Really...

Options
So I just decided to have an apple as a healthy snack instead of an Emerald Breakfask on the go mix. I was so proud of my decision until I logged it and saw that the apple had 130 calories and the mix has 180... I am dying with this food logging thing, I am still trying to relearn what to eat.... Anyone else have surprises like this?

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    An average apple is closer to 80-90 cals. When you look a generic food in the DB, choose the option without the asterisks. Those foods weren't submitted by users and there's less chances they're wrong.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the beginning it's hard to believe how many calories fruit has.

The emerald mix was probably the better choice given the protein and fat content, but an apple isn't a BAD choice.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't log apples as that much! I believe 80 cal is about the amount for the ones I've been eating. I, too, learned a lot of what I THOUGHT were better choices, were actually quite high in calories. You really do learn what the better choices are. For months I'd been eating almonds by the ton, thinking it was a healthy snack...which they are, but loaded in calories. lol

However, even if the apple was more calories than you thought, it was likely still the healthier option than a prepackaged, processed type of food. I'm unfamiliar with the product you mentioned, but it sounds like it would be that.

EDIT: from the previous post, I see what you were talking about maybe wasn't all prepackaged and processed...but yes, there IS a learning curve.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    An average apple is closer to 80-90 cals. When you look a generic food in the DB, choose the option without the asterisks. Those foods weren't submitted by users and there's less chances they're wrong.

A large apple like most honey crisps or Sweet Tangos will have 130-160 calories. They have a higher sugar concentration than other apples.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try logging your food before you eat it... Planning ahead will help you a lot.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Apples are about 60-80 calories, depending on size and species. I usuallys eat some low fat string cheese with the apple to give it more substance....

Plus they are high in fiber, and it is good to mix your diet up, too

and...no one gets heavy from eating fruits and veggies...it's the chocolate and donuts that get us :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I never heard of anyone getting fat eating apples...
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I don't log apples as that much! I believe 80 cal is about the amount for the ones I've been eating. I, too, learned a lot of what I THOUGHT were better choices, were actually quite high in calories. You really do learn what the better choices are. For months I'd been eating almonds by the ton, thinking it was a healthy snack...which they are, but loaded in calories. lol

However, even if the apple was more calories than you thought, it was likely still the healthier option than a prepackaged, processed type of food. I'm unfamiliar with the product you mentioned, but it sounds like it would be that.

EDIT: from the previous post, I see what you were talking about maybe wasn't all prepackaged and processed...but yes, there IS a learning curve.

Thing is almonds are a good snack - yes high in calories but also good for protein and healthy fats.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    This!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I did at first. I thought I was picking healthy meals then would come and log and be totally shocked. Now I've started using the database and if I can't decide between things, I'll check out the info on here, or the calories on the packaging if it has any. I don't worry too much about calories from fruit or veggies. If I go over with an apple or banana it's like I didn't go over at all.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Hgh calorie and high fat does not necessarily mean bad food. Your body needs the fats as well.
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Do you know of anyone only eating apples? I would love to see how that lifestyle works.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I once saw a post too where a gal weighed her apple whole, ate all but the core, and then weighed just the core, it saved her about 40 calories! So cutting the apple and weighing it will also help to get more accurate calories.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

A 150g apple has 80 cals, larger apples are closer to 130 - use a scale for the greatest accuracy (and of course allows you to delete the core, if you are slicing it that is)

Eating a non-processed fruit full of nutrients and fiber over a packaged product is always the better choice, you did the right thing.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

If you eat enough, you'll get fat from it, as you'll make a calorie surplus. Hell, even lettuce can do it.
  • schmenly
    schmenly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, I do know it was a better choice, just hard when you see the numbers looking back at you.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You're feeling guilty about an apple?!?

An apple a day, right?

There's so many health benefits of eating apples. Please don't just look at it as a calorie number or anything like that.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I once saw a post too where a gal weighed her apple whole, ate all but the core, and then weighed just the core, it saved her about 40 calories! So cutting the apple and weighing it will also help to get more accurate calories.

Not trying to be mean here...but as they say on Icanhazcheeseburger..."you're doing it wrong"

If you have to start weighing your FRUIT, you're missing the point.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options

This is a really good idea. I do it all the time, especially when going out to eat. It has helped dramatically.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Not trying to be mean here...but as they say on Icanhazcheeseburger..."you're doing it wrong"

If you have to start weighing your FRUIT, you're missing the point.

I disagree. Calories can make you gain weight, even if they come from fruit and vegetables. Precision is better than guessing when it comes to counting calories.