0.6 kg (1.3 pounds) i had my goal set at 2 pounds.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    phew, im not the only one.. :D and yeah it only goes to 2 pounds.. which is why I love this site, gives you sensible goals
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    I lost 8.2 lbs the first week, but most of it was just from cleansing my body.

But, here's a story of mine that should make you feel better if you happen not to lose much.

Last week (my third), I was feeling a bit uninspired. I set around playing videogames all weekend. I was under calorie goal each day, but just wasn't feeling it. I lost 4.8 lbs.

This week (my fourth), I decided to shake things up a bit, trying to keep myself motivated. I bought a stationary bike and have ridden it 3 of the last 5 days. I was again under calorie goal each day. I gained 0.6 lbs.

My point is the scale doesn't measure your fat, it measures how much your entire body weighs. Which means muscle or water (two very good things) can make it weigh more. Many people don't lose much if anything their first week, because the body is trying to figure out what's going on. If you stick with it, I bet either next or possibly the week after that you will see a nice result on the scale. Cheers!

P.S. Welcome to the site. It's a nice place with nice people. You'll enjoy it.
  • tearose4
    tearose4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's typical to have a really big loss the first week. A change in eating patterns gets a big response from your body at first and then your body will adjust a bit to something more steady. That can be a mixed blessing -- on one hand that first week's loss can give you a lot of enthusiasm but brace yourself -- losing a smaller amount on week two doesn't mean you failed. Sometimes it can feel that way.

Even a 1kg loss is fantastic! Remember to make lasting changes they need to be gradual. Good luck! :happy:
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    thank you for the kind words!! :)
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    i lost about 7lbs in first week and so far 4lb in just over another week, so its starting to slow down x
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    30 lbs. started at nearly 500 lbs. went cold turkey on soda pop. haven't drank any since Dec. 2009.
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    that always helps , cutting things out of your diet that you constantly ate/drank, i heard of someone who was a regular customer at Mcdonalds and they cut out the fizzy drink and chips, only got the burger and water and had lost a lot of weight just by doing that.
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    i started at 240lb, and i loved biscuits my weight gain was buscuits and having a baby and then 2 more angel pregnancys, but i cut out the biccys and walk everywere, any loss is good hun. x
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds in my first week.:smile:
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 my first week and 4.5 my second. I figure that for me it was cutting out the soda and adding water that made such a drastic difference. Since then I have maintained a 2 pound/week (average) weight loss, but I had a lot of weight to lose.

Congrats on the 2 pounds! Be careful comparing your loss to others, as everyone is different. Losing weight slowly and responsibly is the best way to succeed and keep it off long term - great start!
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I gained 0.8 (weighed this monday!) but that's probably because I wasn't eating enough before i started. I weighed again on wednesday though and i had lost those 0.8 pounds. *shrug*

I'm hoping to lose about 1 pound a week for now on, sometimes more sometimes less :)