cycling seat hurts my crotch, lol

Options
2»

Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    get some padded shorts, they make them in road- biking and mountain-biking styles (mountainbiking ones have a "looser" short over top of the mesh padded/fitted short)

and get a cutout bike seat that takes pressure of your pubic bones

Or maybe stand for intervals? I get super sore after biking rocky trails, i find standing a bit helps
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to those who tell you that you have to get used to CROTCH pain or numbness or chafing--totally WRONG. Sit bone pain/tenderness, yes...that is a matter of the tissues and muscles around your sit bones toughening up (I never have any sit bone pain, anymore, not even after riding across the state of MI in Aug. on a rock-hard saddle). But pain up front is a whole 'nother issue, entirely. You shouldn't have major discomforts in your genitals. If you do, then something isn't right with the fit of the bike or the saddle or your shorts.

Smooshy saddles and/or covers = bad. Your sit bones sink into the cushion, then the displaced cushion smashes into your soft tissues up front. Firmer saddle is better. Also make sure the saddle is the right width to support your sit bones. If it's too narrow, then you are essentially straddling the saddle and your crotch and pubic bone end up bearing your weight. Also, if your saddle is too high you will end up see-sawing back and forth with each pedal stroke, effectively grinding your groin into hamburger.

Padded short are golden--NO undies. A chamois lube or butter is good stuff, too. I like That Butt Stuff and Brave Soldier Friction Zone. Make sure your shorts are snug and don't have slack to slide around.

Kirsten (who has logged >3500 miles on the bike this year)
  • alj2014
    alj2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    zoom2 knows what she's talking about. Bike shorts are a good investement, and you can get some at Academy for $25-30, which is half the price of a bike shop, esepcially if you're just needing them for spin class. There's no reason to keep doing something that hurts, that will just discourage you from wanting to do it!

Also, talk to the instructor of the class. They are usually more than happy to help you make sure your bike is adjusted right and everything. You can always go your own pace in a spin class, no one will judge you if you have to stand up (and if they do, that's their problem not yours!)

Good luck!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    See if you can adjust the bike set-up (or use a different bike) so that you can sit in a more upright posture.
    You could also try tilting the seat slightly forward to take pressure off the crotch, though that puts a lot more weight on your hands.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    folks in spin class laugh at me when i come in my lycra gear but im not sore ;)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bikes don't give you wegies. You get the same workout without sitting on a fencepost:laugh:
    'Bents are best.:glasses:

And try to do intervals. It will give you short high intensity workouts.