Same thing every day?

Options
AmandaJ
AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
I am sure this has been asked a million times before but I am having trouble finding it.

Every morning for the last two weeks I have rode my exercise bike and then for the last 10 days or so, I have been walking. My question is, do I do this every day all week long and that is okay. Or do I rest a day or what? I enjoy both so I am not trying to get out of either. I am just not sure which is the best for my body. I have 53 more pounds to lose and I am out of shape. I have been increasing my bicycle time, I have now tripled it since I started and my walks are some days about distance and others about speed and some days about hills.

Does it matter if I do it seven days a week? Is that better or worse. The extra exercise calories motivate me because I like to eat more. :laugh: I also began lifting a 10 lb dumbell every other day.

Am I on the right track?

Replies

• AmandaJ
    Options
    I am sure this has been asked a million times before but I am having trouble finding it.

Every morning for the last two weeks I have rode my exercise bike and then for the last 10 days or so, I have been walking. My question is, do I do this every day all week long and that is okay. Or do I rest a day or what? I enjoy both so I am not trying to get out of either. I am just not sure which is the best for my body. I have 53 more pounds to lose and I am out of shape. I have been increasing my bicycle time, I have now tripled it since I started and my walks are some days about distance and others about speed and some days about hills.

Does it matter if I do it seven days a week? Is that better or worse. The extra exercise calories motivate me because I like to eat more. :laugh: I also began lifting a 10 lb dumbell every other day.

Am I on the right track?
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine. Although one day a week I would choose to do just one activity, walk or bike. I'm an avid runner and I can tell you from experience that taking one "easy" day each week is your best bet for not over training. But also go by how your body feels. If you are just exhausted, take a day off. Or, an even better gauge, check your resting heart rate. Before you even get out of bed check your pulse, if it is more than 8 beats per minute faster than your normal resting heart rate then you need to back off. And elevated heart rate first thing in the morning means you are over doing it. Hope this helps.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You have to give your muscles a day or so to rest at least. Strenth training must be done along with cardio or you won't get optimum results. Cardio should be 3-4 days/wk or so, alternating with strength training in between. Never do the same muscle group 2 days in a row because your muscle needs to recover. And of course, watching what you eat is a must. 6.gif
  • crosstitcher0563
    Options
    Hi:flowerforyou:
    I take one day off a week of exercising in the gym, but I walk my dog on that day. So, I do something everyday. When I'm working out at the gym, I like to do a variety of things: step aerobics, stationary bike, rowing machine, elliptical, and treadmill. This way I don't get bored, the workout goes faster, and my body doesn't get used to one exercise.

You have to do what you like otherwise you won't stick to it. Just move every day.

118689.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hurt you, getting some form of exercise every day is recommended, if you look at evolution of man over the last 100 years, it used to be normal for people to get some form of exercise every day back in the day before everyone had a car. As long as you aren't burning yourself out and you enjoy it, I can't see why it would be a problem to do some cardio every day. Weight training on the other hand does need days of rest in between to allow your muscles to repair themselves. If it makes me feel good, I do it. Every person is individual. Just my two cents.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. I think I will continue to do what I am doing. I may not ride the exercise bike today because mom and I are planning a five mile walk and that is double what we have been doing, with one steep hill in it. I rode the bike, walked and took the kids bowling yesterday so my body is tired today.

I know that my weight loss journey will be hard with many ups and downs but I want to make sure I am doing this exercise thing correctly. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question! :flowerforyou: