Water retention

Options
Ok I have a HUGE water retention issue.. I don't add salt to anything, BUT I know that there is sodium in things I eat. I think I finally have figured out my biggest issue.. it isn't just the salt.. I drink any where from a liter to 2 liters of water when I'm working out and I GENERALLY work out 8-9pm and I am generally in bed 10:30-11:00pm. When I get up I'm soooo bloated.. anyone have any suggestions how to stop the bloat or am I just going to have to deal with it?

Replies

• JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Water isn't a bad thing. I don't think you need to worry about it too much.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Too be honest, I've never heard of drinking too much water, especially for exercise. Your muscle need the water to help recover.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Try drinking green tea and peppermint tea. Either of those may help.
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Foods that cause you to release fluid:

celery
    onion
    parsley
    garlic
    peppermint
    eggplant
    cabbage
    cranberries
    asparagus
    corn
    cucumber
    grapes
    watermelon

I've also read that bananas can help get rid of the extra fluids! I always have them!
    If you're expecting your period soon, this could be one of the reasons too!

Feel better soon! xoxo
  • CJHURTT
    Options
    I had water retention issues this week also. I was told to start adding lemon to my water. I have added a sodium tracker column to my food tracker also.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Drinking water won't cause you to retain water; drinking lots of water is actually super good for you. I was under the impression it actually flushes things like too much sodium out of your system and thus helps you loose unecessary water weight but I'm no nutritionist. I just know it's great for our bodies in so many ways. (-: I don't know if adding lemon to water helps or not but I'm definitely going to do that today just so I don't get so bored with drinking water; that's a good tip!
  • teamiconic
    teamiconic Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bloated is bloated and water retention is water retention. You could have this feeling because of something you ate in the day. Not having a proper post workout SHAKE. You are going to sleep right after you workout so what ever you eat or drink is not getting time to digest before you go to sleep and a meal will have you bloated in the morning.

Take a look at those things first...
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yeah water isn't the problem. most people walk around 2 liters in dehydration in a normal day. but you definitely should decrease your sodium intake below 4 grams a day if your blood pressure is below 120/80.. below 3 grams/day if your blood pressure is over that.
    about the bloating; yeah salt will do that. but good thing is that you will pee it all out, so the weight won't stick with you.
    but don't stop drinking water, more you drink the better!!!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Too be honest, I've never heard of drinking too much water, especially for exercise. Your muscle need the water to help recover.

Being bloated is fine... its when you feel extremely dehydrated. Maybe its also because you drink most of your water at once? If you could spread it evenly throughout the day that might also help.

I personally have a friend whom drank too much water during a wrestling meet. He drank gallons of water that day, and his body reacted to all the water he was intaking by flushing it out, but it was flushing it out so quickly that it dehydrated him and made him seem thirsty even more! He had to see a doctor and drink some pedialyte lol~ he learned his lesson.